Multiple Sclerosis Community
Marijuana extracts shown to help spasticity

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

For those of you who are curious about marijuana and its affects, they've done some research on cannabinoid and THC extracts for MS patients with spasticity.  These studies actually show an improvement in spasticity.  This is the first study I've heard of that actually shows improvement - until now, it's all been hearsay.

This is a competitor's news story, but I've used tinyurl to shorten the url and with any luck, it won't be censored.

http://tinyurl.com/ycaonzq
They recently released a study that examined 6 studies which were done to evaluate the effects of these extracts on MS.  And what you report is what they found.  Previously, the testimonial reports of MJ have long reported an easing of pain and spasticity from its use.  Prior studies have found that 1) it helps, 2) it doesn't help and 3) that it worsens.

The differences in the results, in my mind, have to do with the preparation of the extracts, what end-outcome is looked at and the oppressive political atmosphere that is bent on denying that anything associated to marijuana could "ever" be useful.

There has been some recent reports of further brain damage and of an increase in dizziness with THC.  What is rarely looked at is the risk/benefit.  Given a disease like this that can destroy all quality of life in some and leave them in intractable pain from spasm and spasticity, might some people opt for more dizziness or an increase in cognitive slowing?  With the amount of cog fog we have anyway, a small increase might be an acceptable trade-off.

This kind of discussion is what brought Tysabri back to the market ofter it had been yanked for the cases of PML.   The MS community, physicians and patients, felt that the documented improvement possible with the drug was worth it's possible side effects.  This community demanded the "choice" given that what we had was a poor substitute.

The rabid anti-drug, or anti-anything that might be related to an illegal drug, fervor has deeply hindered this research and this discussion.  I find this hypocritical in a society where cigarettes and alcohol are quite legal and far more deadly.  I hope the discussion can continue and also look for a form of the drug that does not induce a "high", or have other delerious effects on the brain, but that still can help those of us that need it.

Thanks, Jen.

Quix
My 2cents on this.....

THC may cause dizziness, But that is a side effect of a lot of the meds we now take anyhow.
And......The trade off of  Marijuana (THC) is the THC might cause possible cog fog (which again we have anyway) vs the DMD's, that have a direct definate affect on the liver and the kidneys as does some of the oral RX that we are prescribed.

It's six of one or half dozen of the other. There will always be contraversy on this topic!

I personally, if it were legal in my state, would rather ingest (not necessarily smoking, perhaps in a tea) the benefits of the Marijuana than take all these meds I am on now. Knowing that my RX and DMD may be helping one thing....but harming something else (kidney's, Liver) in my body is a bit of a concern.

As far as producing a "High", Well some folks are on several pain meds, benzo's, Valium, muscle relaxers, and whatever else. And lets face it...........truth be told .....these do cause a "high" in people.  So, if it can be legalized and one of the side affects be a bit  "high" then my liver and kidney's say "Yippee".   Besides the dose could always be adjusted so your not walking around like a stoner  :)

Be safe.
~Tonya

Tonya, just to clarify.  
MJ (THC) is for controlling spasticity which is a symptom of MS.  The DMD's help to control the course of the disease itself.  

THC is not a substitute for DMD's.  You would still want to take the DMD's ...

It would be nice if there was one drug that could substitute for all the other stuff we have to ingest, but it unfortunately does not work that way.

be well,
Lulu
edit - I meant other "deleterious" effects, but delerious (sp) effects might still be appropriate, lol.

Q
Oh Sorry Lulu,
I thought you were referring to this article on cannabinoids and it actually SLOWING the entire progress of MS not just treating spasticity. Here is that article.....Research begins this summer.

Chemical in Marijuana to Slow Multiple Sclerosis?
Tuesday May 19, 2009

The NIH has granted Temple University researchers $1.5 million to test a laboratory-made version of cannabinoids for slowing the progress of multiple sclerosis. Cannabinoids are found in nature in the marijuana plant. Researchers believe that this class of chemicals can create immune suppression, which just might help in multiple sclerosis.

Much like steroids (but with fewer side effects and much more selectively), cannabinoids can "switch off" a portion of the immune response and bring down inflammation and "hyperactivity" of immune cells, possibly preventing (or slowing) some of the damage caused to the myelin by immune cells. It does this by interacting with the receptors on specific immune cells.

Temple researchers have synthesized a compound that has this calming effect on the immune system without any of the psychoactive effects that are associated with marijuana. This four-year research project begins this summer. If successful, this could be a lovely addition to potential MS treatments

Take Care,
~Tonya
Tonya, thanks for that link.  It is just an initial study to check out a theory, but it bears watching.

Quix
Tonya,
There is lots of THC research going on - I have friends who live in the same area as a major pharmaceutical greenhouse in England.  I had not heard about the Temple study - that will be another one to watch. Thanks for the updated info.

my best,
Lu
I can speak from personal experience...

I recently started to smoke pot agin because of folks telling me it might help. And it did for a few months.But it started to make my eye issues and headaches worse after a while. So I have not smoked any for about a week. I am having trouble sleeping but it seems that other things have gotten better since I stopped smoking it.
I know that with it I can eat and sleep and without it I can not.  As for spasticity, I would like to see a pill form that would replace all these muscle relaxers.  
I think pot kept my from figuring out I had MS years ago but my spasticity has increased greatly in the last year since my dx so maybe there is a tolerance problem there.
My opinion is if it helps i would be more then willing to start to smoke again if that meant lowering down my pills i have to take now.  And also the weed you get from a dealer is absolutly different then the weed you get from a doctor or store in cali lol  They can give you the proper weed that only helps with your certain issues. I was just watching a show on that on tv
I'm just glad to see that there's new real research out there, because I've been saying for years that marijuana is beneficial.  But without positive proof - and of course the onus of possible cognitive problems with MJ - I didn't have a leg to stand on.

I'm still dubious about the results of the study on cognitive decline and marijuana use.  I think that cognitive problems are much more common than people realize, and so any study that focuses on cognitive problems and MS should start with a thorough psych exam before and after.

Like Zacksmomi, I have smoked for many years.  I don't think it's a coincidence that I had my first bad flare about three weeks after I had run out.