Multiple Sclerosis Community
Optic Neuritis

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Optic Neuritis

Hi friends,

I hope you all are having a nice, relaxing weekend.

I know none of us are experts. For the last two days my vision has been very wonky again.

I looked on my MRI done last fall, and it looks as though I may have had ON, which may be why my Ophthalmologist recommended my neurologist work me up for MS and MG. Anyway, was looking at the MRI scans from that time, and it looks like I may have had ON. I know there are some of you out there who have had it.

I posted some pictures in my profile  Does that look like ON to you? I am seriously considering calling my neurologist Monday because this could possibly be a second incident. It is quite scary.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

Hugs,
Minnie
Shucks, Min, I can't tell.  Nobody ever told me I had ON, although it's felt like what I'd expect such a thing to feel like, and I've had axial MRI shots that looked like the one you posted there.  I can really only tell you that your nostrils are straighter than mine!

We pray for the best for you, anyway!
Lol, that is hilarious! Haha, straight nostrils! I never thought of looking at my MRI for ON, but some of the pictures I saw look like mine!

This is so weird and scary. I am scheduled to see an MS Specialist on March 27th and I was told to bring all of my test results and MRI scans, and that my appointment will last approximately two hours.

I'm just a bit freaked because my vision is waaaaay off today. Thank God I don't have to work tomorrow!

Thank you so much for reading and writing back,
Hugs, Minnie
What do you mean when you say that your vision is 'wonky'?  Are your symptoms consistent with ON?  eg: blurry/cloudy vision in one eye, pain with eye movement, etc.  When you say you think you had it previously, did you actually have ON symptoms then, or are you thinking this because you think your MRI is showing that?  

I looked at your pictures but have no clue what ON would look like on MRI.  I don't even recognize my brain and spinal cord lesions on my own MRI that I know are there.  Ive had ON, dx'ed based on symptoms.  Dont know if it would have been visible on MRI as i didnt have one done at the time.  Be careful about trying to interpret your own pictures.......radiologists go to school for a long time to learn those skills......

In any event, you ought to call your neurologist if you believe you're currently having an episode.

Hope it's not that but if so, hopefully you can be seen and treated promptly.
Thank you. I don't know what it was this past Summer, but my left eye hurt, not agonizing, but it hurt to move. My vision suddenly went bad, I started seeing double and ghosting, and lights were the worst.

I called the neurologist and he said to go see an Ophthalmologist, who sent back a report to the neurologist to evaluate me for Multiple Sclerosis and Myasthenia Gravis. I don't know if I had ON or not. The report said convergence insufficiency and refractive diplopia.

I wear glasses now and am supposed to follow up with the Opthalmologist.

Neither of my eyes is really hurting now, but it feels like my left eyeball needs to be stretched.

Thank you again for reading and writing back,

Hugs Minnie
I am very sorry, I didn't answer your symptoms questions.

It overall looks as though I am looking through a wet windshield. If I cover my right eye, things look blurry, and if I cover my left, things look blurry and double.

I actually stumbled on a picture online when looking for something else that showed the MRI of a person with ON and I thought, "That looks familiar!"

Two of the images I posted are with contrast and it looks like they were enhancing. Perhaps I am completely barking up the wrong tree yet if that is what my MRI shows and the sudden bad vision was one of my main symptoms, that is a big oopsie on someone's part.

Hugs Minnie
Oh, I do apologize yet again, but wanted to add that the glasses help somewhat. Some days they help more than others. I think their purpose may be more for the Convergence Insufficiency and refractive diplopia conditions. Just my theory though.

Thank you,
Minnie