Multiple Sclerosis Community
Neuro psych exam

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Neuro psych exam

OT....I went to see a psychologist today and discussed the cognitive issues I have been having.  He suggested I see a neuro psychologist for a cognitive test.  He said the test will take most of the day.  I was telling my husband about the appt. and he said "I hope they don't take your drivers license away" Yikes! I hadn't thought about that.  I don't think I am a bad driver, but what if the exam shows I am not compitent to drive? I guess I am just worrying for nothing, but I don't know what I would do if I couldn't drive.
Hi Lydia,

I've never heard of that happening.  The neuropsych eval is kind of like an IQ test, and will show areas of strength and weakness in relation to your congnition.

My mom has dementia, and we had a VERY hard time getting her doc to tell her she couldn't drive anymore - even though we all knew she was not safe on the road.  We just ended up making the decision as a family since the doc wouldn't make it.

AS long as you can see, I think you'd be OK????   Maybe someone else will chime in.
Lydia,

I've not heard of anyone losing a driver's license because of a neuro psych exam.  

Despite what you think, this is not OT.... this is a very good tool for people with MS to use.

The test is extensive and exhausting from what I know.  It will last the better part of one day or is sometimes spread over two days.  

The information they get from the testing will provide a baseline for future looks at your cognitive abilities.  This is particularly useful if you work and eventually need to file for disability.

Relax and do the testing - it really is a good thing.

be well, Lulu
like Lulu said, this is not off the topic at all, actually it is quite common.

Try not to worry too much about this, there are a number of people here that have had these exams.  They can vary in length depending on what is being tested.  It can take an hour or many hours and many types of tests.

As for the drivers license----I'm wondering why the referring doctor mentioned this.  Has your level of cognition declined?   Are you talking to him about troubles driving?  There has to be a reason that he said this.

Driving is a priviledge.  If you have uncontrolled seizures, narcolepsy...things like that then you doctor can have it revoked for a time.  We all want our independence, driving is painful to lose.

Anyway,  hang in there and let us know how you are doing!

Red
Thanks for the comments, the more I thought about it the more I realized how silly it was.  It was my husband that mentioned the drivers license not the doctor.