Multiple Sclerosis Community
Muscle Jerks

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Muscle Jerks

I have a couple questions.

I have had muscle twitches for nearly a year now. It was my presenting symptom. It started out as the full body jerk you get when you fall asleep, except that it progressed to happening every night and I was wide awake.

Those stayed and then I started having the twitches (little muscle twitches like you eyes twitch) but it was primarily ocurring on the left side of my body - my bicep, my quad, my calf, the bottom of my foot. Those progressed and at my worst they were all over my body... I felt them EVERYWHERE... yes, even in very private areas. They still primarily ocurr on the left side of my body but I'll sometimes get them on the right as well.

The part that is concerning to this is they haven't gone away - they get better for a bit, then get worse when I'm not feeling well or near my cycle.

I also get what I would refer to as random tics. It's not a tic more like a muscle jerk.  I can feel the sensation of energy starting and then my arm or left will move. It is almost always my right arm and my left leg - sometimes my right foot.

I am also really concerned about a couple new symptoms:

My muscles ache lately (a deep ache that seems to radiate but doesn't specifically start or end anywhere) these are usually in my bicep or leg and sometimes my forarm. I will rub it but it keeps coming back.  Is that spasticity?

The most worrisome is a sensation that my fingers and hands feel tight (I am stretching them several times a day.) I am really concerned about the sensation that a few of my fingers feel like they are trying to lock up, cramping (?), or become super stiff they don't want to move normal. It's worse in my left hand where I have left arm/hand tremors.

I am normally extremely flexible - one of the people that the doctor's are shocked at my flexibility (I can bend my thumb all the way to my wrist - so this is not normal for me. I'm a bit worried this isn't an MS thing. I also can bend over and touch my toes without working at stretching.) Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Has anyone else had these?

Wow, I could have written this myself. It's scary sometimes all the things we have in common with people on this forum.

I don't have any answers to your question but I wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I have the twitching, jerking, and buzzing constantly. It can get quite annoying.

Last week I had this on and off buzzing/vibrating in my private area....talk about DISTRACTING!!! I kept standing up, twisting, adjusting my chair. LOL.

I too can bend my thumb all the way back and bend forward and touch the floor. =)

I will be watching this question b/c I'm curious to see what others have to say.

Thanks for posting your story and hope you find some relief for your symptoms.

-Kelly =)
Hey, just at a guess, I think you're talking about three different issues.  I've had them all, so I can relate!

Muscle twitching:  Experts say this is not an MS symptom.  I think it's because they've never had MS.  I have twitching in all the areas that are affected by lesion activity.  Face, especially the small muscles around the mouth and eyes.  The bottom of my left foot.  The back of my left tricep.  And all around the areas in my spine that has lesions.

Muscle jerks: This is either RLS or myoclonus.  It all depends on why - does it feel like there's a sensation building up, and you've got to 'work out' the muscle so it'll go away?  Or is it more like an electrical charge, which builds up until POW! your arm (or whatever) jerks?  The urge to move is called 'restless limb syndrome.'  The electrical sensation is myoclonus.  I've never had RLS, but I do have myoclonus.  I get the action kind in the morning, when I'm trying to get out of bed.  My legs will tense up, and I have to wait for them to relax so I can move.  I also get spinal myoclonus, which is an involuntary movement of my back.

Spasticity:  What you describe does sound like spasticity.  I've discovered muscles that I didn't know existed.  They feel very tight and sore, and it makes it difficult to use that muscle.  I was having serious problems with my forearm and thumb muscle, as well as the esophagus.  I take 60 mg a day for spasticity, and my symptoms definitely got better.  Also try stretching.  It won't fix it, and when the spasticity is really bad, sometimes it can make the muscle go into spasm.  But it will give you some short-term flexibility.
I'm not diagnosed with anything so this is useless, but, yeah I get these. Mine seem to happen almost exclusively on the left side, although there's one that happens in the central body somewhere that jerks me forward/back and I have no idea where that one activates at.

