Multiple Sclerosis Community
Paresthesia worsens when wearing pants

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Paresthesia worsens when wearing pants

I am having a real problem with paresthesia when wearing pants. It is there all the time but feels much, much worse when I wear anything. If anyone else has the same problem I would very much appreciate any tips on how you deal with it. For example what sort of material. Please don't suggest wearing dresses or skirts cos my wife will get the wrong idea!!!!

Brin
Hi, Brin, Welcome to the forum!  Are you diagnosed?  Or dealing with paresthesias for an unknown reason.

The hypersensitivity to touch is called allodynia.  It can be a real problem as it can interfere with clothing and intimacy.

I don't have the problem, but I have dealt with it in other contexts.

Yes, some people find that certain fabrics are better than others.  Some here have reported that soft fabrics like flannel or microfleece are better.  Have you tried flannel lined slacks?  If you have MS the downside could be the warmth.

In medical practice I found that sometimes it was the "movement" of the fabric on the skin that caused the problem.  I found that sometimes wearing a firmer fitting undergarment could relieve the intolerable burning or pain.  The undergarment fits to the skin and does not move so much.

Examples could be silk or Cuddleduds longjohns.

Also, have you spoken to a neurologist about trying to treat the paresthesias?

We have three good Health Pages on paresthesias and treating them.  You might read

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Multiple%20Sclerosis/Paresthesias---Things-That-Go-BUZZ-in-the-Night/show/378?cid=36

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Multiple%20Sclerosis/Nerve-Neuropathic-Pain---A-Primer/show/371?cid=36

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Multiple%20Sclerosis/General-Principles-of-Treating-Neuropathic-Nerve-Pain/show/452?cid=36

If you do go on treatment or if you have had a problem with meds please be sure to read the third one written by a pain management doc for us.

I hope others will drop by and add their experiences.  So....skirts or mu-mu's are out, huh?

Welcome again,

Quix
I wear pants that are really too loose for me, and look for pants made with fabric that is both soft, and has give to it, so that there is less chance of nerve constriction and/or irritation.

Around home I like to wear a flannel full length nightgown; maybe some flannel pajamas that look like you could wear them to the gym would be comfortable.  I also have some exercise clothes that are loose and comfortable at the waist.

Just be glad you don't have to worry about trying to wear a bra!  :o)

Welcome,

Kathy

Supersoft dressy fabric with a lot of drape - Tencel.

Q
Hi i get this with knickers i have to say so have to wear those awful baggy ones (blush) maybe thats why my husband left lol

also my bra when i get that tight band like a painful hug i can wear when i am having that, i also got very sensitive with trousers and even sheets at one point but that has passed buts its not fun.

take care
I have this problem with my arm; the slightest graze of fabric against my skin is a horrible, uncomfortable feeling.  When it's really bad, I wrap that arm snugly with an Ace bandage, and that helps.  Not very practical for legs, I guess, but perhaps may give you some other ideas.  Generally I find snugness to be what helps; for me, loose clothing because it grazes the skin, is more irritating to me.
If I have a localized spot that is really bad, I might apply a bandaid. But usually the sensations are too widespread for this. Microfiber helps for me.