Multiple Sclerosis Community
Night Sweats

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Night Sweats

This may be totally unrelated to MS but I have been waking up at night drenched in sweat. My clothes and hair  wet and even my sheets will be damp with sweat. Yes....I know that's pretty gross but I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience. I haven't seen it listed as a side effect of Copaxone so I wouldn't think that is the problem and I'm 34 so I think I would be too young for menopause although I know some women do experience it early. I freeze alot during the day so I'm not sure why I sweat so much at night.
I was having the same problem off and on and when I looked into it a common cause in non-menopausal women is hyperthyroidism.  It hasn't happened to me for a while so I haven't seen a dr about it but will mention at my next visit and perhaps have him check my thyroid just in case.  

It can also be a side effect of meds like anti-depressants, or may be a sign of infection.

The only other time I have had horrible night sweats was when I had infectious mono in my early 20s.  I changed my pjs several times a day.  I wasa sleeping like 20 hours a day but would wake every few hours completely drenched.

There are moisture wicking pjs and bedding available and may be helpful to those who have a chronic problem with night sweats.  Also a product called Chillow which is a pillow that stays cold throughout the night.

I get them randomly, usually 2-3 nights in a row and then nothing for a stretch.
Yes, I have these off/on since my early 30's but I was having troubles with this more frequently when I was in a more active phase of the disease/illness. (I have been stable for a few months.) The sweats were more prevalent near my cycle as were my Neurological symptoms as nearly every month I went through a pseudo flare.

Ultimately, I think my body was struggling with regulating itself during that year. The immune response was to raise my temperature at night (like it was fighting an illness) and the sweats were from my temperature breaking. At least in my mind that makes sense in my mind. lol

I have to admit, it all freaked me out quite a bit. I was very concerned I had cancer but the LP cleared that up and my symptoms have stablized.

Some common causes of night sweats: hyperthyroidism, uncontrolled hypoglycemia as well as normal hormone fluctuations in your life.
I have had night sweats like you describe in the past. Usually they will last for a week or so. It is gross, like you said. They usually wake me up they're so gross, and then I change clothes.

I'm also like you in that I'm generally freezing during the day. I never thought to associate the sweats with anything, though.
I get night sweats too at times.  I have noticed them since I was in my young 20's.  I did mention it once to my doctor years ago but all she said was "your too young for night sweats"  so I forgot about mentioning it again.

I also have hyperhydrosis, though.  Don't know if they are somehow related?  
Make sure and let your dr. know.  Just to make sure you don't have an infection or hormones that are off.  Atleast rule that out.  You don't need anything more on your plate.  You are a little young for menopause symptoms but I suppose stranger things have happened:-).  They might want to run some lab test to make sure all is ok.  Nothing more yucky then waking up soaked with sweat!  Bless your heart!  Let us know what they say.  Goodluck!