Pain in Intercostal region
There is one particular spot just under the arm pit and side chest area (intercostal) that If I sit a certain way and try to take a deep breath it reacts with burning stabbing pain very sharp and debilitating.
I can also activate this pain when standing or walking by putting slightly more weight on the right side of body.
So this pain only comes on when i turn my body about 30degrees right.

I have previously had many mris brain full spine all clear from MS point of view. Followed up with neuro prior to this symptom and was told all clear he also did a complete check.
Chiro looked at me and said intercostal muscle problem.
Just wondering if this is what is called an Ms HUG. I have this burning spot for over a month.
Initially it started abit more towards the front of the chest region and now it has stayed towards the back rightside.

But it only hurts when i take a deep breath or quick movement on that side.

When ever i hear some one describe their pain as "burning"  It always makes me think, that it could be more nerve related than muscular. What you've described sounded familiar to something i once read on Intercostal neuralgia, I dont know anything about it though, it may be something to ask your dr about.

"The pain of intercostal neuralgia is due to damage or inflammation of the intercostal nerves. The pain is constant and burning in nature and may involve any of the intercostal nerves as well as the subcostal nerve of the twelfth rib. The pain usually begins at the posterior axillary line and radiates anteriorly into the distribution of the affected intercostal or subcostal nerves, or both."

http://www.gotpaindocs.com/intercstl_neurlga.htm

The MS Hug is more commonly described as a banding feeling, fully or partially around the torso. If you google 'what causes intercostal muscle pain' there are numerous hits that you might find helpful.

cheers......JJ  
Hi there JJ,

Thanks for the response.

I can self activate the pain when I make certain movements or breathing when I am sitting a certain way.
Does this sound like MS to you??

I am constantly surrounded by these weird things that are happening.

My test results are my sanity at the moment.;

I looked at intercostal neuralgia but it points to MS and thats why I have come undone.

What do you think?? I am seeing my GP tomorrow...
From my understanding of the MS Hug, i'd say it's not very likely and considering your dx and testing history, its more likely to be one of the other causes, because it can be caused by many things eg strain or injury etc. Keep in mind that at this stage, its only speculation that it is something like neuralgia, it may not be!

Your chiro said "intercostal muscle problem" and when i google those words, there are a lot of simpler explanations than MS. MS doesn't come up (for me) until well into the fifth page, and nothing more for MS until you get to the 10th page, thats only 2 hits out of 100. I think its too big a leap to be thinking what your experiencing is MS related, hopefully your GP can shed some light into what it is.

Cheers........JJ
Hi JJ,

So I was moving my arm around today and realised that when I move it in a certain motion this pain comes on. I mean the pain is burning like say you put your finger on a frying pan that hot.

The spot is localised to the one area. There are no other trouble spots just that area.

From my understanding MS attacks and you feel its presence. This pain is not constant it is self activated by my actions. I hope this helps explain what I am feeling.

I think it is nerve cause the chiro did say that the when you breath in and out these muscles expand and are hitting a nerve that's why its burning. But I am not sure whether this is an MS marker??? it also feels numb for like 2 seconds after the burning then goes away??

I guess it all honesty I am simply worried.

Could this be an MS symptom if the pain is self activated like when I move my arm. After all these MRIs over 3 years something would of been picked up demylenation etc. : )
I suspect you may be over reading things, usually anything that you can set off from certain action and is only fleeting, is more typical of a pinched nerve or muscle strain/pull type of thing, than what usually happens due to MS.

I know you're worried but sometimes if your overly anxious, you can inadvertently misinterpret and over look the more likely and simpler explanations because your only focused on MS as a cause. Take a deep breath, and speak to your dr about everything that you are concerned about, the dx's you already have, could be the explanation for it all.

cheers....JJ
Hi JJ,

I say my GP on Saturday .He told me the same thing.

He actually looked at me and said not this again. He wants to get a chest xray to be on the safe side. But he thinks its nothing.

Thank you for your support through this incident. It mentally drains me each time, but I am getting better : )