Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS without Meds

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS without Meds

I have many questions for those of you lived with MS before the meds were available:

How long did you live with the disease before the meds were available?  What health changes did you see in this time?  

What is your treatment history, where are you now, and what has your MS been like since the meds?  

I know I've asked a lot of questions, but personal histories just can't be found in the drug pamphlets.
My MS doc has very conservative ideas about my particular presentation and the meds.  (I have brain lesions, but no spinal lesions.  I have elevated IGG, but no O-bands.)  I'll be going back to see him this Thursday and am preparing to have another LP . . . woopie!!!  If the IGG is still abnormal, he will be less conservative.  :)  

Thanks a bunch,

Sherry

Finding my way,

Sherry
I was diagnoised with MS in '88.  At that time the only drugs were those to treat symptoms.  The first MS drug was Betaseron.  There were so many patients that wanted the drug that the company held a lottery.  My number was 3967.  Since then I have been on several different treatments.  My MS has progressed but I know it would be much worse if I had not treatment at all.

MS is differnent with every patient.  What works for me might not work for you.  That is why it is great to have so many options now.  I have been on Betaseron, methatrexate, Copaxone, Novantrone ,  participated in one drug study and am being evaluated for another.

My first thought is to find another dr.  The current thinking is to start shot thearapy as soon as MS is suspected.  This gives you the best chance to slow the progression.  I have been with the same dr for 20 yrs and would not change for anything.  

Always remember that research is going on and the cure is out there for someone to find.  Stay positive and remember that there is much more to your life that having MS.

Good luck,

Elsie
Hi, I'm one of those people who hasn't been diagnosed yet; have only been reading about MS for about 2-3 weeks.

When you are on meds, and you mentioned you've been on several ones, what specifically are they for? Do they do MRI's on you to see if one symptom has left and that negates the need for one type of med? So then another symptom pops up and you get switched to a new type of med?

Sorry if this sounds really uneducated about the use of meds.

I am not really good about even taking a daily multivitamin or calcium tablet (I have had to have my esophagus stretched because I would gag on things, and now my throat is getting a lumpy feeling again). However, MS meds are injections, so I guess I would have to do that kind of medicinal treatment, not an OPTION!

Thanks,
Suzanne