Multiple Sclerosis Community
Optic Neuritis question

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Optic Neuritis question

Back in November I had vision problems in my right eye, pain upon movement and pain when I touched my eye.  I also had a very, very slight issue with colour. It only lasted a couple of days.  I was diagnosed with optic neuritis although my VEP was normal.  In December I had a similar occurence.  Now I've noticed that my peripheral vision is blurry in my right eye from time to time.  Would this be optic neuritis?  I seem to have a headche when I have the blurriness.  Any thoughts would be welcome.
I wish I could help you - I have a lot of ON symptoms but with two VEP tests coming back negative I am not sure I'll know ON if I had it.

I'm in the middle of having constant decreased visual acuity, moderate pain in and surrounding my eye, visual dimming and slight color saturation issues as well....I also have a bloodshot appearance. I've had these before and no ON (no latency but amplitude abnormalities.)

My eye pain appears to have been atypical TN (another cranial nerve) so I am not thinking one way or the other. My Neuro-Ophth gave me instructions of when to notify her so I called her due to the significant decrease in my acuity. She will call me back tomorrow when she's back in the office.

I know this isn't urgent...unless I go blind.
Have you had a visual field study done?  It's the one where you sit with your chin in the infamous chin cup (how many of those does it take to build an eye care practice anyway)...  sorry.... anyway, you look straight ahead while lights flash randomly in the near and far peripheray at all angles.

If you've been having eye symptoms it's probably a good test to have on record to reference your baseline normal.  Not to mention it will show straight off if there is an existing problem.

Can you set up an appointment with a neuro-ophthalmologist (or at least the minimally licensed eye professional who can perform this test)?

My other side thought is the possiblility of optic migraines.  They can distort vision for brief periods of time.  I don't have pain afterwards but some people do.

Hope that helps a little.
Mary
Hummm, seems I had a couple of extra 'a' and 'l' letters lying around and decided now was the time to use them.  No matter where I leave them they never seem to fit in.  Did make a fairly decent presentation here though without muffing things up too much :)

Mary
Thanks Mary.  I did have the visual field study done in November and have another test set for March.

I was wondering too about the optic migraines... I will ask the neurologist about that!