Multiple Sclerosis Community
Paraesthesia or something else?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Paraesthesia or something else?

So I woke up yesterday with a sore bit on my neck... felt like a scratch from one of my kids, but there's no sign of skin damage at all. Now i'ts spread so that the pain sensation rubs in a line from just behind my right ear all the way to my sternum. I've checked it thoroughly for signs of a bite mark or injury but can't see anything at all, and the only redness there is possibly due to me rubbing at it. I applied numbing cream to it but that had no effect at all.

Having ruled out the obvious, I'm starting to wonder if it's an MS paraesthesia? It feels like an open graze on the skin, and also feels like it's radiating heat, but looks fine to the eye and doesn't feel any warmer than the other side.

I only started Rebif three days ago, had yucky side effects last night from it because I forgot to take paracetamol with it. Does it sound like this could be related in any way to my MS or the Rebif or should I look further? It's really bugging me because the pain is right where my hair/collar/seatbelt/pillow/bedding all touch and it's driving me batty.

I'm wondering how long it will take for me to know what MS means to my body so I can stop wondering what are MS symptoms and what are other ailments.  

It sounds like an MS symptom to me.  I've had this symptom before.  I doubt it's the Rebif.  I'd call your neurologist.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm still getting used to having another possibilty to consider when things go awry.

Now it's giving me random jolts of pain making me jerk my head to that side and squint one eye. I must look ever so slightly weird lol. It also hurts when I have a cold drink and the cold liquid passes that bit of my throat.

Guess I'll call the neuro first thing Monday if its still hapening, although I'm not sure what she'l do.

Watch of signs of a rash and or itching... could be shingles.  I know I had pain before I broke out with rash and itching.
Debbie
~Live as if all your dreams came true~
Now theres a thought! Can shingles strike twice? I recall having them in my teens. Certainly I have enough stressful stuff going on to bring out an attack.

Footsie xoxo
Unfortunately it can... the varicella virus lies dormant in your system after your initial bout with chicken pox.  I have also had shingles and I hope that isn't the case cause honestly ... it's horrible.
Debbie
~Live as if all you dreams came true~
I shall keep my fingers crossed then that its "just" an MS thing then. I guess time will tell. :)

Footsie
Update: the random jolts of pain lasted for 4 days and although I would occasionally have an hour or two without one, most of the time they were coming several times a minute, every minute of the day even while I slept (or tried to).

I still have no idea what caused it but I'm glad it stopped.

Footsuie XOXO