Multiple Sclerosis Community
My First Day of Physical Therapy Today

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

My First Day of Physical Therapy Today

My initial appt went really good. It took about 1 1/2 hrs for him to examine me and demonstrate some things.

He said I have hypertonia & weakness in both legs and weakness in my right arm. Some of my leg strengths was only 2.5 on the strength scale. He asked if I used any walking aids, and I told him - not yet (thank goodness).  

I never noticed this, but he said whenever I stand, I lock my knees into place. He said a lot of people with spasticity in their legs will do this because of weakness in their upper legs. Then he made me unlock them and it felt like I was going to fall over and it felt like I had to grip the floor with my feet or something. I thought that was pretty interesting.  I've never knew that or heard of that before.  

I'll see him once a week for 3wks, and he gave me stretches to do and postural things to work on. Then I'll take a break (for my hysterectomy), and then hopefully back at it soon afterwards (crossing my fingers that everything will be OK).

-Kelly  

Hope your hysterectomy goes smoothly!  I found the worst part of my appendectomy wasn't the incisions, which healed quickly - it was the bruising from the air blown into me!
Sounds like PT was good. I got fussed at for locking my knees and not pointing my toes forward. Ha-ha not sure I ever walked with my toes pointing forward.  I still do the exercises I learned on PT ( ones I can). Think its why o can still walk at all.

Good to see you getting some help. Raz

Kelly,
Sounds like you received a good assessment and instructions! I'm happy for you. As a veteran of PT, doing the home exercises is the key to success.

I hope all goes smoothly with your surgery and you'll be back at the PT's  learning new techniques to help you!

Hugs,
ren
I agree following up at home is the key to success.  Another tip I will give, do not allow the PT to push further than you can go.  Yes, it is their job to get as much as possible from us.  However, they do not have MS and have no idea that it can set up back days if not weeks if they push too far.

I also want to add, it definitely helps with spasms and stiffness.  You won't be sorry for hopping aboard!
Thanks everyone for your comments. Boy, did I NOT sleep good last night. My legs ached so bad and had so much pain, and also in my hips, too. I wonder if it's going to be like this each time that I go, and we didn't even do anything yesterday. All we did is test my strength in different muscles and then show me how to have better posture. We mostly just talked about my symptoms and things like that.

Yes, I'll definitely have to work on all the stretches he showed me.

Thanks for the well wishes with my hysterectomy, too. I wasn't expecting it - I just found out yesterday. I hope they can do it with the incisions, rather than cutting across my stomach - it depends on how big the tumor/fibroid is when she tries to get it all out. :-(

Thanks,
Kelly