Multiple Sclerosis Community
Numbness and burning in sacral/lumbar region of back

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hi since my relapse started late November i have had this awful burning, crushing numb sensation in my lower back - has anyone else experienced this and what helped?

Hot baths help but only for an hour or so.
Please don't take hot baths! That's the worst possible thing for MS patients, since raising your core temp can bring on serious symptoms which occasionally are permanent.

Ask your doctor for something for nerve pain. Neurontin and Lyrica are the most often prescribed.

I really wish British policy allowed you to get one of the DMDs. Mild MS is pretty much a misnomer, in the opinion of many here. Awful, burning pain is not mild.

The best of luck to you as you get through this phase. I hope you'll visit here often for info, friendship and support.

ess
I experience exactly what you're describing, gheko.  I take Neurontin/Gabapentin at 1800 mg. per day, but it doesn't seem to help much.  I often feel like I'm sitting in a vat of hot battery acid and this becomes a problem particularly when lying down because I have too much pain in my left shoulder to lie on it, too much pain in my right hip to lie on it, and then on my back, there is the burning, scalding pain that feels like the skin is being peeled off and the tailbone is being crushed.  It is difficult to stand for even a few minutes because everything in the lower back and right hip and leg goes numb.  You are definitely not alone and what you are experiencing is in my opinion, definitely a sx of MS.  Did I read elsewhere that you are not dx'd with MS yet?  I agree with esspidity--don't take hot baths!  It may feel good for a minute, but that minute passes and it could be potentially harmful.  I hope you get some relief soon.  I wish I knew what to suggest.  If I find something that works for me, I'll sure let you know.  jo