Multiple Sclerosis Community
Numbness/Weakness on right side of body

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Numbness/Weakness on right side of body

I am new to this, so please bear with me.  I am a 30 year old female.  For the past three years, I have had two very odd symptoms.  One started shortly after my third child was born.  I thought I had mastitis.  It lasted for 3 days, but the doctor said it wasn't.  It felt like a truck had hit me.  I would have this extreme numbness and sometimes twitching in my right arm and leg.  I was actually unable to stand. I was so tired, I felt like I had the flu.  Now, whenever I get extremely hot from being outside on a very hot day and exerting myself, or taking a hot shower, or especially when I have a fever, I get these same symptoms.  Also, on several occassions I have actually lost the majority of my eyesight for hours at a time.  I can still see partially, but it is nearly impossible to function.  Now, I am going back to play basketball for a rec team and I am having the numbness and tingling all of the time during the games and practices.  Especially when I get overheated.  I have had all of the blood tests done and the only answer I keep getting is to try an anti depressant.  I don't feel depressed and my husband doesn't think that I am, but I am starting to think that I am crazy.   I was wondering if these symptoms are any that people with MS suffer with?  It seems to be the one thing that all of my friends keep telling me to have checked on, but my doctor has never mentioned it and I don't want to self diagnose myself and make them think that I am a hypocondriac.  
Thanks for any of your advice.
Hi there!

I am also new to this whole process of trying to find an actual diagnosis, and I do feel for you.  There are others here who could help you more, but I can at least hand out some basics.  

What were the blood tests have you had?  Have you had an MRI?

You’re not crazy!!!  I also was told I needed an antidepressant when this all started 6 years ago.  It is infuriating when someone who really doesn’t know you, determine you are depressed.  It’s good you have a supportive husband who agrees that you are not depressed.

Your symptoms could be many things, and it will take time to figure it out, but hopefully you’ll get and answer soon.  

My own personal advice is, if your doctor doesn’t take the time to talk with you and listen to you, find a new one.

Good luck to you!

Thank you so much for your response.  I haven't had an MRI.  I have been tested for rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus, thyroid, anemia, and so many more I can't think of them all.  Most of the autoimmune ones.  I have seen a neuroligist once who gave me a shot of B 12 which seemed to help with the fatigue, but he was the one who suggested the antidepressant so I haven't been back. He thought it was a certain disorder, but it turned out not to be. AFter that, he pretty much scratched his head and acted like it was a mystery.   I thought maybe I was out of shape, so  I decided to play basketball again,but I never know when it is going to come and cause my arm or leg to go numb.  I even sprained my ankle for the first time after my leg went numb under me.  Noone even near me.  
Thanks again and Goodluck to you too!!
Keep checking back...I'm sure you will get some good advice.
Hi, NO, you absolutely aren't crazy.  We need to start a Greek House and call it Hypo Gama Chondria or something.  Then all of us who feel like we're going crazy, have been told we've gone crazy or think we might someday be crazy can have our own club - co-ed of course.

I suspect the emphasis on the autoimmune workup was for the persistent fatigue, that is a hallmark of inflammatory diseases.  MS is both an inflammatory and an autoimmune disorder, but does not cause arthritis.

The onset of your first symptoms right after giving birth is very common in MS and in autoimmune diseases in general.  The return of your symptoms with overheating is characteristic of dymyelinating disorders, of which MS is the most common and you are female and in the most common age group.

I have to say that I am not a neuro and that you can't be diagnosed online, but you are here on an MS support site and I'll talk about your problems in that light.  People know intuitively that they are depressed or anxious and, I find, pretty freely admit it.  I don't find your post at all anxious.  And spouse are often good barometers.

It is also not usual to have initial symptoms and then not have new ones pop up for many years.  I've heard people say even 20 years.  Lynn, I think, had some very characteristic symptoms and nothing for another 7 years.

At this point is makes a lot of sense to get evaluated.  See (another) neurologist for a thorough neuro exam.  An MRI of your brain, C-spine and T-spine with and without contrast is definitely in order.  Depending on when the B12 shot was that level whould be repeated as well as a search for other causes of neuropathy.

That would be the beginning.  Since these symptoms have remained pretty constant in terms of location when they do appear, I would pursue it thoroughly.

Is the fatigue recurrent like the sensations?  Or is it frequent or recurring?

Stay with us and we'll walk you through everything.

Quix
Quix-
Thank you so much for your supportive email.  It helps to have an opinion from you as you seem very educated on the subject!  Thank you so much for taking the time to write back!  I am waiting to get reinsured with my husband.  He was a first year teacher and so things were tight this past year, but things are much better and in September I will be insured again.  Looking at everyone's  posts, most have had MRI's and it seems to be the standard for finding more answers.  
Extreme fatigue, like the kind I had after the birth of my third has occured only twice.  It lasted one time for over a month which is when I was first referred onto a neuroligist.  The heat sensitivity happens quiet frequently and can be from a fever and alot of times heavy exercising.   If I stop exercising even for a few minute it goes away.  When I have a fever, it has only been under 100 degrees and yet my legs and arms feel painfully stiff and most of the time I can't stand without help or falling down.  they are shaky and numb.  That usually lasts until the fever is gone and alot of times I am left with the fatigue for days after.  The lack of vision is so weird becuase it is only partially gone, but it is bad enough that from 5 feet away I can't tell who is in front of me unless I turn my head to look at them with my peripheral vision.  I thought that it was migraines with aura, but I don't really get a headache.  After so long of attempting to strain to see things I can feel my head starting to throb, but I just go to a dark room and sleep.  Sometimes, I am very fatigued for days after one of these and if I move my eyes too quickly for a day or two after,   it is painful and will cause my vision to be blurry again.    All of these, have been small enough that they only affect my life for a couple of days and then I go months without anything except the heat related stuff.  Heat sensitivity gets me the most and is pretty predictable when I get a fever or excercise.   Thanks so much again for answering my quetions!  I know that it takes time, and I really do appreciate it!!!
Mom of 3