Multiple Sclerosis Community
Next 5 days...Be Safe, Be Prepared...

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Next 5 days...Be Safe, Be Prepared...

As always, the weather, our environment and being prepared for natural disasters, or the potentials is critical in everyday living and moreso for people with disabilities, or those who care for them.

The impending potential collision of weather systems from the west, the north, and hurricane Sandy will greatly affect areas of the East Coast.

Felt this list of helpful reminders would serve as a refresher n preparedness good measure.
Be safe, (((hugs))) - shell
_______________________________________________

Disability/Special Need
Additional Steps

Visually impaired
May be extremely reluctant to leave familiar surroundings when the request for evacuation comes from a stranger. A guide dog could become confused or disoriented in a disaster. People who are blind or partially sighted may have to depend on others to lead them, as well as their dog, to safety during a disaster.

Hearing impaired
May need to make special arrangements to receive warnings.

Mobility impaired
May need special assistance to get to a shelter.

Single working parent
May need help to plan for disasters and emergencies.

Non-English speaking persons
May need assistance planning for and responding to emergencies. Community and cultural groups may be able to help keep people informed.

People without vehicles
May need to make arrangements for transportation.

People with special dietary needs
Should take special precautions to have an adequate emergency food supply.

People with medical conditions
Should know the location and availability of more than one facility if dependent on a dialysis machine or other life-sustaining equipment or treatment.

People with intellectual disabilities
May need help responding to emergencies and getting to a shelter.

People with dementia
Should be registered in the Alzheimer's Association Safe Return Program

Remember, preparedness must begin with you. Preparation, which includes practice, is the key to success in dealing with a disaster. Preparation is an ongoing process. Keep in mind the usual means of support and assistance may not be available during an evacuation and after the disaster. Prepare a personal disaster plan with the following in mind:

Create a network of neighbors, relatives, friends, and coworkers to aid you in an emergency. Discuss your needs and make sure everyone knows how to operate necessary equipment.

Discuss your needs with your employer.

If you are mobility impaired and live or work in a high-rise building, have an escape chair.

If you live in an apartment building, ask the management to mark accessible exits clearly and to make arrangements to help you leave the building.

Keep specialized items ready, including extra wheelchair batteries, oxygen, catheters, medication, prescriptions, food for service animals, and any other items you might need.

Be sure to make provisions for medications that require refrigeration.

Keep a list of the type and model numbers of the medical devices you require.

Wear medical alert tags or bracelets to identify your disability.

Know the location and availability of more than one facility if you are dependent on a dialysis machine or other life-sustaining equipment or treatment.

Disability organizations must join with relief and rescue organizations and the media to educate and inform their constituents of disaster contingency and self-help plans. A universal design approach to meeting the needs of people with disabilities before and after a disaster will benefit many people without disabilities, such as the very young or the aged. A look at existing agreements among relief organizations and local, state, federal, and international governments will offer guidance in developing effective strategies for universal design and implementation plans.

Citation: Disabled World News - Information regarding disaster and emergency planning and procedures for seniors and persons with disabilities in emergencies: http://www.disabled-world.com/disability/emergency/#ixzz2APmOqxWH
Thanks for this, Shelly.

I have stocked up on stuff, but if things get bad for more than a day or two, I'll be off to the further west with my pup. I hope others will be able to do this too, though not everyone can.

According to NBC News, 50 million Americans could be affected, if this turns into a Perfect Storm. Let's hope it doesn't.

ess
Your welcome.

Good plan Essy. Just don't wait too long ma'lady to get out of dodge if you have to.

It is not likely, by any measure available, we will missed. The two fronts combined with Sandy, on a full moon make the threat serious, and extreme.

All in the danger zones along the East should plan for power outages, and extreme conditions.
-Shell

Wishing you all safety.
-Shell

p.s.

For all who don't know me so well, new comers, etc. I'm not an alarmist by any means :)

It's just this serious.
-Shell
Great advice, Shell.  I'll be thinking of you all and hoping everyone stays out of harm's way.
Stay safe all of you New Englanders!

Laura
Wait. What? ...
Shell, can you post this in the health pages ? or not?  That was a great post, even if I am not in harms way.  But it would be nice to know where to find it.

thanks, meg

I'm out in the storm, at least for next couple days, DC today, TN tomorrow, trying to stay safe
Thanks all! Jane - I have to laugh, my daughter does the "wait....what?" ALL the time when she misses something and it's a huge joke in my house! haha thanks for the laugh.

All - this is such a serious event. I'll gladly add something to the healthpages Meg in the coming weeks. It's likely we'll not see something like that again for a good long time.

The hurricane will actually be drawn in by the west, which will make it worse during the turn that is forcasted to hit jersey, or the delmarva just below in delaware. Regardless of landfall location, it's so large and the power it will get from the other makes it a perfect storm.

Some have said a hurricane inside a nor'easter....imagine that, mother nature dressing up for halloween ;) yikes! scary, hahaha

Be safe all ((((Hugs)))) shell
what a good pre parer you are Shell.......... great advice....
for us up here and earthquaks too, they were talking about it on the radio this morning.

Hoping this is not a sign.,

Thanks for the post,
((((HUGS)))
Candy
Thanks, Shell.

Good words of advice.

I'm in southeastern Ct and things right now don't look good for us. The major problems will be coastal flooding and high wind, with the likelihood of prolonged power outages.

