Multiple Sclerosis Community
Ophthamology appt

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Ophthamology appt

I broke down after about 8 weeks and went to my PCP this week about eye symptoms I've been having during that time. I first went to an optometrist, thinking, "Well, I've turned 40, must need glasses." But no...vision is 20-20, both eyes.

PCP just referred me, so we'll see. When I made the appt and described the symptoms, the appt person seemed confused. So...I'm wondering if any of this seems familiar or if anyone has input on them.

Black text desaturates to grey (and sometimes navy blue!) when I'm reading, either a book or paper or on the computer. Sometimes happens pretty soon after I start, sometimes kicks in after awhile. It's spotty...not all the text in my field of vision does it, just areas of text that seem vertical. And when I cover my left eye, I've got some kind of shadow or something over the corner vision of my right eye. That probably doesn't make sense, but it's like a cloud over the sun in that part of my vision.

As far as I can tell, my red and green color vision is fine.

Any input? Hope everyone is doing well. I see quite a few people either finally getting dx'd or very close. I'm going to say "Congratulations," only because I *know* how important it is to just *know* it's not in your head, it's not some other differential diagnosis that doesn't fit your symptoms, and that now you merit DMDs that might make things better.

Bio
Hmm... I've heard of people having desaturation in other colors, but I've never experienced it.  It does sound like optic neuritis - symptoms include clouded or grayed out vision, as well as color change and desaturation.
I'm not sure this helps you at all as I have not yet been diagnosed with ON but my eye specialist thinks it is neurological. I don't get the color change like you but I do have the shadow in the corner of my left eye. On good days it has a more mesh like appearance when I try to look out that way. The eye doc did say that if it is ON, it is further back than where he can see. I have had the EP done almost 2 weeks ago but am still waiting to hear back. I'm curious to see what the VEP says. I'll let you know.

Wishing you well
Moki
Thanks, jen and moki. I don't have ANY pain at all in my eyes, and I think I see red and green just fine, so I'm skeptical that it's anything but *getting older.* I keep coming up with things that look like zebra stripes, but apparently, they don't actually add up to "zebra." I'm so confused about what's going on, but I guess anyone who's not diagnosed with *something* after all of this would be. I've got two new paresthesia spots in my left leg, and I'm just trying to ignore them. My PCP read to me yesterday from my third neuro's notes; that neuro, who's a good guy, too, thinks that it's possible I had an episode of transverse myelitis that "resolved"? I like that neuro, but I'm not sure how something has "resolved" if the symptoms never go away and I get new ones every once in awhile.

Sorry. /rant.

Bio
Bio

I know how frustrating this can all be. I have a lot of visual stuff happening and yet have no answers for them .  Probably neuros are chalking it up to possible MS , but say nothing .  Guess I'll have to go back to original ophtho I saw last yr. Or try to find a really good specialist  

I don't know what your sx. mean but it  sounds like something is definitely amiss and it may bring you closer to dx.. The more things a doc can see on a test the better , sad but true. So good luck.

I too have just developed new parasthesia spot on r. leg , which has never been involved before . It is a freaky feeling , not knowing if this is the start of something bigger. My other two episodes began in July of 06 and July 07 ...  oh my.
Think this could be related to summer heat ?

I hope you get some answers very soon ,    As always rant away ..    We should create a rant cheer..    

Jo

Bio

PS   This is good for a laugh .   so you want to talk about confusion ?   I had written you a nice long paragraph on an article I had found on seeing  'zebra' stripes  and was going to go and find it for you,   fortunately I came to my senses and realized you were talking about it in the context of doctors looking for zebras or horses. ?   Oh God ,   I'm o.k. really

:)     Jo
(Ok, play some circus music, I thought I replied to this but it never showed up so I probably hit the wrong button somewhere!  Genius!)

Just a note that I'm glad you're seeing the opthamologist, but also wanted to state that they can not always explain changes in vision.  Of course they can look at your retinas and lots of the eyeball anatomy and it sounds like a good idea to have that all checked out.  But they can't see all of the optic nerve by looking in.

I went to an optha with pain and flashing in both eyes (made worse by movement) and mild double vision, and she could not tell me why those things were happening. All she could tell is that my eyes are bloodshot and the capillaries around the optic nerve also look bloodshot.  I had "hoped" to actually have her find a problem, as I know you can understand, since my vision is just the tip of the iceberg of my symptoms, so I was surprised she couldn't help me more.  Just sharing this since you may experience something similar.
I'm see a neuro-optha Thurs and will surely post about how that goes, and if I learn more there than from the optha.
But please do still go, if nothing else its a good thing to have a baseline of your eye health!
Thanks, everyone. I got hit right in the eye yesterday with a blinding glare from the sun--I usually try to avoid direct sunlight the way an owl avoids the day--and it made something in my eye just hurt like hell for several minutes, and then that went away. I do think I've got something wrong with my eye(s). We'll see.

Bio