Multiple Sclerosis Community
Newbie introduction

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Newbie introduction

Hi everyone.  I was Dx with MS last Wednesday, and will be starting Copaxone.
I am 43, married for 23 years, have 2 daughters who are 22 & 18.  My husband just retired from the military after returning from a 24 month deployment.  So I'm starting a new life phase, adjusting to having my man back in the house....going through empty nest....may have to move (depending where hubby gets a new job) AND now have MS.  (cue my midlife crisis, LOL).
I've been spending a lot of time since last week Dx catching up on all the wonderful postings.
I look forward to meeting you, and learning more about MS.  Thank you all for sharing your experiences, it was helpful to me in choosing copaxone over the other CRABs to start.
I'm easy going, like to have fun in the things I do (especially things I HAVE to do).
Though MS brings us together, it helps to know I'm not alone =)
.....laurie
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you're going through so much at one time.

I'm glad you found us on here and hope we can all help answer your questions, concerns. Feel free to vent whenever you need to, we can all relate on some level or another.

Take care,

Kelly (limbolander)
Hi Laurie and welcome!

I'm sorry to hear of your dx but like many others before have said, at least you know what you are battling. Since you've read  a lot of the postings I'm sure you can see any and every question is allowed as long as it isn't mean-spirited or vulgar.

If you haven't noticed, we have a set of Health Pages located in the upper right hand corner of this page , next to the yellow icon. These are a great asset and cover a variety of topics and contain a wealth of information.

You can also search our archives by typing in your subject matter in the "Search this Community" bar located at the top of the Recent Activity sidebar.

I can commiserate with the empty nest syndrome. Sent my oldest to Pharmacy School this week and my youngest off to college for the first time. Moved the middle daughter to a new residence last week.  However, you 've got me beat on the DH retirement and seeking new job and possible relocation.

You are doing the right thing by taking it easy! Midlife crisis and all.

Again, welcome,
Ren
*Waves hand*

Welcome Laurie!  I'm sorry to hear about your dx as well. I hope you can find some peace in knowing what you are fighting. I am another limbolander here but hope to be a bit closer to answers by the end of the month when I the MS specialist.

If I may ask... What are you symptoms? What lead to your diagnosis?

Take care again,
~Barb
Hi there,

Wow, your world sure has flipped a switch. But, so glad you are with us. I'm glad you joined. And, since you are newly dx'd, and hubby is home now, the pharm manufacturers sure do offer a lot of newly dx'd seminars and dinners! You can get out of cooking, and enjoy your time w/hubby and learn some new lifestyle things together (Besides getting back to some overdue fun w/hub ;).

Nice to meet you, Laurie. I'm Shelly, and I was dx'd in 07. I've been on Rebif mostly since dx and juggle work and home most times -  though my kids are getting bigger (22, 18, 17) seems some things were easier when they were little. And, this MS sure does change how your use to operating. Such a monkey wrench. But, like you, I'm easy going and like to have fun so I give most all I've got.

No matter where you end up w/the move, know we're right at your fingertips. Hope all come along to say hello and welcome as well and that Copax serves you and this disease well!

-Shell

Welcome Laurie. Yes you do have a lot to adjust to. One good thing the military teaches families is how t be flexible and adjust that is a good model for MS. The first year after diagnosis can be a roller coaster ride of emotions. Shock, relief you have a diagnosis, denial some one is going to tell me they got it wrong, lots of swings. Just take it one day at a time. Their will be adjusting with your husband getting out as well. Moving as well.

I was diagnosed in 2009. I have had MS my whole life but back in the 1960's they did not know children got MS. Unlike others I learned to adjust to my MS at every stage because I did not know there was any other way. I am glad I now know why my body does what it does. The one thing I have learned is everyone's MS is different. I was waiting after diagnosis to have every MS symptom. I now know it goes case by case. It is unpredictable but I do not have to predict every scenario, it may not come to pass.

I still lead an active life style as much as I can. I keep reinventing myself. I took up dressage horseback riding a year ago when I could no longer bicycle. I have bucket list of things to do.

Alex

Hello.

welcome to the forum, and sorry about the dx.  Take one day at a time and like they said you can ask your questions here.  We are not doctors but many of us have experience with the same things and can understand and empathize, even offer suggestions.

One thing I have learned has helped me and it is even something I can use in my work as I create lesson plans is to write my questions down as they occur to me so I have them all ready for my dr.s appointment - that way I don't forget them.

Shannon
Welcome Laurie!  Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  When it rains, it pours huh?  Lol  This forum is filled with caring people.  It makes me feel like I am not alone out here.  The answers we get here, you cannot find in a doctors office.  

I am 38 and a married mother with three children ages 12, 10, and 8.  I have only been diagnosed four months now.  It was also a shock to me.  I am on Copaxone too.  If you ever have any questions please ask!  There is so much we can all learn from one another.

Jeny  
Hi Laurie and welcome to the family... Not happy about what brought you here but I'm very happy you found us... This is the best group of people I've ever had the pleasure of getting to know...

We all have our ups and downs, laughs, and cries but whatever it is at the time we are here for each other... I hope to get to know you better and very happy to have you aboard...

I'll be praying,
Carol