It's one of those things most doctors seem to say is stress. Which, in their defense, it could be for some people, but when it continues for over a year, I wonder. Plus I'm just not a stress person. Oh well.
Have you ever had a 3T of the thoracic spine?  They think the lesions in my spine are causing the spinal myoclonus.
Nope, the 3T doesn't exist in my HMO network. I've pondered whether or not to dump the HMO for a PPO for a year to try and get a diagnosis, but it's much more expensive, so I'm not sure when or if that will be a good option. Hurrah for American health care! Best health care system in the world, the politicians tell us..
I too, just recently had a bout with myoclonus along with right arm tremor for 6 to 7 days.  It has happened before (myoclonus) but long ago.  This is the longest it has lasted.

Your muscles ache most likely from the cramping/tightening/spasms of the affected muscles.

The feeling of tightness I have in my left leg as if its going to explode and almost as if its not even a part of my body. I've had that for 8+ months.  Yesterday and today is one of my good days where it has not returned to its full potential and had just a couple occasions that it felt like it was going to start up again but it didn't.

I remember in 2006 I used to feel the floor vibrate in the nurses station, thinking it was the Xerox machine but no one else felt it.  Heh.

I noticed that my hand wont do what I want it to do sometimes (rare) initially, ie: opening ziplock bags or undoing a leash clip on my bird cage that keeps the door shut since he knows how to lift the metal bar and escape.

I think with Neurology, any sensory deficit is possible and it is nice to know when you have other people who can relate to those deficits.  I do at least.

"Myoclonus describes a symptom and generally is not a diagnosis of a disease. It refers to sudden, involuntary jerking of a muscle or group of muscles. Myoclonic twitches or jerks usually are caused by sudden muscle contractions, called positive myoclonus, or by muscle relaxation, called negative myoclonus. Myoclonic jerks may occur alone or in sequence, in a pattern or without pattern. They may occur infrequently or many times each minute. Myoclonus sometimes occurs in response to an external event or when a person attempts to make a movement. The twitching cannot be controlled by the person experiencing it.

In its simplest form, myoclonus consists of a muscle twitch followed by relaxation. A hiccup is an example of this type of myoclonus. Other familiar examples of myoclonus are the jerks or "sleep starts" that some people experience while drifting off to sleep. These simple forms of myoclonus occur in normal, healthy persons and cause no difficulties. When more widespread, myoclonus may involve persistent, shock-like contractions in a group of muscles. In some cases, myoclonus begins in one region of the body and spreads to muscles in other areas. More severe cases of myoclonus can distort movement and severely limit a person's ability to eat, talk, or walk. These types of myoclonus may indicate an underlying disorder in the brain or nerves.

Myoclonus may develop in response to infection, head or spinal cord injury, stroke, brain tumors, kidney or liver failure, lipid storage disease, chemical or drug poisoning, or other disorders. Prolonged oxygen deprivation to the brain, called hypoxia, may result in posthypoxic myoclonus. Myoclonus can occur by itself, but most often it is one of several symptoms associated with a wide variety of nervous system disorders. For example, myoclonic jerking may develop in patients with multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, or Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Myoclonic jerks commonly occur in persons with epilepsy, a disorder in which the electrical activity in the brain becomes disordered leading to seizures."

"Treatment of myoclonus focuses on medications that may help reduce symptoms. The drug of first choice to treat myoclonus, especially certain types of action myoclonus, is clonazepam, a type of tranquilizer. Dosages of clonazepam usually are increased gradually until the individual improves or side effects become harmful. Drowsiness and loss of coordination are common side effects. The beneficial effects of clonazepam may diminish over time if the individual develops a tolerance for the drug."

I hope you can find something to help you with this frustrating symptom(s).

Lisa

I too hope that you find relief for your twitches.  There are medications that can help
Yes, I am sorry - I wanted to go back an edit my post to reflect a better idea of my concerns, they are three separate issues.

Twitches - which are pretty normal just happen to me more than most people. I have had them in my past but then tend to last a few moments or off/on for a couple hours and I'd never notice them. This is extreme to say the least!

