Multiple Sclerosis Community
Oral methylprednisolone

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Oral methylprednisolone

My neuro has given me oral methylprednisolone in tablet form to take in case of a relapse. I have requested for the tablets as I live in a third-world country and to get the IV medrol is not always accessible.

Here is my dilemma:

Each tablet is 16mg. If I get an acute relapse, I need to take 500mg per day for 5 days. This means that I will have to take approximately 31 tablets per day for 5 days (then taper down). My neudo says that taking these amount of tablets is OK, but how would you recommend that I take them?

a) all together at once?
b) in batches throughout the day?
c) what time of day is best to take them?

Alhough my neuro has suggested to take them in the morning over 2-3 hours, I wanted to know hat you all think about this.

Any help/suggestions are helpful. Thanks.
I take oral prednisone (not sure if its same as what you have) although mine come in 25mg and 5mg so I can taper the dose easily. I dont know how I would having to take that many in a day but I can tell you they are very bitter so only take as many as you can easily wash down with water... if they so much as touch your tongue its foul and takes ages to get rid of the taste.
I just finished a 5 day dose of MethylPrednisolone.They were only 4 mg.I was instructed to take 4 at once when I had the prescription filled.That left 3 for bedtime.

The next morning,I was to take 1 before breakfast;then 1 after lunch and 1 after dinner.Two at bedtime.The next day it was 1 before breakfast,1 after lunch,1 after dinner.Fourth day,1 before breakfast,1 at bedtime.Fifth day,1 before breakfast.

I wasn't taking it for MS though.If in doubt as to how you should take it,you should talk to your doctor.It helps to take it with food,though,because of it's bitterness.
There is all sorts of great information about this one the NMSS Website.
I believe you need to take all of the pills over a relatively short period of time - maybe within an hour or two but can't swear to that.  Would yo ube able to contact your neuro to clarify the instructions?

Many people have stomach pain with the large doses of prednisone - I know I do have sharp pains with it, but I also have GERDS. It is recommended you take these pills with milk or with food.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/about-multiple-sclerosis/what-we-know-about-ms/treatments/medications/prednisone/index.aspx#

Good luck this - so glad your doctor is being proactive and letting you keep these handy, just in case!

Laura
Prednisone and prednisolone are variations on a theme. The liver turns prednisone into prednisolone. Many docs figure you might as well save a step and prescribe prednisolone.

Kyle
I was on steroids for a different illness. I had to take 10 pills.  The pharmacist instructed me to take them all at once, because that was my dose and it was not supposed to be divided in the day or the dose would not be as strong as it was supposed to be.  I would ask the pharmacist.
I have been on oral methylprednisolone several times and my neuro's and pharmist's instructions were to take them at the same time as that is the dose prescribed.

As mentioned by footsie do take thenm in batches so they do not dissolve on your tongue and leave that horrible bitter taste. I always took mine in the morning with food.

Hope this helps. but, the final say should come from your neuro.

Ren