I live alone and tried to get ready today, but my grill has rusted out and camping stove does not work. If I can't find a replacement tomorrow, I might stay with my sister.

For all who are in the path of this storm, please take it seriously. This is not a typical hurricane.

Be safe.
here's hoping all of you on the east coast have laid out your plans and have all the supplies you need to get you through a few days, I sure hope 'Frankenstorm' turns the other way.
I'm glad I made you giggle, Shell I went out on my bike yesterday for supplies (water, pantry goods, etc.), and made sure my flashlight next to my bed is in working order. It's starting to get windy here already. I'll be wishing everyone a safe, warm, dry next couple of days.

- Jane
Stay safe, all you east coasters!  Sending good thoughts!  Shell, I second Meg's motion to include that fabulous list to the HPs.
Be careful and smart out there everyone on the east coast.  I love weather stuff, but I don't like all the damage that's caused by the weather - especially when they become natural disasters.  
be smart everyone and please check in when you can to give us a thumbs up that all our east coasters are safe and dry.
Here in the Baltimore area the rain is fierce but the wind hasn't yet been too bad. Still have power (fingers crossed). We are lucky that Sandy didn't hook a left up the Chesapeake Bay, which was a real possibility. Of course that means horrible conditions in Jersey.

Naturally all local TV is nonstop weather, and they say the worst here will be from 8 this evening till 8 Wednesday morning. I have family in several areas in the storm's path, but thus far everyone is safe and sound. It's a good thing because there's no escaping Sandy. To the west the blizzards are starting!

I hope others who can do so will check in here. Stay safe.

ess

Oops, I meant Tuesday morning, not Weds. It just SEEMS like forever.
Watching all that crazy weather from afar and hoping you all stay safe and warm.  Hope you don't lose power.  Make sure you fully charge all your devices though while you still have power, just in case.
Things are much better here this morning, though everything is still shut down, no mass transit, roads flooded, etc. More to come today, but nothing like yesterday. Still huge power outages. And cold!

I feel so bad for folks in NJ and NY.

ess

My aunt lives on Long Island. I woke up this morning to the news and the craziness going on. I texted her to see how she was. Thank The Lord she made it through. She said it was a wicked and powerful storm. Power still out and they expected it to be for a few days. I am praying for all those stuck in the storm. I am praying especially for those in Queens where the fires hit. I am praying for all those patients who are having to be transferred from the hospital. I am praying for those stuck on the roofs.

I hope all those who are on this forum and live in those areas took the warnings serious. Everything they expected and more happened. Thank you Lord for keeping my aunt safe. May god bless you all.

Kimberly
Greetings from Great Neck, Long Island NY. The news says 90% of Long Island is without power. Somehow I'm in the other 10%! I've lived in the northeast my whole life. I spent every summer on the Jersey Shore. Been through my fair share of big storms, I have never seen anything remotely like this.

Kyle
I'm so glad to hear you are safe, Kyle. May your power continue to stay on. I hope you have lots of supplies in case things start getting low in your area over the next couple of weeks. Keep in mind, you and your amazing co-pilot (and the kitties, too) are always welcome in Boston if things get rough.

- Jane
Thanks to all for their thoughts and prayers.

Last night, not a single breeze or movement inthe air. It was the calmest I've ever seen the earth. Not a tree leaf budging, just completely still.

Sandy, the nor'easter, and the tropical cyclone - all gone.  What a nightmare, and like Kyle says, have seen nothing even comparible to it, and hope never again. But, my family and I are safe.

Many, many others lost so much. I'm continuing to pray for them, they surely need it.

Will be cleaning up, but will see you all again regularly soon :)

((((Hugs))))
shell

Shelly Belly, what city are you in? The day after the storm the wind was super calm in Boston, too. I'm glad to hear you are safe. I didn't realize you were in the zone.
Glad to hear all my fellow east coasters are safe -  Down here in Maryland lots of rain and wind -  Some leaky windows but other than that power stayed on and my work closed so it was a nice lazy day listening to the pounding wind and rain.  Kyle I too grew up going to the Jersey shore as  grew up in NJ.  Deeply saddened to see the devastation.  Especially Point Pleasant -  we used to go there to ride the rides all the time. Very sad....
There are 4 places in Bay Head and Mantoloking NJ where the ocean and the bay are now connected. This ain't the way it was or is supposed to be. There were houses where the water now flows.
It's devastating.

I'm 10 minutes from Toms River, if that, and only 20 from Point. It's really as bad, if not worse from what you are seeing on the news.

Tough, tough days, months ahead. I'm glad I live in the pines, not on the water, but none-the-less, it looks like a warzone here. Limited food, gas, etc., but God it good and we are ok. Jersey will rebuild like so many other states wiped out by storms.

Keep all in your thoughts and prayers. I'll be back here to help our forum members just as soon as I've exhausted what I can do here.

Hugs to you all.
-Shell
Shell:

Glad to hear you are safe. You will be in my thoughts, as the recovery will take considerable time and effort. My neighbor's family is near you in Brick and Pleasant Point.

Power came back on last night. Connecticut was spared the brunt of the storm with only coastal communities sustaining widespread damage on the immediate shoreline. My white pines stayed standing, however several in the neighborhood did come down, including one which landed on top of a home.

My thoughts and prayers are with the people of New Jersey and New York who have had their lives severely disrupted by this storm. Special prayers for those who died and their families and loved ones.