Multiple Sclerosis Community
PT ?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

PT ?

I have been wondering about this for a while now and maybe someone can't help me figure this out.

I have weak legs and am currently in Physical Therapy for this. But what I don't understand is how PT can help weak legs that are weakened by neurological damage.

I can understand that it helps when you are out of shape or had an injury that kept you off of a leg for a while. In that case you are working the muscles to get the stronger.

But how does doing PT strengthen  a leg were the damage is in your spine or brain?

Dennis
hi

have you had any tests like MRI, Bloods, anything???

how long have you been doing this?
did it come on suddenly or over a period of time,

PT strengthens your muscle and movements, it may not feel it, but if you didnt do it, would it get worse?????
Just my guess, here and you know I can often miss the mark but I'm thinking the PT is important to keep muscle tone and work on the coordination of muscles even when the nerbves are misfiring and causing problems.

You are right, I think, that PT is not going to help neurological problems.

But as I type this - what about reteaching the brain?  We know the plasticity and the ability for the brain to rewire its routes - perhaps PT helps us to work around those neuro damaged areas by promoting the rewiring?  We know exercise stimulates the brain.

Like I said, these are just guesses.

later,
Lulu

Ps didn't see the fawn today but I am off work tomorrow - maybe I'll catch another glimpse of these new neighbors.
Hi:

I saw your posting & I have been in physical therapy a couple times now with my MS.

I have noticed first hand the improvements from the strengthening of the muscles.  It does improve balance, coordination, and aides in, for example, moving your legs when they simply may feel like lead.  It can also help you keep range of motion that you currently have.

At least these are many of the things I benefited from.  I also benefited from physcial therapy as a use in pain management.

I hope you find the therapy will do some noticable positive things for you as well.

Good Luck!

Missing_me
sorry about my post i didnt read your history,

if you have MS, it doesnt matter how hard it is but while you can you have to keep moving, you do the best you can, but if you dont keep active, it could make you worse quicker, when they thought i had MS i knew that to keep my body and mind strong was to work at it, i know its hard, and eassier not too, but in the long run it can make things slower,
I guess the main reason I have been wondering about this is because how the PT is going right now.

In one of the exercises they put a rubber strip around my knees and have me pull them apart. When I first started going only the left leg would move when I did this. But after a while finally my right leg would move to the side. But then all of a sudden the right leg is no longer moving again. I guess that new path just got shorted out too. :)

This has been happening with a lot of the exercises in the go around of PT. I know I need the conditioning to keep my muscle in tone, but it also seems like a waste of time because I will be getting better and then back to square one.

Dennis

PS if you see the fawn again Lulu, try and get a picture if you can.
I went to PT similar to what you seem to be doing and it made me worse.  Yes is it important to keep moving but by overworking already easily tired muscles you can hurt yourself.  

It is important that the PT understands MS.  My first one did not.  I told my PCP exactly what Lulu said "They teach paralyzed people how to retrain their brain, they should be able to teach me"

So he sent me to a rehabilitation clinic and they started by working out the spasticity in my legs.  Their goal is to teach me how to exercise and strengthen muscles that will help releve strain on the not so good muscles.

Unfortunatly I have had an attack and a bunch of Dr issues since I started so i had to postpone the therapy, but I will keep you posted when I start up again.  Just know that Yes you have to keep moving, but you need to make sure it is the right kind of movement.

Take care
D
Hey there,

I'm sad that our profession has done such a terrible job with spreading the word of why and how PT can help.  PT is extremely effective with neuro disorders, but you have to be seeing a neuro PT.  Unfortunately, when people go to outpatient PT, they usually get an orthopedic PT.  Some ortho PTs are good with neuro patients - listens to the patient, understand limitations, sees the person as a whole etc.  But most ortho PTs simply don't have the skills to evaluate and treat someone with a chronic neuro condition.

PT should never make you worse - that's a sign of one who is not equipped to deal with your diagnosis.  Not many PTs specialize in treating patients with MS, but someone who specializes in stroke care is more likely to be able to work well with you than someone who sees shoulder and knee injuries all day.

If you still have movement in a muscle, then appropriate PT can help you maintain that function, strengthen what is left, encourage proper muscle recruitment, avoid unhealthy compensation, and stimulate new pathways.  

PT where they give you an exercise and walk away will never give you the best outcome.  Try to look for a clinic that does 1-1 care supervised by a PT the entire session.  They are hard to find, but they are worth it. If you can't perform an exercise correctly, they shouldn't have you do it, unless they are there with hands on care trying to train your body how to do it properly.  

Telling someone to do 10 reps is great for a knee surgery, but not appropriate for the neuro patient, because one day you could do 12 and the next only 7.  They have to be watching your form, and teach you how to watch and listen to your body in order to really be effective.
This is the second time I am writing this as I lost power just as I was about to post it, but hopefully I will remember everything I said.

Don't get me wrong about my therapists. They are great and do one on one therapy with me. They also seem to be very up on therapy for MS and strokes, The one therapist has told me on few times that I have the classic symptoms of MS and he is pretty sure that is my problem.

When I am having a problem with an exercise they will adjust it until I can work the muscle that they are trying to work on. And I do see some improvement.  as they are working with me. For example when I first started going this time I could not do a straight leg lift with my right leg.  All it would do is lay there and shake. So the therapist tried lifting my leg and then have me slowly lower it back down all the time slightly supporting the leg with his hand. The last time I went I could now lift that leg about 1 foot off of the table, it still shakes like crazy but I can lift it. So I don't think the exercises are making things worse.

I was talking more about the frustration of doing the exercises and things are going good, then all of a sudden you have lost everything you have gained. It is like my brain had learned a new path to control something in my body but then that new pathway gets burnt out also. I have been in an exasberation for a few months now and it is like what ever is messing with my brain is seeing the new connection and say to itself, hey there's new meat to destroy. I hope this make sense!

Dennis

I spent several weeks in PT for balance and coordination. I think without it I still would be with a tripod or a walker but this guy work with neuro deficits. I agree the PT you need to see is one who knows MS. Fatigue is not your friend.