Multiple Sclerosis Community
Multiple symptoms. Freaking out. Please any help appreciated

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Over the last week my wife has developed neurological (we think) symptoms.  Se has tingling in her palms, upper arms, and one side of her face,  she has a feeling of pressure (like getting blood pressure taken) on her arms above elbows, those areas on her hands arms face also have a burning (like a sunburn) sensation. Finally tonight she has developed a itching sensation not on the skin (no rash) on her arms face and shoulders.  We have been referred to the neurologist but will have to wait 2weeks to see them. We are living in Europe.  The freak-out factor is really starting to build. We are not sure what is going on and not sure when we should panic.   Naturally our minds are running to scary scenarios.    Any help is much appreciated.  
Hello, and welcome.  Panic won't help, and it may actually make her symptoms feel worse.  It does sound like the nerves are involved, but there's just no way to know the reason why, without testing, and a thorough examination.  

The pressure problem:  has your wife had her blood pressure tested?  There can still be more than one thing going on, and if she's scared, her pressure may indeed be up.  I'd make sure about that right away.  The good thing about nerve/neurological problems is that they can wait.  Vascular problems can't.  

Let us know what happens, okay?
Tammy
Tammy has given you good advice.  Panic won't help.  I assume you saw a doctor who referred you to a neurologist.  This is a good sign that he felt your wife's problems are neurological.  If he felt they were an emergency, I hope he would have sent you to an Emergency center.  So, panic is probably not warranted or advisable.  

That being said, if your wife's symptoms take a drastic change or become unbearable, that's when I would go to the emergency room anyway.  They can give her immediate attention and possibly even meds to help.  Either way, staying calm is important for not causing other problems in the meantime.  

I'm in Europe also, by the way.  If you have any other questions in the meantime I hope you'll ask. Wishing you well...

Laura
Hi Jcart - welcome to our little group.

As Tammy and Laura have said, freaking out is not a good idea, although it may be hard to avoid :-)

Let's assume your wife does have MS. to quote a friend's five year old son, "So what? Who cares? Big Deal!" MS is not an automatic sentence to life in a wheel chair with a drool cup. As I type this I am sitting at my desk, at work, having a cup of coffee. I got to work just like everyone else. I walked to the train station and got on the first of 3 trains...

Under the right circumstances, MS is very manageable. I've had it for over 20 years, but only known about it for 18 months. I'm doing just fine :-)

Take a deep breath and try and relax. 2 weeks is actually a fairly short time to see a neurologist. In the mean time ask us lots of questions!

Kyle
Thanks folks.  Wrote that in a bad moment late night- never a good idea.    We went back to the dr and they moved her appt up to tomorrow morning.  The blood pressure was taken and acute problems ruled out.   I suppose the hardest part for me is the powerlessness to help.  But we will keep walking this road and trying not to jump to conclusions.  And thanks for the perspective.   I'll update as we know more.   Thanks for your kindness
I'm sure my husband can relate to the "powerless to help" part.  It's hard not being able to fix things, but being there and caring is more helpful than you may realize.  Glad they moved up the appointment.  Let us know how it goes, ok?

Laura