Mono and MS
I have heard that there is a theory that the Epstein-Barr Virus involved in mono is connected to MS. I have also heard that MS is genetically related. I have no one in my family that has MS but I have had mono before. I am curious how many people here with MS have had mono or have people in their family with MS?
Hi!
I had mono when I was 6. Then again when I was 16. Then 4 more times between 20 and 30. The worst time was when I was 16. I am "probable" MS. Not Dx'd yet.  But I have always suspected something wasn't right for quite a while.  Sure does make you wonder about the connection.
Cyndi
Hi Hbomb

I am also listed as 'probable' but stated by 2 other doctors that I have MS, not by my Neuro.
I have had very high Ebv titers with a great many symptoms - (Super fatigue and weakness, painful lymph nodes) and was put on anti-virals for 1 1/2 yrs now. The levels started to come down after a couple months on the meds. I was listed as Chronic Ebv.
I also had it as a teenager and it became reactivated about 5 years ago.

Jazzy
I had a bad case of mono at age 22.  Diagnosed with MS 6 months ago at age 39.

db1
I had mono at 14.  Normal epsteinbar titers are less than 100 mine are currently 2110. I have a diagnosis of lyme. I also had scarlet fever 3 times in my life and chicken pox x2. Montel also talks about the connection between childhood illness and later MS.

Rebeccah
I also had mono twice as a teenager.  The first case was the worst, and the second was just a recurrence.  I have not received a dx of MS yet, but it is not ruled out at this point, either!!  How interesting to think there may be a connection between mono and MS!!

Heidi
I am diagnosed with MS and have never had mono.

Interesting thing to note:  Canada has the second highest prevelance of MS in the world.  I lived in Canada as a child.  Scientists believe that the immune system is challenged (triggered)  in some way before the age of 15, that starts the "process" of the immune system attacking ones own body, such as in MS.