Multiple Sclerosis Community
Neurologist Suspects MS

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Neurologist Suspects MS

Hello All,

I posted once on here back in August when I was experiencing really odd sensations on the left side of my body. I am happy to say that those symptoms cleared up again except for my left hand. Its not numb per say, just feels odd when I touch things.

The neurologist did a regular check up I think. He didn't find anything abnormal. Nothing wrong with my vision, balance, reflexes, strength, ect. The reason he suspects MS was because I can recall 2 separate occasions when I had abnormal sensations. He explained that prior to the use MRI's, 2 episodes was all that they needed to make a diagnosis of MS. I'm scheduled to have a brain, spinal cord MRI next Thursday.

QUESTIONS:

Does anyone have experience with just having sensory symptoms? Any literature that I can be directed too? I keep reading things about MS but people experiences are more severe than what I am experiencing.

MS is not in my family as far as I know. My mother said she use to have times when her foot would go numb around the time of here period when she was my age (~23) but that stopped a LONG time ago (she is 57). Her left hand fingertips are also numb. And have been for a few years. Is it possible she has MS too, just really minor, non debilitating form?

My #1 fear about all of these is telling my mother. I'm only 23 and her only child. I don't want to cause her any stress or worry with me being sick. I'm so scared to tell her. I just want to keep it a secret from her, and just tell her its something less chronic.

Lastly, are MS medications immune-surpressants? I work in pharmaceutical industry with vaccine production and that could affect my ability to work. I really like my job and I definitely need the companies insurance. Guess I have to pray on it.

I just needed to write some of my thoughts down since I don't know anyone with MS. Excuse the typo's

I got mixed advice when I was taking interferon.  The pharmacist and the injection nurse at the clinic I attend both told me to wear a face mask around people, because they were sure I was taking something that would lower my immune system.  But when the Rebif nurse visited me at home, she explained that the type of interferon we take (interferon beta 1a or 1b) affect T cells, and don't have a seriously averse affect on our immune systems.   If you know someone is sick, it's a good idea to wear a mask if you have to spend time around them; but otherwise, it shouldn't be a big deal.  

The only problem with interferons, if that they give you flu-like symptoms after you take them.  Some people manage them just fine, but they made me pretty sick for most of the next day.  (But that said- we found out I am allergic to interferon.)  One way to manage that would be to maybe take Avonex?  Once a week, perhaps on a schedule that allows for this problem to take place on a day of the week that you don't work?  

Then there's Copaxone.  I take this every day. It is more uncomfortable to take, but the discomfort only lasts about 15-20 minutes (as long as you get the needle depth right).  Then I have no further side effects.  

Also, don't worry about the needle for subcutaneous injections.  I was really nervous about it, but I usually don't feel anything.  When I do, it's only for a second.  The needle is so thin, and so sharp- your skin offers no resistance to it.  The pain - at least from Copaxone, comes after you are finished.  Put an ice pack on, and soon enough it's all over.  

Avonex is an intramuscular injection, but at least it's only once a week.
They will train you how to do it.  

If your doctor decides you should be started on this kind of therapy, he/she will probably tell you to do some research, and decide which one to try.  

Best wishes,
Tammy
I take Betaseron (interferon-beta) and they say to avoid hospitals and exposure to sick people.  It's supposed to be an immune suppressant.  Some people have the reaction - I'm one of the lucky few who do not.  I used to take Copaxone, but I get the immediate post-injection reaction.
Most of the time, I feel like I'm wrapped and feeling ever thing through a thin sheet of plastic or latex.  It is possible that your mother has MS.  There are criteria typically used to diagnose MS called McDonald criteria.  In order to have a diagnosis, a steady progression must be evident or there must be a combination of clinical evidence and lesions visible on an MRI.  I am using Copaxone currently.  I personally needed to increase my mood stabilizing medication to be able to handle effects as I have Bipolar Disorder.  Most of the side effects are superficial and temporary for me so far.  I anticipate long term cosmetic effects.  Some people experience immediate post injection reaction or site necrosis.  This may be caused by accidentally injecting in to a vein or by some one's unique make up.  Some people feel better after using heat on the site before and/or after injecting.  Some people like to use cold or a combination of the two.  For me, injecting myself once per day with minimal risk was more worthwhile than no treatment or feeling ill for a time every week or month.  Thankfully, I can use Copaxone for now and I hope it's being effective for me.  Best of luck.
GG,

Adding on a welcome to you. The doctor may suspect MS, and may be able to correlate a few things for the criteria based on initial suspicion, however much will need to be investigated in order to know if you truly have MS. In addition to the MRIs, a battery of labs should have been ordered as well.

I think you will find this write up informative because it speaks to what MS is, and what it is not.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multiple-Sclerosis/MS-and-References-to-DX-of-Exclusion/show/1602461?controller=posts&action=show&id=#

As to meds to treat the disease. As mentioned above, the original traditional meds, Copaxone, Rebif, Avonex, Betaseron are not immune suppressants - they are immune modulators. However, when on an interferon, there is a potential to have changes in blood counts. So, you are monitored. Not copaxone - it's a peptide.

I have to make a correction here to what's been said in reference to your Mom - No one can know that it's possible your Mom has MS. Please know a numb foot does not rise to the level of concern for MS. Don't want you to worry :)

Also, the McDonald Criteria does not state that there has be a steady progression for dx.

If you would like to learn more about the dxing MS, and the criteria - our health pages are jammed with good information. You can find them toward the right of your screen.

Thanks for joining us again, and hope we can help.
-Shell