Multiple Sclerosis Community
Nerve Pain, please help!

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Nerve Pain, please help!

I have persistent, severe nerve pain.  It's left-side burning, electric-like pain, mostly from shoulder down left arm, but can be on face, head, hip, leg.  Also deep stabbing pain around left shoulder blade and under left ribs.  Sometimes it's a 10+.  Ranges from 4 to 10.

Dx with RRMS in '97, very active 10+ years after, but on disability since 2008.  Take Rebif, on brk from Tysabri.  Have taken Lyrica + Tramadol to prevent pain since late 2008, it helped, but now the pain burns through even the max. dose.

I have an appointment with my neuro next week.  What new medication or treatments should I talk to him about to stop the pain?
sorry to hear your in so much pain, I don't know that much about medications and hope the Neuro can give you some that will help.  

maybe other can join in and give you some advise.

take care
wobbly
steroid infusions have helped me with TN and occipital neuralgia.  I take lyrica (300 mg) and gabapentin (900 mg) both, with percocet for breakthrough pain.  I'm also exploring acupuncture as a treatment, though this is very new.

My biggest problem with the anti-seizure drugs is that I feel like my body acclimates to them pretty quickly, so I'm constantly upping the dosage.  

Sorry to hear about your pain.  I know how you feel.

Stephanie

What has helped me with nerve pain are Gabapentin and Cymbalta.  When I first started with the meds, I had some succesws with Gabapentin and Elavil.  I also take oxycodone.  I'm sure there are others that your Dr. can try.  Good luck.

Frank
I'm sorry to hear that you are so much pain.  I know how difficult it is to do anything when you are in so much pain.

I take the Gaba, Flexeril, Tramadol and anything I can get OTC.  I don't take any narcotics at this point.

I hope you get some help from your docs.

Red
Sorry to hear about your pain.  It is terrible when you flare-up with this kind of pain.  I hope you can get it under control.  My neuro did tell me that Lyrica is great and 6 times stronger than Neurontin.

I have been on Neurontin for about 6 years now.  For myself of late, I have had what I think to be occipital neuralgia flares, which is also very painful.  It seems like there is a small component of the TN pain, but it is different of late.

Like Steph74 had stated, I wish that I could get my neuro onboard for steroid infusions.  This pain we all have like this is difficult to say the least.

Feel better!

terri
Thank you for your replies and good information.  I can see that this group is supportive and knowledgeable.

I meant to post the question in a place where a doctor would answer it, but I don't see a response from a doctor.  Can someone tell me how to post a ? to a doctor?

Thank you
Sorry that you are suffering such terrible nerve pain! The only thing that helps when mine gets bad is high dose Neurontin (gammapentin).

To ask a doctor go to the forums page and click on the right side under ask a doctor and you can post there.

Good luck - I hope that they help you find relief!
Erin :)