Multiple Sclerosis Community
Merina ( IUD) and MS symptoms?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Merina ( IUD) and MS symptoms?

I have been racking my brain ( and all of your brains too for that matter) to figure out what could cause my

symptoms if not MS. I keep coming back to my IUD Merina... this is getting more strange as I look deeper into it. I

was wondering if any of you have had this ( could also be from other forms of birth control as well, ortho evra, the

patch, injections, and some of the pills available too)

when i cross-reference the symptoms of MS and the same with the complications of birth control, it is quite odd

that they mimic the same things. I have read over 100 different cases of anxiety, palpitations,blur in vision,

migrains, aches, pains, swelling, numbness, thyroid like symptoms, depression,  the list goes on and on.

Although most people ( dr's ) swear that these can't be symptoms of it, once people were taken off of it, they for

the most part, or all, felt better either in less than 5 days or in about a month. Not all the symptoms were better

and some people even were worse...

so my question to yo uis have you ever heard of this, know someone?

the real odd thing is it was brought up to me by my eye dr. ( i know real strange) but when i mentioned the Merina,

he stopped what he was doing and told me I had to speak with one of the ladies that worked in the office, she went

into detail the symptoms ( inc seziures) that she had that finaly once it was removed, she started to fel better. She

even went as far as to mail me the info that had opened her eyes to the possibility of it being connected.. it was

1/2 in. of papers from individual people with their different symptoms and how they effected them in the long run.

She is proof that something changed i her from the time it was put in, while she had it, and the aftermath.

So again, ANYONE ever heard of this?

Anyone else ever question their birth control as a possibility?

Anyone think this is an absurd idea?

please let me know,

Ulanie
Hi there,
I think all sorts of birth control may cause side affects in some people, ie: migraines, heart palpitations etc. etc. the only real way to know would be to have a period off the birth control and see how your symptoms go.

I would discuss this with a neurologist.  What is okay and causes no side affects in one person might cause heaps in another.

For the record I have a marina IUD in place to control my heavy bleeding at period time and I can't say I have noticed my symptoms worse or better... I have neurological symptoms before ever it was put in.  My body rejected it for a while but now I think it was the best decision I ever made.  My symptoms usually have clear cut like attacks then they subside and gradually I get improvement, so I almost know the pattern now.

Interesting thought though, who knows what hormones etc. can do to us and how this would affect us, I have always wondered if there is any connection with this sort of thing seeing as MS is much more common in woman than in men.

Take care,
Udkas.
I have to say that this is an interesting discussion.  I too have the Mirena IUD - I am on my second one (7 years with it so far) - and haven't ever thought about it being connected to my neurological problems.  My severe symptoms started 2 years ago - so I don't know if I can make a direct time connection between the two.

Hugs,
Chrisy
hi- I understand about not being able to make a connection between the two, but

some people who had it went quite well in the beginning, and all of a sudden had

problems, or were fine before a child being born, and after when reinserted had

problems, or even had a first one with no problems , 5 yrs later had another one and

only problems with the second one.

I understand about your body learning tollerances for chemicals, i was a florist for

years, then one holiday, became highly allergic to a common flower and had to quit

doing it.. just one day my body had a limit and hit it... could happen to any chemical,

whether your body makes it or a similar chemical produced to mimic a human

chemical.

I have learned this, there is no rhyme or reason to the human.

I have done a little reaserch on the subject, but am by far no dr., so i can only rely on

other peoples situations.

I do believe I will have it removed either way. I will have about the same drive either

way ( known from past), so my hubby understands the reason for my actions and let

me tell you, would give up sex if I would just return to close to my old self. LOL

I am intrested that this subject hasn't come up  more on the forum, looked into other

posts for more info on the forum, but haven't come up with more. I did find a page of

people who are trying to get  the side effects listed for the Merina by Bayer Group

because of their troubles after having it. I also found a page of side effects that others

have listed after having it, and it was scary how many matched the list of things that I

was given from University of Maryland same type symptoms for MS to other known

disorders. I mean not just one or two, but many neuro type of things. or chem

inbalance type of things too.

I have had a chemical inbalance since before puberty, i know because it was obvious

to  most people by my mood swings  and to me and my dr. from inability to have

correct womanly function.

It was a miracle at all that i was able to have my child ( 11 yrs after being told I

couldn't) so that is the whole reason I went on Merina after my child was born, i mean

if your told you can't have kids, then prove them wrong, you just take extra

precausion after that:o)

But I wasn't able to take other types of birth control before I was prego, ( didn;t get

along with me)I do see how it could possibly effect me. I have not had a menstral

cycle since I found out i was prego and carried her to 38 weeks.. that would be over 3

3/4 yrs since.

I will have to look up the pages on my other comp to post them so anyone can see

where i had recieved this info from, and i'm not just a loon :o)

I appologize if I was a little to forth comming with details of  my life on here, but it is

the only way to let people see where i have come from, and where I am going in this

journey to an answer ( and i have been sick too long to hod anything back)

I will try and post the info tommorow for you to look at it and everyone else. It seems

to crazy an answer, but so is what's happened to me

all for now,
Ulanie

oh my God I've been wondering what was wrong with me for months MS like problems numbness pain in leg dizzy tremors hot flashes etc: had blood work, mri of spin and brain told it could be viral related, seziures etc. but it all started after a stressful situation and taking the morn after pill for the third time in a year---interesting
forgot to mention that all the results were normal and negative. I had back pain also which turns out was gallbladder related. Make sure to go to plenty of specialist as we as=ge several things could be going on at once
Hi, I am having mine removed... Just wondering if you symptoms got better? I have had mine for 2 years and my body just started doing weird things... And pretty sure it's all nerve related I really hope removing mine helps me be back to normal again.... :(
Hi - The thread to which you posted is over 3 years old. These users may no longer be around. You might want to post this as a new question.

Kyle