Multiple Sclerosis Community
New here

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

New here

I am new here and spending a lot of my time on google which is making my anxiety go through the roof.  I am in the process of finding out what is going on with me.  My first problem was about a year ago I felt as though I was getting the flu and I had pain in my ear for a few weeks.  I was sick to my stomach then went to bed, when I woke three hours later the room was spinning, and i was vomiting.  I thought I was having a stroke and was taken to the ER.  A ct scan was done and they said it was an inner ear infection.  Now a year later I started getting pain in my ear again and was afraid it was a sign the vertigo was returning.  It didn't, however I started getting headaches, and dizziness which had never happened before, it felt like a vice was squeezing my head, my sinuses hurt and I had tingling throughout my head.  Everyday it seemed as though I had more symptoms.  I had intermittent tingling in feet legs hands arms stomach eyes.  My legs felt heavy, my calfs had squeezing around them as did my left upper arm.  The side of my face felt numb.  Most of these symptoms would come and go through out the day.  After four weeks things were settling down until I caught a cold and everything ramped up again.  Headaches are daily and now it seems as though my eyes are bouncing back and forth.  I have seen a neurologist who is a MS specialist, a MRI of head and spine was done on a 1.5T without contrast, not many 3T's in Canada.  My neurologist called me to say it was inconclusive, however I had more bright spots than there should be for someone my age, I am 47.  I have high blood pressure controlled by meds, he said it could be that.  I am scheduled for evoked potentials testing in June and see him at the end of June and need a repeat mri in six months.  I am very scared and don't see how it could be anything but MS considering my symptoms.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
Hi there and welcome. You have found a great group here of caring people.

You and I have similar symptoms. I had my first episode of vertigo about 3 years ago. For me, I woke up from a good night's sleep, feeling fine, but when I turned over to get out of bed the room started spinning and I was vomiting. It lasted the whole day. I figured it was the stomach flu and I didn't have another problem until last December. Since then, I've had vertigo every day, but at this point it usually only lasts a few seconds and seems to happen most often when I tilt my head back.

I have headaches, stiff neck, muscles and achey (achy) joints every day. You mentioned your "eyes bouncing back and forth" and I'm not sure what you mean by that - but for me I also was diagnosed with uveitis in both eyes but was worse in the left that started last May and has continued to flare up periodically and requires steroid eye drops. Lately, I just have pain, off and on in both eyes, but without the light sensitivity or redness associated with the uveitis. I also have tingling that started first in my legs, then moved into my arms. That lasted for a few weeks. Now I don't notice it quite every day but several times a week off and on.

When the vertigo started my dr referred me to a neurologist who suspected MS and sent me for MRI, VER and lumbar tap. All came back normal except for the MRI, which showed enlarged ventricles and some nonspecific T2 hyperintensities. The radiologist's feeling was it was related to small vessel disease, prominent for my age. (I'm 46). I was referred to a neurosurgeon, who disagreed with the need for surgery.

After the first neurologist referred me to a neurosurgeon, I began looking for a second opinion from another neurologist. I have an appointment with a neurologist who is an MS specialist a week from tomorrow and hope to get some answers from him.

I understand your concerns and hope you are able to get some answers soon. This group is wonderful and you will receive a lot of encouragement and support here.