Multiple Sclerosis Community
Port o cath advice?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Port o cath advice?

Today was day 1 of another course of solumedrol.
My last was January 24th.

The nurses are Hqving a harder time finding veins and suggested a port a cath since I seem to be going in for treatments monthly.

Any advice or experience?

I am currently in a wheel chair since I can't walk in a flare.  My muscles shake uncontrollably when I try to ut any weight on them.

Luckily I go for physical therapy and occupational therapy once a week and they can see the flare also.

I will not have to use the chair in the house Conde the flare passes but they want me to use it outside until I level out if that happens.  I and the neurologist are hoping that the copaxone will kick in and start slowing down the flares.

He said I should see a change by the sixth month.

I'll cross my fingers.

Thanks you to everyone.  I haven't been around because I am trying to stay off the computer.  It starts to consume my whole day.  I only go on when necessary.

Kerri
Oh Kerri, I wish you were feeling some relief.

I don't have any experience with this but wanted to send you a hug.

(((HUG)))
HUGS..............
no experience either but my nursing brain tells me it might be an option, port's have to be watched closely, but discuss it with your doctor first before you get excited over it....

there is another vein port they can put in (it reaches higher than a regular IV site) and my nursing brain won't let me pull the name of it forward but its good for days........I want to say tri but know that's not right, any nurse would know what it is called as would your doctor and nurses trained in it can put them in.  A cath would have to be put in by a doctor and I would think long and hard before doing that one, that drains directly into an artery.
A lot of times, they will put in a PICC Line (peripherally inserted central catheter) for long term IV therapy.  Is that what you are talking about?

Bob
Thanks Bob!!!!!
Yep, PIC line was what I was thinking of!
Sometimes my brain can't find itself!

Keep us posted!
Hi I had a line in for cancer treatment (most chemotherapy patients have a port or a line)  A port is under the skin, and in your shoulder.  A line is in the chest and the access is outside the body. Both require care. For example it to be flushed regularly even if you are not getting treatment.  if I have to do chemo again I will ask for a port, because I like that it is under the skin and not as visible etc.  as my veins are getting hard to poke now.   Many nurses/ doctors will not use the line.  I only found the transfusion/ chemo nurses use it since they are regularly treating patients with them.  If i went to ER or the blood lab etc they would still need to put in a regular IV/ or vein blood draw.
Hi,  I have a port.  I've had it for over 4years with no problems.  A port is a longer term option than a PICC line.

PICC lines have a line which protudes through the skin and has associated problems.  It requires regular dressings and is more prone to infection.  Because it needs dressings it limits the physical things u can do.  U have to be careful showering, swimming and exercising for instance.

With a port, it is implanted under the skin and only has an external line when it's being used. Therefore there are no dressings and no limitations to  swimming, showering etc.  

My port has been used hundreds of times with no problems at all.  If you don't need treatment for a while u can forget about it even being there. It just requires flushing once every 8weeks. This takes the infusion centre about 5minutes to do.  

I thoroughly recommend a port.  PICC lines are hideous, take it from someone who has had both.

Regards
teenyturner, thanks for sharing all that with us.  I always learn more from the people around here who are sharing their experiences.

Good luck, K./ Its good to see you around.
L
Thanks everyone.  I knew if I asked you all I would get what's needed.  Like I said, I have been avoiding the computer.  I am fairly housebound at this point and if I sit on the computer I will get sucked in for hours.  

I love this forum and will never leave for long.

Anyway,
Sidesteps...thanks for the hug...I really appreciate it.

Sarah and Bob....the nurses were talking about a port..not a pic.
The said if I had a pic, I would have to go in once a week, but with a port I would have to go monthly.  Since it seems that I am in there monthly at this point and my veins are not cooperating, a port sounds reasonable.
All in all, my neurologist will make the decision and I trust him.

Summerluvn...thank for your experience.  I appreciate it.

Teenyturner.....thank you so much.  I was wondering about it and if it was feasible but you helped me with your words and experience.  

Lulu...as always, thank you for your support.  I am waiting for the mountain to plateau for a while.

Everyone, thanks again.  I am tying to do what is best and am hoping the copaxone will start working in the next few months.  My neurologist feels confident and said that he can't change anything until we wait at least six months.

Love to you all,

Kerri