OT back barely
Well my trip from hell is over, Got back about noon today.  

Dave and I started the trip to Oregon on the 2nd of April and almost from the start things didn't look very good. In the past gas prices have fallen once I have gotten out of TN, but not this time, they were actually higher than at home. But on the good side we were getting better gas mailage than we expected. We had figured on getting about 35 MPG, but were getting 37 MPG.

We noticed also that as we gained altitude we were both having a harder time breathing. By the time we got to the highest pass on I 80 we were both feeling light headed (dave was near passing out) and our lips and finger nails were turning blue asl well as our lungs acheing. Makes me really glad that I hadn't decided to fly as the cabin pressure in planes are kept at about that same altitude and I would have been suffering for a lot longer during the flight. If that wasn't enough we also hit a couple of areas were there was near white out conditions. It wasn't snowing, just being inside of clouds with high winds had snow blowing across the road really bad. Visability was down to10 or 15 feet at most.

But we finally made it to my brothers on Sunday and I was able to spend some time with her. She died on April 8th at 12:45 AM in her sleep.

During the time there Dave and I were still having trouble breathing at my brothers (he lives on a mountain at an altitude of 2134 ft.). We even had some trouble when in the valley (alt. 1213). So I guess I won't be going saoring or anything like that. Where I live (Alt. 879) is probably pretty close to my altitude limits. Since the funeral was not going to be until this coming Sunday and the breathing problems Dave and I headed home last Friday. We took the southern route in an effort to ease our breathing problems (which it did) but it still took quite a toll on us both. This will be my last trip out to Oregon unless I get on some kind of O2 therapy.

Dennis
So sorry to hear about your mum, very sad, i'm glad you did get to see her though having a nightmare of a time doing so.

Take care!

JJ
Dennis, this is a trip you won't regret having made, even with the discomfort and the price of gas.  I'm so thankful you were able to see you mom before she passed.  My sympathy to you and your family - regardless of the circumstances it is always hard to lose someone.

Welcome home,
Lulu
Sorry you lost your mom but getting the chance to say good bye is priceless.  Hold that close when you feel sad.  Eventually the good memories begin to outweigh the grief of loss, even though you think it never will.  I know this from experience and i am grateful to have said good bye.

take care and I am glad you made it back ok.

terry
My condolences on your loss. But what a blessing you were able to spend some time with your mom. You will treasure those memories in the future, and be able to look back with joy.

Sorry your driving was so miserable. I hope you will be feeling better soon.

Peace
Maggie
Ditto on all of the above, brother.

We pray that the Lord comforts your entire family as only He can.

We're here if you need us.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you had a chance to say goodbye, and I hope it gives you some small bit of comfort. ((hugs))

~Jess