Open MRI-------3T
I need a CT scan unrelated to MS, so I called to make an appointment with a huge chain of imaging centers near here. During the inevitable long wait on hold, I heard over and over their canned ad, including an announcement about a new 3T MRI machine, *open*. I've never heard of this! Have any of you?

This is not something I personally would use, because my claustrophobia is very minimal, and I've had many MRIs in closed machines, so I'm used to them. Also, there is a big advantage in continuing to be tested at the same location with the same machine(s) so that good comparisons can be made. Finally, at a general MRI center, there is no guarantee that the radiologist will be particularly knowledgeable about MS. So I'm sticking with the Hopkins 3T facilities.

But for those with crippling claustrophobia or very high weight, this could be quite a good option, especially if they are just starting out on the diagnostic journey.

ess
Interesting.   All the "open" machines I hear of are 0.7 to 1.0.  It would be interesting to know if there are any side-by-side comparisons of image quality from open vs. closed machines of the same Tesla rating.
Very interesting indeed. I  thought quality was an issue with open.

Did have one once on an open bore 1.5, which I understood to be "semi" open. I go to my happy place in the closed, so don't really have a problem with the tube either - but on that occassion, the doctors office had purchased their own, so I went with it.  

Nice to know there is now strength options now for those who cannot be in the tube for one reason or another.

I'm like you Shell. I've been known to nod off in the tube :-) My doc has two of his own now as well. They're closed 3T machines. They seem to be a little more spacious than the older 1.5T tubes I've been in.

Kyle
A MS Specialist giving a talk says "No" to open MRIs for MS she says they are not as good.