Multiple Sclerosis Community
Muscle Stiffness

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Muscle Stiffness

I've been having a difficult time with getting stiff after sitting or laying down for any period of time.  I'll be sitting in my lazy boy chair and I'll get up and can't bend my ankles and my calves are also extremely stiff, so I walk like a penguin and moan and groan for about 3-5 minutes until I start to loosen up again.  I also have other kinds of muscle stiffness, but I'm wondering if my ankles and calves are something else like arthritis, even though I've been tested for RA and arthitis and was told I don't have it.

Is this a MS thing, I know muscle stiffness is, but I'm not sure if my instances and situations are what MSers muscle stiffness is?
It may be muscle spasticity.  My  leg muscles seem to "lock in position" when I sleep or sit too long.  My ankles are about the worst place for this.  It can hurt from my toes to my knees for 10-15 min when I get up in the AM.  

From what I've seen posted on the forum, it is not an uncommon symptom.

I agree with Cobob.  My worse pain is waking.  It takes a full pain pill and about an hour before I can move.
mine is most of the day arms neck lower back and knees  get good and bad days but the worst is being woken in the night cos i cant turn myself over and worse agin is my leg's wont move for about five mins realy sore and scary  i dont know whats wrong with me yet but i do have optic nuritis thiroyed prob am waiting to see rhumo anyone else have this prob with ms ???  i was like a poker when i was working could ' walk home after work was to stiff so have 'nt worked now for a year  had mri a year ago all clear nuro said if i was younger he would be more concern'ed  im 53 he was so rude said i hae migrains my optomoligist is coninced its ms i got no follow up with nuro( pig)  sorry lol im thinking ms because i was suspect at 25 i went blind in one eye for a week numb face and hands back then .   i just wish they would stop bringing it up if its not ms it all started agin 4 yrs ago anyone help :( pleaseeeeeeee
I would find another neuro.  Sorry any neuro that wants to say "if you were younger"....Look around this site and see how many of us were diagnosed after age fifty...Too many to count.  Get moving, sister...Ain't no one gonna speak up for you!!!  Stand strong.  Find another neuro.
yeh!!   i do the frankinstien-  walk-  not fun...but glad i can still  walk
and  momoftwo   find a diff. one anyone would be better than what you have.
thats terrible!
me too....very very stiff and painful after waking or sitting. However, some days are better or worse than others. Mine starts up in my hip and goes down to my lower leg, I have thought arthritis too, because it is such a deep achy hurt.
Tess533 -  I deal with everything you are talking about.  I can't roll over at night sometimes because my shoulders are so painful and my arms are weak.  I am stiff and extremely sore in my lower right back, hip, knees, ankles and tops of my feet and have trouble getting up after any amount of time sitting or laying down. I do much better when I am working and moving all day.  Rest is the worst for my pain.  I am 55 and have just been diagnosed with MS so you are not too old to have MS.  By the way that is what my HR person at work said to me when I told her I was diagnosed with MS, "You are too old to have MS".  People are so miss-informed.  Get another opinion.  
I'm having problems standing and walking for the first 20 minutes after getting up from sitting or lying down. If I sit or lay down for 30-60 minutes I have muscle problems in my lower back and neck. Do you have the same issues with your muscles?
Hi Aldolini - Welcome to the group.

This thread is a little on the old side. the last post was over a year ago. Many of the original posters no longer visit.

You could Post A Question and introduce yourself. We're a pretty friendly bunch :-)

Kyle
Hi, I'm a little worried. I am 30 years old, every time I lay down for more than 20 minute or so and I get up my legs feel very stiff. I have to literally walk it off. Sometimes I cant even walk until I walk a little.. I like to sit indian style and when I do my legs feel numb...  What could this possibly be?
Hi KZ Welcome to our group.

We are not doctors, just a bunch of folks who either have MS or are trying to find out if they do.

The stiffness you describe, all by itself, doesn't make MS jump to the from of my mind. If it happens after you lie down I don't think it's related to sitting indian style. Have you been evaluated by a doctor?

Kyle

Im having a lot of the same issues. I don't know whats wrong with me. But I have been having a lot of stiffness in my legs, wrists, ankles , and lower back. If I lay on my stomach for more than 5 minutes I cant move. my lower back locks up. Have to have somebody help me. Also my ankle locks up, it can really happen anytime through out the day, but its worse in the morning. I have gotten a sharp pain in my calf, and then my foot points outward and then I cant move it...really sharp pain, and then I have to try to get up and put pressure on it for it to go away. I understand you guys cant make a diagnose just wondering what your thoughts are?
Juls