Multiple Sclerosis Community
Overflow Incontinence, does anyone else have it?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Ok i am wondering if any body here is willing to admit if they have overflow incontinence. I am wondering this because i have been to a urologist and have had a full testing of my bladder and other things and was diagnosed with overflow incontinence. Which everything i have read says it's very rare in women, i don't have any blockages, tumors, cancer, and so they classified me with what is called a neurogenic bladder obviously caused by nerve damage from suspected MS. I also suffer from incontinence on the other end(you know what im talking about)i have talked to other people on this forum who discussed with me symptoms of Lyme Disease but i don't think that this kind of incontinence is associated with that or even in females in general from what i have read. If anybody can help me out that would be great.
I suggest you look it up if you don't know what overflow incontinence is or the different types.
*Also im sorry if this post offends anybody but im just trying to see if anyone else suffers from this.
hi,ill have to get back to you on that after i go check...take care ...deb
im not sure if thats what i have but i do have the dribbling after im done and i can sit there 10 minutes after im done and still do it and i have the leaking out...also the other aty times to...so thats all i know is that it is a nuisance....take care...deb
As I understand it, overflow incontinence is the result of a bladder that does not send out appropriate signals that it is full.  It eventually overfills and contracts without warning.  Do you lose the entire contents of your bladder or  have a near continuous dribble?

Did they measure your for a "residual volume" to see how much urine is left in the bladder after you have tried to void completely?

I have urge incontinence which is usually just dribbles, but recently I have had increasing episodes of complete loss of urine full volume.  I am VERY tired of mopping the floor.  All kinds of urinary dysfunction are common in MS, from retention (unable to empty), to sphincter spasm (unable to empty fully, or a start/stop stream) to a combination of bladder wall contraction opposed by the sphincter spasming closed giving horrible urges without warning and often some leaking.  The latter is called Detrusor (bladder wall muscle) Sphinctor Dyssynergry (sp?).

What is your urologist's plan to treat this?

Quix
The diapers are not really all that bad.  I would be changing my clothes at least 3 times a day without them.  It sucks worse than anything else about this whole darn disease, but we are fighters and that's not going to be the thing that sends me into a spiraling depression.  It's okay, your not giving up when you by the depends.  What you are actually doing is saving yourself the work of mopping the floor over and over.  QUIX!

One more thing, you don't have to let your husband or boyfriend see them.  Do the simple thing and always go to the bathroom first and take them off then when the cuddle session (haha) is over you gotta go to the bathroom again any way right? hahaheehee

I'll be praying,
Carol
hi,i was telling my bh the other day that im going to have to go to depends....you know ya gaotta do what ya gotta do...no shame in that....take care ...deb
Please don't be afraid that you'll offend anyone with anything you say here.  This is what we're here for.

You have not been around long enough for the REALLY embarrassing things we have talked about!!

Please feel free to talk about anything you'd like to discuss.  You are having a rough go right now.  We're here for you.

Zilla*
Yeah, that's not the worst thing I've heard by any means!  

I get stress incontinence, whether I'm full or not.  I have to be careful when I laugh, sneeze, cough, whatever.  I also have the urgency and lack of control when approaching the toilet... managed to wet myself twice.  So far the muscles in that area are working okay, but I know I've got something broken - there's patches of numbness and things get tingly every once in a while... (but not in a fun way.)
I am not dxd with MS..gdtting worked up.  Neuro and I decided nt to do anymore but follow up MRI in 6 months.  I do have lesions.  Almost immediately after this decision I urinated alll over myself...Gross I was very glad that I was home.  I had a lilttle urge.

Is this what you mean?

Terrics