Multiple Sclerosis Community
OCT SCAN EYES 5 MINS

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

OCT SCAN EYES 5 MINS

Hello to all that kinda know of me, somebody pointed out an article in todays newspaper about ms and being able to diagnose ms from looking in to the eyes and doing an oct scan for only 5 minutes whatever an oct scan is i have no idea something to do with looking at the different layers and nerve fibres in behind the eyes, apparently this only takes 5 mins and can give a diagnosis so that they can get you on to treatment straight away without delay, this is in america by the way and i live in england

does anyone know much about this and is it really that easy and quickly done, how efficient is this in a diagnosis and would it always be able to detect the disease, please get back if you have any info

thanks David.  
This is something that is in the trial stages over here in the US and is not practiced as a proven method for diagnosing MS, at this point in time.  We are all hoping that this will be a faster way for all those people in limbo land, to finally get some of the answers they seek.

I really do not see it as a definite and only way to ever diagnose MS.  It will always, I feel, depend on the physical exam, periods of relapses and remissions and what is found on MRI and Lumbar Puncture .  This OCT scan will just be a part of the diagnosing process, I am afraid.  I wish I felt more optimistic about it, but I don't.

Hope you are feeling better.....Heather
As best I understand it, this scan is NOT for diagnosis. It's for monitoring disease progression once an MS diagnosis has been established. I don't know the details, but Googling something like 'optical scan MS Johns Hopkins Calabresi' should bring up more info. Calabresi is the Hopkins doctor who has developed this test.

ess
The test is just entering a 3-year testing period for evaluating it's use in both diagnosis and monitoring of disease.  It does look promising, but it's probably 5 to 7 years away from being available to us.

As far as diagnosis, Essie is right, it will not be able to provide a definitive Yes/No answer, but it will likely be one of those supportive tests like the EPs or the LP that will help lead more quickly to a decision to start Disease Modifying Meds.

Quix
Yes, I mentioned a little about this months ago.  I agree with essdipity and Quix.  

Also, as it is much less costly than MRI, somewhat less time-consuming, and supposedly very sensitive, it is may prove itself to be a more cost-effective scientific method to better monitor some visual problems that may or may not be showing on the MRI.  I have seen this test performed on many individuals who needed this test and it is indeed relatively simple and takes little time..  So, it will very possibly be a healthful adjunct to MS diagnosis and treatment.

Thank you for the interesting post!
I am pretty sure I had this test when I went to my eye doctor with my optic neuritis. This was before it was diagnosed and they didn't know what was going wrong with me. All my tests came back normal except for my MRI.
Welcome!  You have many friends here in WA.  Why don't you start a new thread on the main page and tell us about yourself!

Needs - Yes you did mention this, and I apreciated it.  Yours was the first I had heard of it and I learned a lot.  It would certainly be cheaper, quicker and more healthful.  We end up recylcing a lot of topics because of the constant influx of members, but each discussion becomes more complete and with better info.  It's great.

Quix