Multiple Sclerosis Community
Muscle spasm's and twitching with CIS

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Muscle spasm's and twitching with CIS

I have Clinically isolated syndrome and in the last few months have developed lots of muscle twitching and spasms in legs,arms,face and especially my eyes.Is this common?its getting very frequent now.Its more irrating than anything.
Suzie.
'Clinically isolated syndrome' is all about one isolated set of symptoms, from which the patient recovers, hopefully never to return.  People diagnosed with MS have a number of multiple-sclerosis type symptoms, disseminated through time.  (Disseminated just means more than one episode of symptoms over several months.)

So I can't answer your question as to whether it's common for CIS.  If you've been diagnosed with CIS, you'll probably need to talk to your neurologist and tell him about the new set of symptoms.

As for me, I often have muscle twitches and spasms.  Sometimes my muscles will tense up, and I have to tell them to relax.  Sometimes the muscles jump in my legs and arms, and especially in my face.  I had five days last week of my lower eyelid twitching.... argh!
Hi,thanks for your post.I think what i'm confused about the most is,does a symptom have to be severe to qualify as an 'episode' or do mild symptoms count?
I mentioned to my Neurologist that around seven years ago i had a spell of what i now think may have been virtigo,mainly whan driving.She does not want to count this as anything related as it could have been anything.
My symptoms now,mainly my spine,tingling,burning and aching, has been with me nearly none stop for over a year though it is eased with yoga.It is mild.The twitching has been building up over a few months and is also mild so would this class as a new symptom or does it have to be something like optic neuritis or loosing feeling in a limb?
Anyone with any advice would be much appreciated,i am more than confused and don't want to bother my Neurolgist with small things.
Thanks,Suzie.xx
I don't know the answer, but it does seem like neuros really vary in what they are willing to "count."

My neuro told me that symptoms don't have to be some major episode to be a relapse. Especially since it could make a difference in your dx and maybe treatment if you are having a new symptom/relapse, it seems like it would be worth telling your neuro.

sho
Mild symptoms do count, especially when you haven't really been diagnosed with MS, just the CIS.  If your disease has progressed, he'll want to know.

Personally I think since you're having new symptoms, you're going to have a MS-style relapse in the next year or so.  I was having weird symptoms about two years before the serious stuff hit, but never did anything about it.
Thanks for the advice.I'll make notes of my symptoms and let her know next time i see her.
Suzie.
You are familiar with Yoga.It is the breathing timing and duration which really helps the body recover.Try this breathing and you will start to feel the increasing benefit each day.
You need to help your body to build up your immune system.The breathing exercises - pranayam is a holistic approach creating extra oxygen supply in the body and will slowly help with the health problem.Do the pranayam to see the benefits.Build up your timing slowly and after two weeks at the suggested duration you will start to notice benefits.

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose.Duration upto 5 minutes.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for upto 30 minutes twice a day.(Max 60 min/day) Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom - Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day(maximum 60 minutes in one day).
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 10 times
----
Only by doing you will benefit and will feel good that you can do something to help the body.Copy and print this to master the technique.This is  simplified pranayam for everyone and you do not have to go to classes to learn. This is for life unlike short term classes where you do it in the class then stop when classes are over.