Negative MRI, yet diagnosed with Optic Neuritis
I found this forum and figured it wouldn't hurt to ask since my doctor has stopped responding to calls and its at least 3 weeks to see her (GP).
I am a 33 y/o female who was sent 2 weeks ago for an MRI to check for lesions as myself and the doctor were suspecting MS due to reoccurring tremors, to the bone "BURNING" pain in arms and feet and numbness.  According to the Doctor's receptionist, the MRI was clear (a copy of the report has been mailed to me), however I am now at 2.5 weeks of pain in my left eye that I went to have checked Saturday at the eye doctor.  After 2 hours and numerous tests and optic photos, I was diagnosed with Optic neuritis and told I will need IV steroids, but that either the GP or the eye specialist (whom he referred me to, and I know personally - she's my sons eye surgeon), will have to send me for it.  

I am concerned that the MRI was "clear" but that this was diagnosed as well.  I do have an appointment to see the neurologist, but that is not until July 30.  There was no contrast used in the MRI either, so Im not sure if that makes a difference.

Am I just driving myself crazy  for no reason, or is it possible for this to be clear, but still in the early stages (?) of MS?

I have 2 young children, and this pain, and these tremors worry me, and turn me into a terrible crank, and frankly that isn't my kids fault!

Thanks for reading.
Hi GG,

Optic neuritis is inflammation of the optic nerve. It can have many causes, including MS. Your MRI was deemed clear, which I understand to mean no lesions were found.

You don't mention whether the MRI was of your brain and your c-spine, or just your brain. It is very possible to have c-spine lesions but no brain lesions. C-spine lesions may be the cause of some of your arm and foot issues.

That the MRI was done only without contrast is less of an issue. ALL lesions will show up on a non-contrast MRI. New, or active, lesions will "enhance" (read glow or light up) in the presence of the contrast agent.

As frustrating as it is, there is still some diagnostic work ahead for you. I know that July seems like 4 lifetimes from now. Try and be patient. If it is MS, you should know that very little about MS, and its forward progress, happens quickly :-)

Kyle
The MRI was just of my brain.  I apologize for not mentioning that.
Thank you for the response!
Is this your first episode of symptoms, as I believe to be diagnoised you have to have had two episodes. I could be wrong??
ghost is right. Technically you need to have 2 bouts of symptoms separated by at least 30 days. This is where the contrast comes into play.

If your MRI shows some lesions that enhance, and some that don't, you pass the dissemination it time test. The non-enhancing lesions are generally older than 42 days and the enhancing ones less than 42 days old.

So it is possible to kill two birds with one MRI :-)

Kyle
Just wondering how you are doing...How did the appointment go in July?