Multiple Sclerosis Community
Not sure what to think......lupus??

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Not sure what to think......lupus??

Hi everyone.  I got a call from a Dr. on call (mine had her baby) at about 9:30 Thurs. night.  I had a complete blood panel done about a week before.  He told me that everything came back normal....except the Lupus test.  His words were, "it came back somewhat positive" so they tested it again and the second time it also came back "somewhat positive".  I'm not sure what to think now.  I have an appt. in Jan. with a reumatologist (*sp) to find out why it came back that way.  I have to admit I am a little nervous.  I have been saying the past month that something was wrong....that I didn't feel right.  Ironically it was the same thing I said 3 months before I found out I have MS.  Maybe I should keep my mouth shut from now on.

Christina
I read your post and since I don't know much about Lupus (it is one of those things you don't read about unless it is important to you, much like MS)  anyway, I went to Lupus.org.  It appears to be a really informative website.  This is what I found under the testing module.  Maybe this is what he was talking about when he said "it came back somewhat positive".

Weakly positive ANA
The test can even be weakly positive in about 20 percent of healthy individuals. While a few of these healthy people may eventually develop lupus symptoms, the majority will never develop any signs of lupus or related conditions. The chances of a person having a positive ANA test increases as he or she ages.  From Lupus.org

It also went on to mention this can show up in ppl for several other reasons.  One of which was MS.  Try not to worry and be so nervous, it may be just one of those flukes that happen from time to time and I know this is easier said than done.  Just don't let it ruin the holidays for you.  I'll keep you in my prayers.  Stay in touch and let us know how it all turns out.  If you need to talk you know how to reach me.
It's weird really.  I know something is not right and I was really thinking it was another relapse.  I thought for sure my blood would come back completely clean and I could focus on my MS.  My Neuro is going to have me do another MRI because he thinks it might be just another episode because of all the pain I am in.  Thank you so much for looking that up for me!  I made me relax a little.  I am one of those people that has to know what's going on and when I don't it makes me anxious and fidgety (*sp).  I suppose that's another thing I should work on letting go........if I can.

Christina
hi there...did the Dr check for the Lupus antibodies as well as the ANA?  I have had a positive ANA for a few years, but then they check the antibodies and it comes back NEG..so they tell me no to Lupus...

do you know which tests they did?

keep us updated and try not to worry

wobbly
undx
I talked to my aunt who also has MS and she's a nurse so she eased my mind.  I really am not too worried about it.  I've done some reading and it doesn't seem to likely that it is Lupus.  Of course my life seems to take those turns....you know that addage, if it weren't for bad luck I would not have any at all....?  It seems that way anyway.  I am more concerned about the pain I am in and why I am in it.  I can't work full days anymore and when I get home all I can do is be still.  It's really putting a kink in my life.  

Christina