Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS vs. Stroke

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS vs. Stroke

One of my first symptoms was loss of vision in one eye (left).  I would go blind for a few minutes then the vision would come back. This would happen for several hours again and again during the day than be fine again. Maybe a day or two later it would happen again. At the time I figured I was just over tired or something as it would be months between episodes It has been over 2 years since the last time this happened.

About 2 years ago when I was reffered to a Neuro due to peripheral Neuropaty I had a brain MRI done. The Neuro said I had 3 small strokes in the vision area of my brain. I had a brain MRI also done about 4 years ago which showed nothing. So my question is could a MS leison be mistaken for a stroke?

Also for the last few months I have been having something new going on with my left eye. It is hard to discribe, the best I can figure out is it feels like I'm looking through a telescope with that eye dispite having ok peripheral vision. This will happen for several hours a day for several days in a row, then go away for about a month. Does this sound like another MS symptom?

I did just have my eyes checked at the VA (with a new Rx) and have an appointment coming up to have my peripheral Vision tested due to elevated pressure in my eyes.

Dennis
Hi Dennis,
1st, I am totally unqualtified to answer your questions, so get the salt shaker ready for anything I have to say!

From my limited understanding, some very small MRI intensities can be non-specific.  That is, when we have little holes in our brains, it can be difficult to say whether ischemia, MS, Lyme, or a host of other causes put them there.  

I don't know specifically if there would be confusion between small stroke and small MS lesions, just that in general there can be non-specific abnormalities on MRI.  Often, the MRI results need other clinical correlation to be fully understood.

I'm glad you have an appointment coming up.  If possible, try to see an opthamologist, an MD who diagnoses and treats diseases of the eye.

Good luck, sorry I can't be of more help.
Hi Dennis,

I too am not qualified by any means, however, tend to have to put trust in what they saw on those films. If I were doubtful though, I'd try to get a 2nd read on them - just to be sure.  The hard part though with that is, trying to find a Dr. who will actually review themselves.  It's been my experience and others on the forum that they take those reports from radiology to the bank.

It is my understanding that demyelination looks different than ischemia, but again, I'm not trained or qualified to state in fact.

Did your MRIs say non-specific? Did you get a copy of your reports?
What is the course of action to prevent future strokes?

be well,
Shell