My leg feels ice cold
Has anyone had the experience of suddenly feeling like a part of your body was ice cold.  Tonight my left leg suddenly started to feel like it was sitting in an ice bath.  It is not cold to the touch though, just perceived as cold.  I just can not shake th ecold feeling, the rest of me is comfortable.  Is this somethin that happens with MS?  This is my first experience with it...I do have other issues with this same leg in the last 2 years...muscle spasms and have had numbness and tingling in this leg for periods of time as well.  
Ditto the cold feeling... except mine is in my left arm and hand.  Just to keep things interesting, my arm and hand feel warm sometimes, too.  The first time I felt the warm sensation I went into a frenzy, swiveling my head around looking for a heating vent, just sure that there was warm air blowing on me.  Fortunately, I was alone at the time...          
my hands, which are also the major source of pain for me,  have been freezing to the point of numbness, but when I go to hold hands with someone (at church during prayer circle) I find that my hands are NOT cold at all - they just feel cold to me.  Feet are also pretty cold - can't sleep without socks, even with electric blanket - problem is that the blanket makes the rest of me too hot, so it's hard to get things balanced enough to sleep well.
The last time I saw my GP I complained about my feet being so cold they hurt.  I took my shoes and socks off so he could examine them.  He said, "Terry your feet are warm."  I told him not to me.  They are hurting they feel so cold.  So he is sending me to a cardiologist to check the circulation.  I go Jan 6.  However if my feet felt warm to him, I would think it is not a circulation problem.  As so many described it is like I am standing barefoot in the snow and it hurts.  I have found no way to relieve the feeling and I have tried everything, as a matter of fact we discussed this earlier when I ask the forum about it.  It seems to me it may be MS related, why else would so many of us have the same experience.

Merry Christmas to all,

terry
I also experience this cold sensation in my feet sometimes they feel as saveone described where they feel cold to me but not to others when i put my feet in any temp of water they feel like they are on fire often with the paratheias i have different sections of my body feel as though the hair is standing on end it will be one leg or one arm sometimes even just one side of my head these feelings are weird but you get use to them. i have found that just over a year ago i was cold all the time wearing sweaters in the summer now even in winter i get so hot that i have to remove my gloves open my jacket and take off my hat because i can't stand the heat i use to hate being cold all the time now i miss it lol
I just realized that I too have this cold sensation on my backside and feet , don't get the feet cold pain yet but imagine I will am in my mid 50 and 10 years ago was suspected of having ms have the symptoms urgency to urinate ,headaches so bad ,depression, trembling, sharp pains all over random places in body,face and eyebrows even , was reading b12 defieciency can mimic ms and other diseases but I can't kid myself I just have too many symptoms another MRI coming up , hate them so much anxiety claustrophobia just thinking about it , need to be put out ,just hate the boom boom ding ding wheooo wheooo but just have to do it so tiers of doctors not believing me and if I have it I just would like to know so I don't keep feeling like I' m crazy , anyone else feel similiar to me?
I am still in the 'I don't know if I have MS or not"  I have done a lot of reading and it sounds as though a lot through my life I may have been experiencing onset. But right now life is very hard.  My legs hurt, my knees feel like they are going to pop out when I walk.  I have had a lot of spasticity in my legs and R Abdomin.  My L arm went completely numb for 10 minutes.  My feet have a weak pulse and are cold.  I have bad vertigo, blurred eyesight, numb fingers.  When I wake up in the morning I have a lot of pain.  It feels like all my organs are going to explode around my body.  There is no way I can stay in bed because the pain is too bad.  When I get up it takes about 1/2 hour to go away.  I could go on. I feel like I know I have MS but then I think well I am probably being dumb and overreacting.  I just want to know.
I realized I had this coldness problem a couple of days ago when I felt my son's face and thought he had a really high fever.  I put my face against his and he was totally normal and even a bit cool.  I then realized my hands were freezing so I put my hands to my face and they were perfectly normal temp.  SSSOOOOO Wierd!  I am sure I can think of other parts getting super cold in the past.  I have no idea how long I have really had MS.  Got dx'd yesterday and waiting for more info from tests.