Jerks - I feel an electrical build up and then my body jumps. The one that ocurred every night when I laid down has subsided. It seemed to come from my hip area? It was hard to locate where it started.  Now, it's my left leg and my right arm that I feel this electrical build up and then it moves...So that is myoclonus? The doctor said something about this but didn't really describe it and said it was not a cause of concern.  

I do not feel I have RLS. I've seen that and I'm not moving at night like that night. There isn't an urge. It's definitely feels a bit like an electrical shock. I'm getting it someplace else too but at the moment I can't remember where.... I need to write this stuff down.

Spasticity: I am concerned about this. While I type and I am noticing that my fingers feel like they don't want to do what I want them too. lol ~ Is the aching related? I am wondering if the twitches are related because my left bicep was one of the muscle groups with the heaviest twitching and now it's aching.  

I am not so patiently waiting to hear from my MS specialist. Do they do anything with new symptoms despite a MRI being clear fourl months ago?
It does sound like you're experiencing myoclonus.  My problem is that when they're really bad, it's not a work-correct sort of symptom.  I think I would freak people out.  I freak myself out!  

I've described this to my doctors - both the original neuro and the new one.  Original neuro seemed concerned, but wasn't sure what to do about it.  (Except schedule me for a .7T MRI - idiot.)  Neuro #2 has prescribed Keppra for me, which is sort of an anti-seizure/anti-epileptic medication.  What it does - what it's supposed to do - is calm nerve impulses.  My spinal myoclonus happens because of ectopic transmissions from the damaged lesions.  The lesions send signals up and down the spine, which seem to build up or feed back until my spine has a big convulsion, either forward or back.  At first it was just my spine, but now my legs and arms are getting into it.  Neuro #2 thinks that as the myoclonus continues, it'll get worse.  I think she's right - the jerks are getting larger and more involved.

As I understand it, the ectopic transmissions travel along ion channels in the CNS.  When a transmission happens, the ion channel 'learns' that activity.  So the more times it happens, the more the ion channels get used to doing it.  If that makes any sense.  The Keppra is there to keep things damped down, so that the ion channels don't get too used to this abnormal activity.

Here's an entry I wrote on ectopic and ephaptic transmissions:

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Multiple-Sclerosis/Ephaptic-and-Ectopic-Transmissions/show/1208?cid=36

So I'm concerned that your MS specialist didn't think it was anything to worry about.  Especially since you're still undiagnosed.  If he doesn't know why it's happening, it makes no sense to blow you off.

I think you would benefit from an OCT test.  You obviously have neurological symptoms, yet your MRI is clear.  That tells me you probably have some axon breakage without lesion formation.  Have they mentioned anything about atrophy in your MRI?  An OCT (optical coherence tomography) looks at the thickness of the retinal nerve fiber layer in your eye.  They find that MS patients consistently have RNFL thinning.  I'll see if I can bump up my post on that.

Spasticity and myoclonus tell me that you probably have something going on in the spine.  Have you had a 3T MRI of the thoracic spine?
I have only had an MRI of the brain and cervical. Nothing. I am going to make another appointment with my MS doctor and discuss more concerns...and find my journal! lol
Yeah, definitely push for a 3T MRI of the spine.  I really think that you've got something going on in there.
LYME disease! lyme meningitis!
Had all of what u are describing. You might need antibiotics. it might be lyme meningitis.
I've been tested. It was negative. I also don't live anywhere near tics and haven't for nearly 24 years. It's not Lymes but thank you. :)
hi-- well i was taken to hospital because of jerking! scared hubby!  anyway you probably need some meds to help- they put me on mysolene, it really helped!! id go to eat-and well it was to dangerous,you can not control it- its frustrating!!
I have had similar things too (un-dx though). The other day my index finger just started juming up and down. It lasted for about an hour and then quit. I get eye and lip twitches that will last for days. I also have spasms in my lower back and on the right side of my neck. If I use my hands too much I get terrible writers cramps. I too can bend my thumb to my wrist...weird huh :D
i hope its ok to ask a question since the discussion is muscle jerks. i too get that electrical buildup think usually followed by a muscle spasm. it comes and goes, going on for days or even weeks, then seems to go away for months. does that happen to anyone else too, that its intermittent like that? the episodes usually do go along with other neuro symptoms, basically they are part of an exacerbation or flare of whatever i have got.

