Multiple Sclerosis Community
Neuropsych Testing

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Neuropsych Testing

The last time I saw my VA Neuro I told him about my OCD type movements I have been developing and the couple of times I could not recognize items I should have been able to. As a result he put in a request for Neuropsych testing which has been scheduled for mid June. It actually consists of 2 appointments the first of which is listed as only Neuropsych and 1 hour later as Neuropysch testing.   I have had some neuropysch testing by my doctors over the years which consisted of things like having to remember 3 items and similar fairly simple tests that only took maybe 10 minutes to do. So I am wondering if this would be the same as those or something more involved. I have seen posts here where other have mentioned seeing Neurophysciologist  in the past and am looking to find out what those appointments were like.

As an aside someone recently mentioned the VA centers of excellency for MS so I looked on the web for their site. The nearest one to me is in Memphis, TN about 180 miles away. Figures I would move to the wrong area of the state. :). But the interesting thing I found on the site was that trouble recognizing things can be one of the symptoms of MS. This is the only place I have found this about MS and I have never heard of anyone on here having that problems ( at least that I can remember).

Dennis
HI Dennis

sorry to hear that you are having problems with remembering things I have had the tests now for the last 3 years and I have declined severely this year. the tests last anywhere from 2 to I heard 5 hours but mine was about 2 hours and they are pretty extensive testing and you will be able to establish a baseline in case you need another test further down the road.

I had to leave my job this year due to the decline in cognitive function working in a pharmacy there were days I couldnt remember how to write my own name never mind dictate a doctors prescription orders so I decided it was time to go before I ended up potentially severely hurting or killing a patient. I am undiagnosed so far but not one stupid doctor could tell me why I have cognitive decline went from mild 3 years ago to now mod to severe in some areas and I am only 39

I wish you luck dont stress over the tests and the doc that did mine was wonderful and he explained the results right after and then mailed me the entire reports so I could see for myself and I can call him anytime to go over things, my ins only pays for it once a year so I am not due again till december .

take care
Kat
Thank you for your response. I was not worried about the test but hoping it would be a more though test than those I have had done by my PCP in the past. They always used the same 3 words for me to remember so after a while they became part of my long term memory instead of my short term memory. Kind of defeated the purpose of the test. So when I have a $50 co-pay I was concerned this would be a waste of my money.

I also had to leave my work ( over 20 years ago ) due to cognitive problems for the most part. I have even had the problem of not being able to write my own name. When I lived in Florida I went through some vocational rehab testing that was to take place over a 3 day period. By the middle of the second day the head of the rehab place told me that I was so bad off they could not train me to do anything and there was no use in me continuing the testing.

Dennis
Hey Dennis the tests will be worth a $50 co-pay they will be very extensive . did you get ssdi? thats what I applied for in March wont hear anything to september at least

good luck
Kat

Hi, Dennis-

I just completed a neuro-psych exam this past week.  It was over two days.  Each day was from 8:30 am to 3:00 pm.   I had an hour lunch break each day and one small 15 minute break each day, too.  I took all of my medical records with me, not sure if she would be interested in it or not.  I am glad I did because she was very happy I did and was very interested in all of it.  She took copies of everything.

The testing was rather interesting to me.  It was like a gazillion little tests all day long.  Some seemed to be based on memory and some based on cog.  Some of it revolved around depression and anxiety, too.  There was also questions about my health and childhood.  I was also given homework on the first day.  My mom had to fill out a packet of questions about me.  I was given the same type of packet of questions that I had to fill out, plus two other packets of questions.  

I found the whole process interesting.  I had a very small version of this done through my process of applying for SSDI.  But, nothing like the testing that I had last week.

I can tell you that the two days of testing wiped me out.  It was very tiring!  I just pushed through it.  

She told me at the end of the second day that she was going to go through everything.  When she was finished, she would call me to set up an appointment to go over everything.  She said it would probably take her a week or so.   I have not had this appointment yet.  

So, this was my experience.  It doesn't sound like what you have scheduled, I don't think.  But, I thought I would still share my experience with you.  

Hugs,
Addi