D

hi

On the subject of feeling cold I had an mri and also I have a small banding of ms  the dr doesnt think that I have ms .However I get terrible pain inside my legs , like I have ice instead of marrow in my bones. B=My rear end is cold too. My feet and hands get cold and my skin can turn mottley when cold . But the pain I get inside my bones is bad like someone poured ice in them can any one help
i come from  china,my mom also has this cold felling too,but could not find a way to help.

can anyone help?thanks a lot.
Hey, te11me!  Welcome to the forum.  The best way to have a question answered is to post it in a new thread on the forum.  This is such an old question that it'll probably get ignored.

I've reposted the question for you on the forum - take a look at the 'back to the forum' link and you'll find it.  
i was watching TV and suddenly my right foot feel ice cold  and then spread  thru out my leg.  and then when  i told my dad to feel them  he didnt feel any coldness on my skin . And then it spread to my left foot .      If any one can help with this foot problem PLEASE e-mail me at ***@****  or call me at 616-583-9738 or 616-366-8027 right away if you know  how to treat this
I have been experiencing cold feet for months now but it's more prominent at night They are warm to the touch. I sometimes get up and fill a plastic dishpan with hot water (used only for soaking feet :-)) and sit for an hour or so trying to warm the feet. It's really annoying not to be able to sleep because of the coldness and achy sensation. I just found this forum and know there is considerable history of MS in our family. I never even thought to have this checked out. I'm going to read further on MS now as there are other health issues surfacing. Have enjoyed reading the posts. \

Val
I don't know what's going on with me, don't know if it's MS that has gotten me or something else, so I don't have a diagnosis yet but I've experienced this temperature paresthesia also. And it's something that leaves me feeling baffled because for me I feel cold all over, with goosebumps and shivers to boot, but in actuality my body is perfectly warm.

It got really intense in bed one night. I felt so cold that I put sweats, a t-shirt, a sweater and socks on and none of it helped. My hands were sweating because I think I was over dressed but my whole body was shivering. The thought occurred to me that maybe I had a fever, so I got out of bed to take my temperature, but no fever. That same night the muscles in one of my legs were jumping so bad I felt that I had popcorn popping in my leg all the way up to my buttock. The popping muscles kept me up till 3 a.m. So I'm guessing the temperature thing and the popcorn muscles were an extension of whatever is going on with me.

LOL! I just noticed I'm sitting here right now with goosebumps and am dressed very warmly with a kitty on my lap for added extra warmth but am feeling very chilly. And the furnace is running...I don't know what else I can do to try to get warm.

Hi I am 46yrs old female. Have told dr about sudden feeling of legs/hand/face feeling like ice water has been poured into me. Several yrs ago I was on my way to work. I don't remeber getting up taking a shower dressing or how I drove my self to work. I kept telling a co-worker not connecting. Had sever pain rt side back base of head. By the time I got to ER I could not walk slumped to left. I have since had same episodes. DR. said I was depressed have 2 stays in hopital for few days. had spinal tap, eegs, MRI's, DX migrains, I have had since a teenager never Dx at that time, memory loss after episode at work. DR dx nueropathy recently started taking med for that some relief. But contiued feeling of coldeness especially when temp drops below 60. Also increased loss of balance and not knowing I have urinate.
I too have experienced the cold body part. It happened on the left upper cheek. When I touched it, it was warm but the feeling of cold was still there, this lasted a couple of days.
My right leg and both feet used to feel like blocks of ice.  I wore leg warmers and wool socks in the winter and summer.  I also use those foot warmers that hunters use sticking one in the foot of the sock and one on top.  This went on for years.  It has been totally GONE for the last two months!!!  I don't know if it is one of the medications I am on or just something that has finally decided to leave me.  There is hope!
I can totally relate to the coldness of a certain body part. I was diagnosed 10 years ago and about 1 year ago my right arm especially my hand would and still does stay ice cold. Everybody I mentioned it to would say you have bad curculation. But now I really do think it's the MS. I always have to have it wrapped in a blanket when I'm relaxing. It's very annoying! I don't know why I never even considered it was the MS.
Hi there and welcome. You've posted on a very old thread, so I invite you to start a new one and tell us about yourself.

The distinction made in the comments above is that although the posters *felt* cold or cold spots, their family members assured them that these spots were not actually cold. That's what makes feeling cold or hot places paresthesias---incorrect information from damaged nerve pathways.

