Multiple Sclerosis Community
Need help understanding MRI report

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Need help understanding MRI report

Hi all, I'm hoping someone could help me understand what my MRI findings mean, any and all replies, greatly appreciated!

On FLAIR sequence there is a patchy area of increased signal in the white matter of the occipital lobe, on sagittal FLAIR it shows a maximal measurement of about 15mm.

There are also tiny scatteed focal areas of high signalin the white matter of the frontal and paietallobes, most are only about 1-3mm in size.  20 or so lesions estimated

There is a juxtacortical lesion in the right frontal lobe, measures aboout 7mm..

MS is suspected, 5 oglioclonal bands fround in LP

Any help in understanding this would be greatly appeciated!
Confused by MRI in MA
When do you see your neuro next?
The most sense I can make, and it's limited, from MRI reports comes from the "Impressions" section. Here the radiologist gives their opinion about all the mumbo jumbo contained in the report. In your case it might give some indication of whether or not your lesions were the result of a demyelinating process, If so it might be indicative of MS.

As to the O-Bands, if they were found in your CSF but not in the serum that too is indicative of MS.

Most important is your clinical evaluation. As Jane asked, when do you see a neuro?

Kyle
Thank you both for writing me, I see my neuro on Monday.  Having an MRI on my thorasic spine tomorrow.

I am lost when it comes to the terminology, I have no idea what "patchy area of inceased signal..." means or what  "high signal" means.

There is no reason for you to understand these terms, unless you're a radiologist. It would be hard enough if all radiologist used the exact same terms, but they don't :-)

That's why I tend to focus on the Impressions section. My most recent Brain MRI report contained the phrase "The appearance is most suggestive of demyelination." That I can understand! My c-spine report contained the phrase "consistent with demyelinating lesions." This too I got :-)

Kyle
I second Kyle's advice. I have tried to learn as much as I can about MS in general, and I ask my doctors to tell me as much as they can about my own MS, but I try not to interpret my test results myself too much because it only drives me crazy.

I'm happy for you that you don't have an long wait to see your neuro so that he/she can explain the results to you. In order to tell you what's going on, the LP results will be reviewed in connection with the MRI, blood work, and any other tests you have had done.

Best wishes,
Jane
I had an MRI 6/21/12.  I was DX with MS in 2006, I had a serious attack from Jan 2012 to current with need symtoms (symptoms).  FINDINGS: No foci of gradient susceptibility.  There are a few tiny succortical FLAIR signal abnormalities noted within the bilateral frontal lobes and right greater than lefet parietal.

IMPRESSION: A few scattered nonspecific subcortical FLAIR signal abmormalities in an overall patter and distribution, which is atypical for classic MS; however, cannot be entirely exclude.

Doctors do not communicate, so can anyone help make me understand.

Thank you,
Chery