Multiple Sclerosis Community
Matters of the Bladder

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Matters of the Bladder

Well, it seems MS has changed my bladder again.  I had urodynamics two years ago because I had frequency and urgency.  I forget what the Dr. called it.  Something with detrusor in the name and he said it was from MS.  

Now, as of a month ago I have still had the frequency but now my bladder doesn't empty all the way.  I still have to urinate more often and still have the urgency.  Has anyone else experienced any bladder changes such as this?  Today, I'm going to the restroom every 5 to 10 minutes.  Last night I got up 5 times just to go.

Due to dexterity issues, I really don't think I would be able to self cath.  I wonder what options I would have.  I don't want to have surgery to get the stimulator implanted for two reasons.  Risk of surgery complications and will not be able to have mri's afterwards.

I'm wondering if any of you might know first hand of other options.  Thanks!
I'm bumping this cause its a hot topic and a lot of people should have something helpful to say. I have urgency and i dont empty that well anymore, have the occasional accident but so far i can work around it. I would have the problem of self cath too, my issue is a constant tremor and the irregular action tremor, the jerk wouldnt be good lol.

Going every 5 to 10 minutes is a bit much, i'm sure someone will have some advice :-)

Cheers......JJ
Deborah, It sounds like time to go back and have further discussions with the uro - that type of frequency obviously is abnormal.  You first need to be checked for a UTI - infections will cause this type of problem.

If you can't empty the bladder you run the increased risk of damage to your kidneys, which begins a whole new set of problems that you really don't want to deal with.

If all else fails, you can have surgery to implant the catheter - we have several women here have a suprapubic catheter and do well with this.  

Whatever the solution, I hope you find some relief soon to this going and going problem.
-Lulu
I've had days when I went every half hour.  Seriously.  Fortunately it slowed down before I went to bed, because I might as well have slept on the toilet.

But fortunately it passes, like many of my symptoms.

I'm with Lulu - the frequency is abnormal.  Also failure to empty the bladder can lead to a UTI, so it's a vicious circle.

Lately my problem is with stress incontinence - any kind of sneeze, cough, or exercise can cause me to leak.
Yeah, what you are going through is definitely not normal. I agree that you need to talk with your urologist about the symptoms. They have several medications for overactive bladder, which, if once you get the urge, you really have to go, could be what you have. The only thing with those drugs is that if you have a problem emptying your bladder, you shouldn't take them because they can make the emptying your bladder thing worse. Helpful, right? Short of cathing, I'm not sure what else can help you empty your bladder.

Well, I do have one suggestion. This may sound weird, but..when you're on the toilet, and once you've gone (you think you're empty) lean forward, and with a  hand, press on your lower stomach. That might help get any other urine out that is still there. It may help, it may not. I have issues with my bladder wanting to go and my "down there" muscles tightening up at the same time, so I use that position to sometimes "override" my pelvic floor muscles. Whatever works, right!

Also, in the meantime, make sure you aren't drinking anything that may irritate the bladder. Because of  my issues, I've been drinking almost exclusively water. I think highly caffeinated stuff (like coffee) would tend to irritate the bladder, plus, since caffeine is a diuretic, it is going to contribute to the going all the time problem. Things like sodas and highly sugared stufff should be avoided, too. Granted, my issues are a bit different than yours, but I've found that keeping hydrated and drinking mostly water seems to help my bladder a bit.

Anyways, hope you get help. Hope this problem goes away quickly!
I don't want to jump into someone else's search for help but I related my problem to my neuro and he told me to see  my gp.  After I go to the loo and do my pee, my bladder within seconds of getting up feels full again.  I try to go again and I can't pass any water or very little and upon standing my bladder instantly feels full again.  I have no pain but it is an awful feeling when you feel like you constantly have to go but when you try there is nothing there!
Could this be related to MS?  I appreciate any information you can pass along!

Lots of Hugs,
Rena