Multiple Sclerosis Community
Not a Question, Just a Mimic

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Not a Question, Just a Mimic

My cervical spine MRI showed cervical spondylosis with foraminal narrowing.

The possible side effects account for ALMOST all of my symptoms.

I couldn't find any link between this and some of the weirder stuff like my aphasia, though, until this morning.

I still can't find a link to anything spinal, since these are brain issues, but searching "sleep deprivation" along with my other symptoms provided an answer! Sleep deprivation can cause secondary aphasia and emotional lability, the two biggest concerns of mine I couldn't explain.

I haven't slept really well in a dozen years or so. Even when I get the hours in (rare), I always feel semiconscious. I used to be able to nap in the afternoons if nothing else, but I haven't been able to do that this year - my muscles are just too tight for me to relax enough to get to sleep before it's time to wake up.

Obviously, I'll talk to my regular doctor and my neurologist about this when I see them in early January and make sure my theory isn't way off base, but I really think this is probably the doorway out of Limboland for me.

One of the first things I ever complained about to my old doctor was neck and shoulder pain. Rather bizarre that no one ever though to order this test until now, don't you think?

On another note, if this is all what it seems to be, I'll probably be spending my time on a different board if I need to ask about stuff. I'd like to thank each and every one of you for being so welcoming, kind, sympathetic, and just all-around wonderful as I've hunted for an answer! I wish each of you more happiness than you know what to do with!
I was told by my doctor most MRIs show spondylosis with foraminal narrowing. I have it in the cervical and lumbar regions. It is like most MRI's of the brain show stuff in your sinuses. I think it is just how we age. My doctor sends me to physical therapy for all the discs and shoulder. Having strong muscles is the key to the wear and tear.

Alex
I have it too in my cervical neck area...and the Dr said the MRI is fine??

so, stick around...

take care
wobbly
dx
Hi Trace. Have you had a sleep study to document your very light sleep? That could prove a lot. Do you ever take sleep meds such as Lunesta or Ambien? And if so, are your symptoms better with decent sleep?

I hope you're at the end of this process, but maybe not.

Best of luck,

ess
I know spondylosis is usually related to age - but I'm 37! I've had symptoms since I was 25, starting with neck pain and arm numbness. Geez, I HOPE I'm at the end of this. Discouraging to think I might not be.

I have had to wonder why I might have been developing arthritis at 25, though - but then again, I used to do a lot of hard, physical work, and I was a runner in college. The other thing I've wondered about, though, is Lyme. It might explain early arthritis, and it would explain cognitive issues.

My doctor mentioned a possible sleep study. I've tried muscle relaxers before, but they've done nothing to help. Actual sleep meds have scared me, so I've stayed away until now. I may need to rethink that, though, obviously.
I do hope that this answers your questions and you find treatment for your symptoms. Ess's comment about a sleep study is a very good suggestion.

However, just because you have an answer that isn't MS doesn't mean you can't pop back in here to say hello every once in a while and let us know how things are going.

I do wish you well and hope that you finally get treatment so that you can get on with your life.

Wishing you the best,
Ren