Multiple Sclerosis Community
Myelogram

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Myelogram

OK...so new neuro completely dismissed my T2 white spots. Finds genuine hyperreflexia on both sides--calls it pathological. Thinks that my demonstrated weakness in my right hand might be "psychological." I told him what I thought of that. I think he wants it to be a lower-extremity thing because he's seen distortion in the cord at T5/T6, and he wants that to be THE explanation. So...he's sending me for a myelogram and hasn't commented on the symptoms above that level (i.e., hands).

Anyone ever had one of these? I've already had a lumbar puncture--all was normal. I know what the myelogram is, how it works, etc., but I'm wondering how useful it's going to be. The disortion in the cord is dorsal, not ventral.

BTW, I'm not unhappy with this neuro for bringing up the psychological thing. He said he's talking to me, asking me questions the way he would his own daughter. I don't hold it against him. But it is irritating. I haven't been able to open a jar for months; I know it's the real deal.

E
A MYELOGRAM WILL SHOW IF THERES ANY NERVE ROOT IMPINGEMENT OR CUT OFF.

THE CONTRASTING DYE WILL SHOW THIS ON A CT SCAN.

IS THE NEURO DOING IT IN THE NECK OR THORACIC.

I'VE HAD SEVERAL LUMBAR MYELOGRAMS,SAME RULES APPLY AS IF YOU WERE HAVE A LP,BUT THIS WILL BE FLORASCOPIC

T
While it is appropriate to discuss the psychological side of things, it sounds like this guy is manipulating the data to fit his preconceived diagnosis.  This is dangerous.  It's exactly what the idiots at NIH did to Craig when he didn't fit their first diagnosis.  He is saying this is a conversion reaction.  Before I had a myelogram, I'd see a well respected psychiatrist (who all are certified in Neurology and Psychiatry) maybe one affiliated with a Neurology department.

A Myelogram is a pretty invasive, not without its risks, and often painful procedure, I believe.  Before I did that I would seek another opinion, like from a good neurosurgeon.

How does he explain your cognitive issues and ???fatigue.  I'm sorry, I don't remember all your details, but you have much more going on than your legs, no?

I'm getting red flags about this guy - BIG TIME.

imnsho - Quix

I'm no doctor like Quix, but I second what she says.  Amy
The reason I suggest the psych is that he will clearly see that this is hooey and set the record straight once and for all.  Once a doc has raised this spectre of conversion reaction, others may use it to avoid thinking also.

What a dufus!

Quix