If everyone agrees that the spots are actually cold, then that is in fact a circulation issue, and not related to MS.

ess
Actually, cold feet that are actually cold may be a circulation problem, but that doesn't mean that the problem isn't caused by MS. On an old thread (http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multiple-Sclerosis/MS-and-cold-hands-and-feet/show/509022), I described how a neuro told me that cold hands and feet are common in MS and that this can be caused by a problem with communication to the parasympathetic nervous system and from there to the blood vessels in the hands, feet and so on.

sho
I have had a cold arm for two years, nothing helps sometimes its normal but most time cold.  When its cold it hurts and my arm is tired.  Overall since getting MS I am always cold the crap part is the inability to warm up at all
I'm so glad I googled "ice cold feeling, legs, ms". This has been very helpful to me. I was diagnosed with MS in 2008. Just recently, the last couple days really, I have these icy cold "patches" on my legs... cold to me, but not the touch of anyone else. Very strange. Is this a symptom I should bring to the attention of my neurologist?
Hi Blayne!

Hi Typin24/7!

Nice of you to join us! I'm afraid no-one will see your posts on this old discussion. Can you copy what you posted here and start a new discussion if you've not done so already by using the green post a question button and we'll be sure to welcome you properly! Look fwd to having you here with us :)

-Shell
    Have any of you seen the documentary "Under our skin" about the relationship between Lyme disease and MS?  Hulu has it.
Is this a common symptom of MS I have this a lot .  I have been sick for almost four years with no diagnosis this is one of many symptoms I have had over the last four years.
Chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency or CCSVI is the problem most likely. For more info you can find it on facebook or youtube or just google ccsvi.
My bf has MS and experience similar coldness in his feet. The main difference from the comments above is that his feet are actually ice cold and his body temperature is relatively normal. Its cold by the touch. It is usually linked with his back pains. I use his feet as a tell all since he's gotten to the point of not telling me when he's hurting. I usually massage both feet til he feels better. I don't know what else to do beside that.
Hi :) I'm new here i came across this forum by chance i have not been diagnosed properly yet. The symptoms i am experiencing are:-
Every day at certain times it can come on at anytime of the day. My knees down to the bottom of my feet go freezing cold .I get numbness in the bottom of my feet and pins and needles in them. My ankles are sore and my knees feel sore and really cold .Sometimes my knees go stiff and click when i bend down to pick something up then i get shooting pain in them. I also have had it in my wrists and my fingers also go freezing cold. I have been tested for Raynauld's, have seen a musculo-skeletal specialist who told me that i have some wear and tear in my knees but nothing to worry about right now she has no idea what can be causing the other problems she thinks it could be circulation, and my other doctor thinks it's not circulation. I also have hole in the heart have had it since birth only very small hole but i was told it is nothing to do with this either i'm 40 now and it has never affected me before does anyone think it could be ms?
I am new to this forum. I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with MS when I was 20. Today I am having a symptom I have never had before. My right arm feels really cold and my right side (the side of my ribs and stomach) feel hot. Should I go to my neurologist or just let it run it's course? Also, is this common? Thanks!
I get painfully cold feet and legs and often get what feel like throbbing or shaking blood vessels especially at night, I can't seem to heat them up they just instantly heat up on their own at some point. My feet and legs feel numb a lot as well and these sensations cause me to have small panic attacks I haven't been to the doctor yet but I'm kind of worried and would appreciate other opinions
Hi folks
Anthony here... I have a very low heart Injection Rate... Age 35... I am  freezing cold all the time just started with new medication. My Neck even my face leg's and feet, arms hand's ice cold. Going for MS testing next..

I found heating pad help's or even sitting in my car with the temp set to 90 at times full blast... pins and needles are now all over my leg's at times.. hot shower's are heaven.. But hell to get out. Any other tips would be great to keep warm.....Thank;s all
That was confusing ..lol
Hello, I had a similar thing happen to me, I was watching tv then out of the blue from my ankles the cold sensation moved up gradually but quickly right up to my chest i have experenced this twice but not heard anybody talk about it, I think they think I am imagining it or losing my marbles.Quite a scary expeience
Hi everyone! Found this forum googling "cold right leg/arm". I haven't been diagnosed with MS as of yet, but it's been tossed around for the last year & a half. Going for my second brain MRI in a few days. After all that I've been thru lately, I hope they finally find something to work with so that I won't feel like I'm crazy anymore.
But anyway, on to the topic of discussion. I woke this morning to a completely numb right hand. I finally decided to get up, since I couldn't keep feeling in my hand, only to find that my entire right side is freezing cold. Not numb, so I didn't think too far into it until it wouldn't go away and is seemingly getting worse. My foot, calf, right butt cheek, shoulder , hand, and even cheek of my face are cold like I'm laying in a pond in the winter....well laying only HALF way in it, lol. As if...well, thanks to you guys, I have yet another symptom to go over with my doctor, as if the list isn't long enough.
Hopefully, I will find some answer soon. If I am finally diagnosed then I can promise I will be back to chat with you guys. It's definitely comforting to know there are other ppl out there that understand how I feel. Until then...*waves*

