Multiple Sclerosis Community
Numb neck?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Numb neck?

I know people have had numb feet, legs, arms, pinkies etc. but I'm wondering if anyone has had a numb neck? My neck today is numb from just under the chin to the top of the collar bone, from the left side to the middle of the throat. I do have neck issues but have never had this and my neck is not troubling me anymore than usual and I have no pain or dizziness that would involve a pinched nerve. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if I'm just bizarre all on my own.lol

Weirded out
Moki
Hey girl...I am not sure if you are just bizarre on your own...hmmmm...seriously I don't know about this...I haven't experience a numb neck...is it like pins and needles or is it that when you touch it you can't feel it?  I get confused about these things cause I get pins and needles in my scalp and then I touch my left side of my face and really can't feel myself touching it so I call it numb...very confusing isn't it? hehe

Loveya
Rena
Hi Rena, I'm bizarre in so many ways,lol but hopefully I'm not alone in this. It's not pins or needles, I can't feel it when I touch it. It felt odd today, kind of like that novicane feeling from the dentist which is the reason I went to touch it and then couldn't feel the actual touch. I'm confused all the time so not to worry.lol

Oh loved your picture, looks like you really had yourself warped out by the company.hahaha

Love ya too
Hugs
Moki
Honey...you are no more bizarre than the rest of us and I don't think anyone can argue with that if they are being truly honest! hehe

That is exactly what the left side of my face feels like most of the time...like I have been to the dentist!  It is soooo bloody frustrating because if you look up Paratrigeminal Neuralgia, there is no indication of this sort of numbness so what the heck is causing it I would like to know but I never will until I find a REAL doctor will I?  I haven't heard of anyone complaining of this sort of numbness though but perhaps there is someone that knows something and if so I hope they respond!  I would like to know about this too and if you don't hear back from anyone, I would consider letting your doctor know about it ok?

Lots of Hugs,

rena
Baby Bear,

What you are describing can happen anywhere on your body.  It can happen out of the blue, like yours is.  It possibly signals a disruption in the nerve going to the face and neck.  Typical in someone with MS.

As you know, I have felt all along that you indeed have symptoms of MS, so when you describe this novacaine like feeling in your neck, it all makes sense to me.  I have had that in different places of my body from time to time, with permanent numbness in my right torso, for over 12 years.

It's unnerving to feel something like this when you cannot identify the cause.  As always, I have to tell you to let your doctor know if this continues.  It may also signal a lesion in the upper cervical spine.

Sorry I called you Miss Numb Neck in my intro - I hope you know that I am just being silly.  That happens more and more as I age.....

I love you Baby Bear.  Big Huggie Wuggies,
Heather- the Earth Mother
Hey, we could start our own web page "bizarre chicks.com".......ha..ha...ha...ha...

I have the numbness mostly in my legs from the knee down, but like Heather says, it happens in different places too.  Today it is down my back from the base of my neck down to past my shoulder blades.  I can't reach to touch it, it just feels numb when I move....I know....bizarre.....okay......

Love you gals!!
doni
Rena, once again thank you for being here for me. You are such a doll. No doc as of yet to tell though.

Heather, Miss Numb Neck I am and you know I've got a great warped sense of humor so I did enjoy it. lol  So I'm not totally bizzarro? Well mostly okay, but not in this sense.lol Thanks for letting me know that this may be "normal". I'll add it to my time line and will let the dufus neuro know when I see her at the end of Oct. I love you too Earth Mother!!

Huggie Wuggies
Baby Bear
Darn, just wrote you a reply and it cyberspaced away on me.lol

You must have been posting at the same time as I was doing Heather and Rena.lol

I love your web site idea, I think I'd fit in there perfectly.lol

Thanks for sharing with me doni, you and Heather have made me feel a lot better. I was getting really weirded out over this. You gals rock!!

Hugs
Bizarro Chic
Hey Chic-ee

Well thank you very much for the laugh ...  Numb Neck .. ( Heather you beat me to it )..   I was going to suggest a new handle for you .. We all have a  pretty odd sense of humor.. Does this mean a new sx. to be looked at ?

I have numbness like Doni , below the knees all the time and intermittently in forearms or hands, one at a time .    It does say something that yours falls mid line . MS usually affects one side or the other with face issues, not typically both at once. Is it affecting your swallowing or breathing or talking ?

If it bothers you, you can always go see the ER guy on Wed.  :) :)  (hint)

Happy trails in Bizzaro World

Jo
I've had that Novocaine feeling all over at various times, including the right side of my face down the right side of my neck and all the way through my right torso.  The right- side face/neck/torso numbness came on last fall, along with the hodge podge of other symptoms that led to my dx last Oct.  The numbness cleared up a few weeks after 5 days of solu-medrol; many ofmy other symptoms have taken much longer to resolve.

That numbness feels weird, doesn't it?  Novocaine is the best way to describe it.  Feels kind of gross, but not painful or anything.

If the sensation spreads and becomes very uncomfortable, you could consider going to the ER.  I did not need to do so, as I was dealt with very quickly by my GP and an on-call neuro when my symptoms came on.  However, had my symptoms progressed and if I had to wait a long time for an appt, I would have gone to the ER.  One of my closest friends is a nurse, and this was her advice.  Diagnostics would definitely be expedited if you were actually admitted.  Inpatients are #1 priority for MRI's, LP, etc.  And if you needed steroids, you could get them.  

Not sure if this approach would make sense in your situation.  You are near Toronto, aren't you?  If so, St. Mike's ER would be a good doorstop to show up on.  Excellent neurology dept there.
Joda, glad to help in the laugh department. lol It's not affecting anything else thank goodness, just the numbness. It's more irritating more than anything and just feels plain weird. I've had this in my face before and have had a numb foot but never my neck. It's a really weird sensation. As for the "hint" I already talked to the pharmacist in town to let me know when the "good" doc is in, apparently he isn't doing regular Wednesday's anymore. He said he would call and let me know.

double, finally someone who knows what I'm talking about. I was getting worried that I was the only one who had it in the neck!! So far it's only the neck and hopefully it won't last. St. Mike's is where I am going to see the MS specialist. It's a 3 hour drive so not really doable unless I have no choice.  It is a really weird feeling though but so far not anything I can't handle.

Hugs
Bizarro Moki
If people can have numbnuts, they can have numb necks.

Any part of the body with sensation of any sort can have that sensation altered (paresthesias) or blocked (actual numbness).

Quizzle
LOL!  

I'm sorry that I'm laughing at the numbness discussion, but the thoughts of bizarre numb chicks and numbnuts has sent me over the edge...LOL....So deserving of a bump up.

Seriously though, the neck probs drive me nuts too.  Mine goes from tight, to feeling like someone is pushing on the throat, to feeling like my head is getting jammed into my neck, numbness feeling (but not the skin-weird) etc... Enough to make you crazy for sure.  When did it start? And, you've jotted it down right?

ttys,
Shell