the other question-do you ever get the electric feeling and the jerk is delayed, just staying there for quite awhile? i had  it when this flare started and it was just about my whole left side below the neck. lasted for about 4 or 5 hrs and was terribly uncomfortable. it was really hard to get distracted from it, and made doing anything harder because i couldn't seem to concentrate  on anything but that. finally i gave up and took a Valium and went to bed. when i woke it was gone but that's when the really tight muscles on my ribcage started, just on the left. like i was being squeezed from behind by someone but only on the left. lasted for days.

i'm really wondering if this electrical buildup that doesn't go away is bizarre and i am crazy. or is it something that happens to other people too. it is really scary. i have my first neuro appt on tuesday and don't know how to explain this to him or even bring it up, im afraid he will think its just anxiety.
My twitching and jerks started out intermittant but have progressed to being chronic - if I'm in a flare they will increase in frequency and severity (become stronger).

I get the electrical build up where it can be super fast and the jerk happens nearly immediately... or I can sort of feel it coming on over a few seconds to minutes and the I jerk.

When all this began for me... I had three weeks where I felt an "energy" all over my body. At that time, I was having the muscle twitching and "tic like" jerks all day long. I sincerely felt I had developed a "tic" but it's not. The myoclonus is in my left leg, my left hip, my stomach/back area, my right arm and shoulder.

I also get a pressure sensation in my waist/rib area. I have had the pressure feeling in my waist for a month now. It feels like it's starting to let up now. At my worse, the pressure was under my rib cage, it felt like something was "swollen" all along my upper abdomen. It was very uncomfortable.

You aren't losing your mind. What tests are being ran on you?
i have had electric shocks very bad- very scarey- then after 6 weeks am fine-
but anyway  you are not nuts!!   if you are lol we all are!!   hugs
to those who replied- well, i dont know yet what they are gonna do. i see the neuro for the first time tomorrow. i guess i am just worried about telling him about this symptom, if its something he would discount and write me off as anxiety or if its a known neurological thing. Know what I mean?

I am just getting more anxious about the appt. I have a lot riding emotionally on it. if he blows me off, like so many docs have before-I just dont know what to do. thats why i am scared.  
All mentioned above are symptoms am going through for the past 6 wks. Honestly don't have the slightest idea what to do and how to end it. After reading in this forum realize that it's never ending story as it has arrive or will prolong. Any suggestions what can be done to controll and ignore it looking forward for some positive post.
I have every one of the symptoms that you mention, and have been diagnosed with Narcolepsy. That is where you keep falling asleep all the time, through the day, but can't get to sleep at night. I get the pain, numbness, jerking more when I've been eating sugar, or drinking alcohol. Processed food also makes the problem worse. If you can eat a lot of fruit and veg, stay away from sugar etc, and do some mild exercise, it will help. The other item of interest in the above posts is lack of oxygen. Narcoleptics tend to stop breathing through the night and wake suddenly because of lack of oxygen. This (for me) is associated with the twitches and so on. Try sleeping on your side with your head tilted slightly backwards. This will open up your oxygen channels. It really helps me. Sex and orgasm are good, too, for assisting with the twitches. Once saw a film about a woman who was having a baby and she had given up sex for a while, and so was not getting any orgasms. Her legs were twitching all over the place. I think the twitching is a substitute for the twitching of orgasm, although I know it sounds gross. Hope this helps.
Medical marihuana is becoming more available and even if not near you can be obtained on the web without prescription. It treats spasms, MS, Parkinsonism, Epilepsy and many other illnesses. It is the most magnificent medicine, with no side effects. It's worth a try to buy a little of the Phoenix Tears Hemp Oil in syringe. Buy a small amount to start. Dosage is only 1/3 of a drop put on the finger and rubbed  under the tongue. Forget about smoking or ingesting the plant any other way or getting high. It doesn't do that. It's not for that. It also treats cancer, diabetes, heart disease, migraine. The list is endless. It's absolutely worth trying. ASK THE WEB FOR INFORMATION ABOUT IT.