Multiple Sclerosis Community
Optic Neuritis length?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Optic Neuritis length?

I was diagnosed with optic neuritis back in January.  I had almost total vision lost. The way it seemed was that I could see, but it was like someone took an eraser and erased large portions of my vision, and of course colors looked bleached. It has been almost 7 months with no change or improvement.  Optic Neurologist told me it would be back in 3-4 months. I'm starting to get worried. My MRI was normal, and the doctor said at my age (41) with a normal MRI that my chance of MS is very low. I'm worried about my vision though. Anyone know the amount time it takes to get the vision back? Am I doomed to be blind in one eye forever? And are my chances really actually low for MS?
REALLY NERVOUS!!
Hi Suny,

Welcome!!!  It is true what they said.

I'm in limboland with my 1st Neuro diagnosing Optic Neuritis and tests coming back so far inconclusive or negative. My vision symptoms were classic ON except I did not lose my vision. I am not sure which eye I had ON in as both eyes are symptomatic with slightly different symptoms. After 8 months, I still have symptoms but they are slowly SLOWLY getting better. Some are staying without change and I think it's permanent. I have read that sometimes it can take up to a year. I don't think anyone can really say. I'm sorry.

I'd like to share a little story about my surgery. I had a splenectomy when I was 20. They informed me that part of my stomach would have nerve damage and would be slightly numb permanently. Over a year of so, I began to slowly notice that I could feel in that area again. I do have some small areas that have decreased sensation but for the most part my body figured out a way to regenerate itself. Pretty amazing!! I hope that is the case without our vision. I really do.

I am in limboland right now. My MRI came back negative as well. My MSologist stated the chances are very low with a negative MRI on a single episode of ON so I understand your nerves. The percentages I was given was somewhere between 30% and 50% with a single episode. I had a multifocal "attack" meaning that it hit several areas at once. My recent MRI was negative as well but I haven't seen my doctor who may opt to say "yeah, I saw some things I don't like" which she did before. Plus, I have another VEP (which confirms ON) this Wednesday since my first VEP was, as my doctor put it, "screwy."

If you check out the health pages at the top right part of the screen there is some really good information for your information.  
My neuro-ophthalmologist said I'd have issues for 6-9 months.  After that, I should expect little improvement.  About 10 months after the first attack, I got hit again in the same eye.  I have damage to the right optic nerve and it appears that I have damage to the left optic tract (by MRI and VEP.)

Bob

Oh my goodness to both of you, and thank you for your replies...this week I am especially nervous as I have been having severe headaches on that side of my head where the ON is...this morning my feet are tingling bad.  I'm nervous and trying to ignore so that I don't develop psychosomatic symptoms from worry!! LOL...My fatigue level is intense, but I am also in graduate school so I am not sure the root cause there.  I will keep checking back here to see what people post, and I appreciate your help!!
Suny