Multiple Sclerosis Community
Ocular Migraines?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Ocular Migraines?

I'm in the middle of my 2nd ocular migraine of the day.  Just wondering if anyone else gets these and at with what frequency?  Is there a relationship to MS?

Katie
Hi Katie, YES if get them all the time.   it is especially bad when the weather is changing, or if i have had an extrenely stressful day.  it can also be related to hormones, period time, and pregnancy, and menopause.  i am sorry to say that i am on the latter, but it is a good thing, and hoping for me it will maybe be the end.

so, hang in there.   when i get the wavy lines, and tingling and numbness on the face, i take my medicine, and have a cup of tea/coffee.  for some reaslon it seems to help with the severity.   the caffeine dialites the blood vessels in the brain, and it does help me someetimes.   but doesn't work for everyone.... you kind of have to figure out what works for you, and what triggers yours.   red wine, chocolate , stress, and hormones were  alot of my triggers.... it tiolok years to figure that out, and alot of trial and error.

i wish you the best, and good luck with your trial and error.

take care, and try to keep smiling,
candy
Oh yeah! I woke up this morning started to go the bathroom to throw up ended up hugging the floor while my husband got me a cold wash cloth and when my stomach was steady my migraine medicine. I put my head in hot water and went back to bed. When I woke up I was blind in the left eye and light hitting feels like an ice pick. I grabbed my eye patch which help me a lot.

I lost today. I was supposed to go horseback riding.

I get headaches all the time with barometric pressure. I only get 9  migraine pills a month so I cut them in threes and usually take them with the beginning of symptoms. Unfortunately today the headache came in the middle of the night. Today was a whole pill day.

February was the last time I had one this bad and I threw up for eight hours straight. It was during a week end blizzard so I could not get to the ER if I wanted to. I could not keep the medicine down.

I try to use hypnosis which is hard to leave my body. I tell myself it hurts like blazes but I am leaving in a hot air balloon.

I have been to all kinds of Doctors and tried all kinds of diets, anti seizure medication, I take two different ones daily. I know they say do not take immiterx too much because of rebound but I would not make it with out it.

My Neurologist thinks a placebo is just as good. He obviously has never had one of my migraines. The two weeks of LP head ache was nothing in comparison. I often wonder if I am having an anerysm. I often wish someone would shoot me. LOL.

I did not get diagnosed with Migraine until 2002 and I have had them since a small child. I thought having headaches that  last weeks,made you sick, made you blind, and knocked you to the ground were normal. I LOVE IMMITREX!

Alex
Goodness gracious!  I've never had a headache like that!  You must feel tortured.  How unbearable!  I guess I should consider myself lucky that my ocular migraines only cause a temporary (30 min to 1 hour) visual disturbance with a little residual foggy-headedness.  Take care and no more migraines for you!

K
I am normal today so far. I luckily have learned they do not last forever. Sometimes there is no pain and I lose vision in my left eye.

Alex
I lurk on this site no diagnosis of MS. I do however have both migraine and ocular migraine. My ocular migraines are just like yours they cause a temporary (30-45) minute visual disturbance, no residual fogginess, once they're over they're over. Once I had one when I was coming down from a migraine; however, for me I seem to get them independent of migraine headaches. The Neuro said that at least they're a lot shorter than migraine headaches. I also have a gastroenterologist who has ocular migraine and he was incredibly supportive. It's very frightening when they come on when you're in public, for example, in a department store, as my first one did, because you think you're having a stroke or detached retina. I've never had two in one day; I get them very infrequently (I've only had 4). I get migraine headaches far more often, especially since menopause. I don't know if there's a relationship between ocular migraine and MS -- I leave that to others on the forum to respond to.

take care, and try to keep smiling,
candy