Multiple Sclerosis Community
NOT swallowing during c-cpine MRI's

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

NOT swallowing during c-cpine MRI's

To HBananas:

Saw your question on another thread, thought I'd pitch in.

Yep, I had my MRI this past Wednesday. I was told that at one point, as they are doing the throat, I won't be able to swallow.

Okay, no problem.

Soooo, it went on and on and on, and I was getting uptight, so I wound up counting that I had swallowed SEVEN times. Then the tech said into my headphones that they were going to do the throat again, don't swallow. I tried realllllllly hard again, and was able to do a teeny bit better, only swallowed four times.

At this point I am really rattled and figure that I have messed up the MRI, I am desperate for a diagnosis, what if this botches things, blah blah blah. I asked the tech if I messed things up and she said nahhh, not really. If she mentions it, people still swallow; if she doesn't mention it, people don't swallow, it's kind of power of suggestion. She didn't seem fazed by it.

Like I need more "stress" right? LOL

Oh, what does the MRI of the throat look for? I am thinking it was of brain and spine---??? I know they're all related, just wondering about specifics. I have had swallowing problems, have had my esophagus stretched over a year ago. It helped for less than a year, some of the gagging problems  are coming back, that's why I'm not keen on taking oral meds or vitamins. Ever choked on a calcium tablet? I think I read somewhere that throat issues are related to MS??

Suzanne
The operator told me that when they were doing the C-spine, any movement would make it less clear, and of course, when you swallow, your esophagus moves.  Were they really doing your throat, or was it just hanging in there along with your spine?  Sorry for your throat troubles.  Yes, I have read that swallowing difficulties are part of the deal--makes sense, since your esophagus has muscles that contract rhythmically to push the food to your stomach, and there must be nerves controlling that.  I've had a little trouble with a spastic throat, nothing as serious as you, however.

When they did my cervical MRI they told me not to swallow.  Of course after that it was impossible not to.  

They repeated it twice to get enough clear images.  I apologised, but seems they weren't fazed. I guess it is nearly impossible not to swallow when you are in that situation.

My MRI still turned out ok.  Don't worry.  I am sure they are used to it.

Sally

Get a load of this: the ultimate cruelty/irony.

During the MRI, they have the mirror thing rigged so I can see the techs in the control room.

And right as she told me to NOT swallow, she goes and pops a handful of something into her face, so I saw HER SWALLOW.

ROFL.........I shoulda used the panic button at that point and given her What-For.

Suzanne
Copied it from the original post..This worked for me.  Anyone else?

Here's Holly's super duper distraction technique for the prevention of swallowing:

Form a little reservoir using your tongue to make a cup up against the roof of your mouth.  As you start forming spit, suck it up into the little reservoir instead of letting it drip down into your throat, kind of like if you were gathering some up to spit on something.  Meanwhile recite something over and over to yourself--personal faves were the Lord's Prayer and 23rd Psalm.  Hmm, maybe I'll memorize something new for the next one.