Multiple Sclerosis Community
Only symptom is thoracic muscle spasm..??

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Did anyone else have only muscle spasms as their first symptom? I just posted on the doctor forum with a question because I disagree with my neuro and the response I got from ShivKumarMD has kinda got me worried.  Basically my only symptom has been really bad thoracic muscle spasms (trap, scalenes,rhomboid) primarily on my left side.  They started last Jan -- lasted until May and until my gp finally prescribed baclofen. Then life went back to normal.... I started daily injections of Copaxone and life was good until this Jan when I was rear ended and the spasms came back but now baclofen isn't working.  My nero says that the spasms are NOT ms but that I do have it because of active lesions and additional lesions from 2 separate MRIs.  What has me worried is that the online neuro confirmed my suspicion that my cervical and thoracic lesions were likely causing the spasms however he said that spasms are not normally the initial symptoms... Do I have something else wrong with me? I have had no other MS related symptom...just these darn spasms that I can't get rid of!! They are so bad that they have been pulling my spine out of alignment causing some ribs to subluxate...anyone else only have spasms? Now I don't know what to think!
Jasper389
Dont forget that MS is unique to each individual, so the most common first sx is visual, closely followed by numbness but that doesn't mean spasms can't be your first 'recognised' sx of MS. I've read some resent studies on cognitive sx of MS and that being under reported in the early stages and that cognitive changes may equally be one of the first sx. I dont even think muscle spasms in MS has even been researched much, there's not even a clear concensus on what causes muscle spasms in the general public, so i can't even really give you any stats to go by.

I'm not really sure what your neuro is talking about, was he saying 1) that spams are not a sx of MS or 2) that the spasms your having since the accident wern't caused by your MS? I suppose from my way of thinking it doesn't really make much of a difference, 1 is totally wrong and 2 if he did find another explanation apart from your MS, then that could be right. If there isn't anything else to explain them, then I dont see how anyone can really know for sure when spinal lesions cause spasms, spasticity, foot drop, numbness, blader malfunctions etc etc etc.

I have issues with muscle spasms, though only my intercostal muscle hurt and cause me trouble, my legs both spasm now, lol from use so that makes things interesting. I've only found heat packs calm my ribs down, laying down helps take the pressure off the skeletal frame so that helps calm them dwon for a while, oh and stretching through out the day, sort of an adapted form of yoga. Not much has helped me stop them though, reduce i'll say but not stopped, sorry.

Cheers............JJ

PS for what its worth, I dont really think there's something else going on.

My first symtom was fatigue but what sent me to the doctor were the spasms that developed.  Initially they were just in my arms and legs but became generalized at almost seizure like activity.  I was immediately worked up for MS.  My MR was positive with multiple lesions.  I take Clonopine 3 times a day to control it.  I also have spasms of my trachea when I'm lying flat.  That's pretty scary!  Good luck!