Multiple Sclerosis Community
Neck muscle spasms?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Neck muscle spasms?

Just a quick question before I call it a night...I have been having weird pains in my neck for the last few days but when we got home after midnight on Saturday I needed to take a puff of my puffer desperately (around smoker's and forgot to take it with me).  Anyway, I went to take a deep puff and when I did I got a really strange and excrutiating pain in the right side at the back of my neck.  It felt like I had a large lump...like a half a football large...in the back of my neck and it was excrutiating!  I don't know if I could feel it with my hand because the pain was so bad I could hardly lift my hand to my neck.  

I wasn't going to mention it but today I have been having weird pains in my head and they are blinding!  It's like my head is that white concave bowl that they set our heads in to watch for the flashing light only the flashing light was a knitting needle poking in my head here, there and everywhere!  My neck is ok now but the knitting needles are still around here and there and it is really uncomfortable.

My question is, can you have a muscle spasm in your neck not unlike the one I had in the front of my thigh that made me sit up in bed screaming?  It seemed somewhat similar except the after effects are not so bad...any ideas???

Rena
Ok, so I'm not the voice of experience when it comes to MS, but....

I had neck spasms bad enough once (for NO reason), that they thought I had whip lash, and were going over (and over and over) my last few days/weeks to try and determine how I got it. I knew I didn't have whip lash, but they were pretty insistent.

I don't see any reason you couldn't have spasms like that girl. Wow, you're going through the ringer today aren't you?

Want to come over for some Kalhua? I hear it's a good relaxer! LOL

Christine
(un-dx)
Don't tempt me honey...if I had one drink I would probably be SPLAT on my face!

After yesterday though, maybe that's not such a bad idea?
Today I went to get a t-shirt from the shelf at the top of the closet and WHAM...next thing I know I am on the floor!!  What a shock that was!  When I am standing a put my head back and I am not hanging on to anything the room is in hyperdrive in circles!  Any ideas???

Rena
OMG Rena, I am so sorry.

How freaky that must have been. From what I have read (keeping in mind I am certainly no expert), people with MS can have a tough time when they put their heads back like that, with balance.

Mind you, since you're MS is INACTIVE, that can't possibly be your problem, right??

LOL I'm thinking of nasty names for your neuro right now!

Wish I had something more to offer, just what I have read.

Christine
(un-dx)
Ooh, that doesn't sound pleasant!  That's one of my big fears - passing out and falling on the floor.  

I think you can certainly get muscle spasms in the neck.  I just had lunch (at my desk, while working) and I kept having a cramp on the left side in the muscles that control swallowing.  I was a little concerned!  I didn't want to choke on what I was eating, especially not while I'm at work...  Just a little distracting to the coworkers.  

The muscle is still a little sore, but seems to have calmed down a bit.

Those blinding pains in your head sound like migraines - I wouldn't know, as I've never had one, but the symptoms sound the same.
Well Christine...how about we start a new contest...who can come up with the name that best describes my neurologist?  Wait, that wouldn't be fair cause I think most of them would be made up of asterisks!  ha ha

Jen...I hope that your swallowing problems doesn't continue...I have been there and it's not a lot of fun!  Still...it's probably  better to have a swallowing problem when you are around your co-workers rather than when you are alone when you think of it...your odds of survival increase when there is someone around that might know the heimlich!

Lots of Hugs,

Rena
The swallowing thing seems to have calmed down a bit!  Good thing, because the last thing I wanted was to mime the heimlich maneuver to my cubicle mate with a mouthful of mashed potatoes.