Erica
Hi my name is Sharita. I am new to this site. As a matter of fact, I never heard of it. I googled my symptoms and this is what was pulled up. I have been experiencing the issue of my legs feeling cold but they are actually warm to touch. They stay swollen all the time(except when I am sleep). As soon as I get out of bed, they begin to swell in the lower parts. I can touch them and put a dent in my legs. They have turned completely black. I went to the doctor but he said I did not have a blood clot. I have been hospitalized and had all kinds of test for blood clots, and all that. They are continuing to hurt and feel cold. Sometime when I put on socks, they feel a little better but they still continue to swell. It is like fluid build-up. Any suggestions?
I have been told i have relapsing/remitting MS... never believed it.  Had 10 MRI scans n told the same everytime.  I suffer with sensitive skin and the cold legs .... feels like they are bone cold and nothing warms them up.  Its painful n no one here understands... dont know what to do anymore, dont want to accept it.  I hope you find different answers for your problem xxxx
Hey, I have been told I could have lupus or other autoamione diease and have had this cold down deep in my bones going on for awhile and my doc says she has no idea what it could be. And like others ive read on here I have the hot feet to touch but feels cold to me. Could it be MS I have? And if it could be what test do I need to find out? Thanks for taking your time to read this and hope for a reply. Tracy
I have the same happening with me and all that helps with the swelling is putting my legs n feet up and after a few hrs it will go down some but that's it. Wish I knew something that could help us both with this problem. If you find out something that helps please let me know also. Thanks, Have a great day!
I have been told I have Lupus and sjordons also around 10 yrs ago also and now for the past few yrs have been having my bones feeling frozen deep in my bones and it is very hot where I live. Could I have MS also or is Lupus causing this coldness and numbness etc...?
I ran across this conversation while trying to figure out what could be causing my right arm to be cold. It's cold to me and to anyone who touches it. It's usually my hand and lower arm, but it can travel higher up my arm. I'm healthy. I've never been diagnosed with MS, but then I've never been tested for it. I had gestational diabetes, but that was more than 20 yrs. ago, and haven't had any trouble w/my blood sugar since then. I am overweight, and realize that's something I need to address. I'd like to know what causes this coldness in my arm...which doesn't happen often...is it something serious or just a part of aging. I'm 56.
I ran across this today and it is funny because one of my new parasthesias is at the back of my head near the crown and it feels like cold water is being poured over head, however it doesn't happen at times when I really need it to like a hot flash....
I am amazed to find so many w such simulator issues...my lower calf ake from a sensation of like bags of ice sitting on them for no reason..... i have not been diagnosed w ms but do have low thyroid and other unexplained things.....i am really not crazy
I have that cold feeling in my left calf, but it's not cold. I at first thought my leg was wet. Not so. Also, sometimes I can't stand how cold and painful my feet are, and yet they are not cold. I put on socks, rub them and they hurt and are cold. I have never been diagnosed with MS. I am guessing I need to have a long talk with my doc and see if she can help me. I hate this feeling. I do have Fibromyalgia, but never was this issue a problem when I was diagnosed. This just started about 2 months ago. HELP....I feel like I'm nuts!!!
Hi KL -

Quix pops in from time to time but is not a regular visitor to the forum. She has take a step back to focus on her 3D life.

Why not Post A Question and introduce yourself. We're pretty nice :-)

Kyle
Last night I felt ice cold in my legs even with 3 blankets...just couldn't get warm. Haven't had that happen in a long time. Usually my feet are cold, but this was extreme. Don't remember I became warm again. I guess I fell asleep. I was dx'd w/MS in 1995!

I'm E.  Thanks for the above commentary.  First useful thing I've been able to find.  Is anyone still on this list?  Most of the comments are very old.

