MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS
COMMUNITY
New Flu Shots with H1N1
by lmeiser45, Oct 06, 2010
Should we get this new flu shot with both Vaccines in it? I've always gotten it, but now I don't know.  
Thanks,
Leah
Member Comments (15)
by Heather3418, Oct 06, 2010
You should go ahead and get the flu shot.  It contains the vaccine for Type A flu, Type B and H1N1.  It should have no adverse effect on you.  I just got mine, as a matter of fact, about an hour ago.  My shoulder is usually sore for a couple days and the injection site is very warm, but I have never had any trouble with the flu vaccines or even the swine flu.

Since I have MS, my Neuro and my primary care doctor always recommend the shot.  The medical profession used to say that those with certain illnesses and people of certain ages, should only need the shot.  Now they encourage everyone to get the vaccine, since it is suppose to protect us and those we come in contact with.  I do not know about babies and what age, they suggest the shot, or pregnant women.

Feel secure and go ahead and get your vaccine.

All the best,
Heather
by MsWobbles, Oct 06, 2010
I don't know the current practice for people with MS getting the new flu shot, but I do know this:  There is no such thing as a guarantee of "no risk" when it comes to vaccines.  We can have differing responses to vaccines, just as with any medication, due to our individual differences and also due to differences in the vaccine lots.  Anytime you take a vaccine, you are accepting the risk of reaction, whether minor or serious.

My father-in-law paid the ultimate price for getting his Swine flu shot back in the late 1970s (I think that was the decade).  I still feel guilty for advising him to get it.  
His shot came from a bad lot of the vaccine which was taken off the market a week after he got his shot.  He was dead within a month of getting his vaccination after a steady downhill slide. It is hard to get accurate numbers about such reactions as they are often either not reported or are swept under the rug so to speak.

However, there is a vaccine awareness watchdog group called "National Vaccine Information Center" which you can access online.  It was started by parents whose children had been killed or crippled by their required vaccinations (after the parents were reassured the shots were harmless).  In fact, due to the efforts of the founding parents of the NVIC, there is now a Federal fund established to help pay for the care of such vaccine-disabled children (though the govt. likes to decline such benefits - so it usually requires quite a battle to collect).  The NVIC website also has information about the Swine flu vaccine.  The National Vaccine Information Center is an established and influential group that meets and interacts with governmental officials, lawmakers etc. helping to create new vaccine law.  Their research is excellent - they use credentialed investigators.  They were a big reason why the P in the  DPT shot was changed from the dangerous whole-cell pertussis to the acellular pertussis.  Many children's lives were saved by that change.   Japan had recognized the dangers of the whole-cell pertussis and subsequently had stopped using it a full decade before the United States did.    

I wish you luck in your decision. Most likely nothing bad will happen.  But when it comes to vaccines, there is never no risk.

WAF

by slloweBlank, Oct 06, 2010
Hi Lmeiser,

I feel if if you usually get it, it will be no different. They always adjust the vaccine to the expected strains, so H1N1 is included this year.  Last year I received it separate and my arm hurt less from the H1N1 than from the seasonal flu-shot.

WAF (don't you blame yourself girl) is right, nothing much comes w/absolute no risk. Not even walking out the door in the morning. Our futures are so uncertain.

Wishing you peace with your thoughts and decisions.
-Shell
by Lulu54Blank, Oct 06, 2010
We batted this one around last week.  

You can read that info at :

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multiple-Sclerosis/Flul-shot/show/1356026

I had my shot about 2 weeks ago, it was combined, and I had no reaction or problem with it.  Discuss this with you doctor and weigh the risks, accordingly.

be well,
Lulu
by COBOB, Oct 06, 2010
Unless you have HIV, are immuno-compromised, or you are allergic to one of the vaccine  components (like eggs,)  I'd say get it (so does the CDC and WHO.)  The potential benefits have statistically far out weighed the risks.   Like any other therapy, its a risk management game.  What are the risks vs. what are the benefits.  Flu with a 103+ fever would drive my body totally nuts.  It might take weeks to months to recover, if I recover.  I'm getting the shot.  I've gotten it every year since 1980 ('80-'92 the Navy forced it on me.) Worked so well I've gotten it on my own since '92.  If you're really worried, ask your PCP.

Bob
by willowwoman7, Oct 06, 2010
My neuro told me "absolutely no shot" this year. He wasn't happy I got it last year w/o asking him, so this year my pcp made me call him and he told me an adamant no. Since he is MY dr, I feel if I'm going to trust him, I have to trust him on this too. My neuro says it can cause an exacerbation and I just had an exacerbation in July. Plus, for me, I had swine flu last year and from what I'm hearing, if gotten again it's milder.
by COBOB, Oct 06, 2010
Right, but the vaccine is DEAD.  It does "kick" your immune systems to make antibodies.  If you get exposed to the LIVE FLU, I can guess the the immune system will make the same anti bodies on top of being sick.  My body, my call.  I;m getting the vaccine, because I can;t handle a battle with the flu on top the the neurologic issues.

Here is what the National MS Society says:

Immunizations and Multiple Sclerosis, a clinical practice guideline published by the Multiple Sclerosis Council for Clinical Practice Guidelines in 2001, presents conclusions based upon the research data available up to that time. The expert panel used the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as a foundation for the development of its guideline. The CDC has developed guidelines for immunizations for all adults (www.cdc.gov). The consensus of the panel, based on the available research data, was that people with MS should not be denied access to health-preserving and potentially-life saving vaccines because of their MS, and should follow the CDC guidelines for any given vaccine.

Decisions about the potential benefits and risks of any given immunization need to be made in consultation with your healthcare providers, including your family physician and neurologist.Some, but not all, immunizations have been evaluated for safety and efficacy in people with MS:

A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine (Confavreux et al., 2001) found that vaccination for tetanus, hepatitis B, or influenza did not appear to increase the short-term risk of relapses (also called attacks or exacerbations) in people with MS.

A study published in the Archives of Neurology (DeStefano et al., 2003) found that vaccination against hepatitis B, influenza, tetanus, measles, or rubella did not increase a person’s risk of developing MS or optic neuritis (which is often a first symptom of MS).

It is not a doctors call.   It is a call that should be jointly made between a patient and their doctor.  Remember, we know that the doctors don't read the studies like the ones mentioned above.

Bob
by COBOB, Oct 06, 2010
By the way, in the last 20 years (that I know of,) most flue vaccines have been "trivalent."  They contain the three leading strains projected for outbreak in the coming season.  There is nothing new about mixing strains in the inactivated influenza vaccine.

Bob
by Ufrustrated2, Oct 06, 2010
i had mine from the VA this week. it had 3 in 1. regular flu shot, H1N1 and some other.

when i lived in the East Bay Area, i always got the flu thing bad a few times a year.

now this is just me, but i think the flu shots have helped with the intensity of my bouts with it since i started getting it some years back. i have no scientific data to back that up though. just a living experience in my case.