Multiple Sclerosis Community
Please help me understand my MRI results and symptoms

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I am a 38 yr old female.
Symptoms- dizziness, severe daily headaches, eyesight loses focus, eye pressure. All lasting four months now. Doctor (general practitioner) said it was anxiety. To ignore them. Until I ended up in emerg and they ordered a CT scan. Then MRI two weeks later.

MRI results- Patchy area of subcortical white matter high T2/FLAIR signal in the right frontoparietal region. The appearances are non specific but possibly due to demyelination, vasculitis or chronic microangiopathic disease. A follow up MRI  is recommended in 6 months to monitor the stability of these findings.

My doctor (gp) danced around my questions. Gave me no answers. I had to actually demand a copy of the summary. I later ordered a disk from the hospital.
Could you please shed a little insight. As to what this could mean?
Saw optometrist to rule out optic neuritis. She said optic nerves didn't look swollen. 20/20 vision. Good control over eye movements.
Currently finding a new doctor. As I was for my neurologist appt. I was referred but don't know how long before I get the appt.

Thank you in advance for any responses = )
Hi Courtney -

While I'm still too newly diagnosed to help with the MRI results, you are making great progress with finding a new physician and seeing a Neurologist! Also, you found your way here so you are doing all of the correct things in order to find out what is going on with you.

I hope that others here may have better insight for you than I did. I simply wanted to welcome you and advise that the people here are very knowledgeable and hopefully will give you great advice.

Best wishes with the new doc and Neuro appt!
Lizzie
Thank you Lizzie!

I hope my response has found you in good health.
May I plz ask you how long your diagnosis took?
What were your 1st symptoms?
If you don't mind me asking.
You are always welcome!

My diagnosis was relatively very fast. I don't mind sharing, I will make it brief though as it is bathtime for the baby :)

My Dx came rather quickly. Presented Optic Neuritis Aug 12 while I was 10 weeks pregnant. Waited until I was 4 weeks postpartum for the MRI, DX 4/1/13.

First Symptoms that I ignored were:
-Fluid Retention in 2009 (too embarrassed to tell anyone)
-Leg Numbness in 2010 (thought it was due to an old sports/back inj)
-Facial Numbness in 2011 (thought it was sinus/allergies)

Others here are in limbo for multiple years, I am grateful that the Optic Neuritis is what literally opened my eyes to what was going on with my body. I was a relatively easy Dx for my Neuro and I hope that whatever is going on with you is just as easy as well!

Ask questions any time. I've learned so much since I've been lurking  here and the people are fantastic!

Hope you are enjoying your Sunday! I've just wrapped up mine with football.

Best Wishes,
Lizzie