I have coldness (I found this list searching "very cold legs")--I have Lyme; don't think I have MS.  It's always worse in cold weather.  My husband can feel it, though I think not as intensely as I do.  Long ago it was in my butt, mostly noticed at night.  After a few years that wasn't so bad.  A few years ago it was in one of my wrists, then the next winter both, but neither as bad.  They aren't really a problem now, except that I can't wear bracelets any more unless they are a non-chilling material (like cloth)--otherwise they make the bones ache.  For the last 4 - 5 years, it's been in parts of my legs.  Left is worse than right, and the areas that get cold follow nerve innervation areas perfectly, but the neurologist said it "wasn't neurological".  I don't think I believe him.  Fortunately, external heat does help (husband, heating pad, etc.)  Does anyone else find it's always worst at night?  And when I've been on my computer (no matter in what position or location).

In the mean time, I've had other weird symptoms that no one can explain (e.g., started doing pelvic floor exercises for a mild prolapse, find they make me incredibly light headed when I stand up), most of which focus around in my abdomen.  I've had all kinds of diagnostics run: MRIs, Ultra sounds, nerve conduction testing, colonoscopy, leg blood pressures--and not much shows up.

Sure would love to find someone who can tell me what's actually going on, but having read through the comment list above, I am back to suspecting it's neuro-Lyme or at least neuro some kind of infection.
Hi E - Welcome to the group. There are still lots of us here, though most of the participants on this topic seem to have moved on. This topic is pretty old. It was started over 7 years ago :-)

You may get better response if you Post A Question and introduce yourself.

Kyle
It started today.  I went to pick up a prescription, when I walked into CVS it felt at though my jeans had a hole in them in the lower leg area, and a cool breeze was getting in.  My lower left leg felt as though it was wet and cold.  Pulled my pants leg up and looked and felt, all seemed normal, it was not cold to the touch.  It just started today.  Every few minutes now I get the sensation.  Sound familiar to anyone.
I have come across this column through putting several of my symptoms into google.  I am 43 and been up and down with different issues for the last 2 -3 years, but over the last year I just cannot stand the cold, it makes me feel really ill, my whole body sometimes feels cold to the core, and other times its just my arms legs(from just above knee down) and feet.  I can get to sleep as my feet are like blocks of ice.  In the summer I seem to have tiredness fatigue, its not like normal tiredness its a tiredness which makes me feel ill, only way i can describe it, and i literally cannot stay awake as my whole body just feels as though it wants to shut down and i have no option but to sleep.......I have even fell asleep on the telephone...how bad is that.  I also have aches and pains all over my body hands wrists neck, back, thighs, legs, anles and feet, joint stifness when i have been sat down for a while and i feel like a thunderbird when i get up as i dont walk normally for the first 5 minutes.  I keep getting a compulsive squeezing sensation around my torso like a snake is squashing me intermittantly and it bloody hurts, abit like an electric shock all the way round me but wierdly with the sensation that I am being squeezed at the same time and it takes my breath and some times i make a sound out loud as if i was being squeezed!  I fatigue after tea time and my concentration seems low, I am cold to the core as I am typing this and have rarely taken my coat off in the last week, even indoors.  My friends all take the mick in the summer as when they come in my house i have a jumper on and the heating on.  I am forgetful, and have trouble remembering names all the time, as well as directions.  My only medical condition is underactive thyroid, only borderline but i was symptematic so they put me on 25mg of thyroxine.  I have had calcification in my shoulder which I had an operatio for earlier in the year and then i ended up with a frozen shoulder which I was re admitted for them to sort. I dont know if this could be a possibility for me, or if maybe i just have poor circulation.   Has anybody got any comments on what information I have shared, I have been to the drs so many times and nothing gets done i feel like an hypochondriac.  
Hope you all are as well as you can be at the minute and wish you all an easy year.
Michelle
Oh my goodness this is me all over....please get in touch again or is this thread old....
Michelle
Hi I'm new to this but about 10 years ago I woke up with an iced cold left leg that felt very odd numb well like you have had an injection at the dentist. It felt like I had a lead boot on. Went to see GP who said he didn't no what it was I was just odd. Over the last 10 years I have episodes on and off. Four years ago my left side of my face went numb very cold vibrating feeling and last Sunday it happened again but this time my face and leg. I am still waiting to have an MRI to see what this is I think it could be ms an also my auntie has it too