Multiple Sclerosis Community
Possible MS

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Possible MS

Ms Question

I have been unofficially diagnosed with MS I follow many of the symptoms that coincide with this and I am unable to get a diagnosis as of yet. What are some of the other diseases that are out there that can mimic it? and why is it so hard to diagnose?

BTW my spinal tap is clean and my blood work is clean as well except cholesterol, since everything is clean but i am getting worse leg pains and other problems that coincide. Since the tap is clean i was told by some that it is not MS and other say that it is not a conclusive enough test to determine either way, so which would that be? Seeing there is lesions on my c6 c7 spinal cord but nothing on the brain and my eyes are dilated differently with the left pupil being the biggest(overly dilates) and the right is smaller ( but doesn't seem to respond much to light) so i am wondering if they are both a direct cause and broke. Occasionally i have spots that are black in my vision that i can not see through but they go away almost as quick as they come. Help me please, I can give any information that is needed.

What are the odds of it being a wrong diagnosis?
Hi Damien,

I am also awaiting dx but from what I understand, a negative LP does not mean you dont have MS. Like you were told it is not conclusive.  Other diseases can also give a positive LP too.

I am not sure but I remember hearing that if you have spinal lesions only and eye problems, specifically Optic Neuritis , you should get checked out for Devics disease.
Just google it for more info.

Unfortunatly it can take many years to get a dx. In my case it has been 4 years. Only a possible MS at this stage.
When did u last have an MRI?? was it with contrast?? Do you have a normal neuro exam and do you have relapses??  Another words there is a Mcdonalds criteria for dx.  If you click on the health pages top left, it will tell you more about this.

Hope you find answers soon.
Mistylee

When did u last have an MRI?? was it with contrast??

About a month or two ago and yes it was with contrast. Shows lesion c6 c7 area

Do you have a normal neuro exam and do you have relapses??

Not sure how to answer this all the way but some of my tests are normal others like checks for spasticity are not (overly iguess it would be sensitive reflxes), tremors both sides, leg weakness both sides and upper strength loss both sides, Cluster headaches (one side of head only) usually same side, memory is not the geatest, off balance.

if there is something more specific that you want to know i can tell you but i am unsure otherwise what else you are asking i am sorry.
They are saying that it is cervical degenerative disk disease now. and that the lesion is the result of the spinal cord being pinched. So that was good news to hear that it is not ms yet I still carry the other symptoms that follow MS. Aniscortia, bladder issues, leg and arm weaknesses. right arm atrophy (due to the c6-c7 lesion), amongst others. Will keep posting to see if anything seems out of the ordinary to someone that has this issue and sees something for me to question.
What did your doctor say about the abnormal pupil size?  This can't be caused by the lesions in the C6-7 area.  Have you been to an opthamologist?  

Was Devic's disease (NMO) ruled out?

Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy can be a VERY close mimic of MS.  I gather that as they looked at your cervical spine, they could see that there was pressure on your spinal cord.  Is this correct?  If so, then all of the symptoms you mentioned could easily be caused by the damage to the cord - the urinary problems, the arm and leg weakness.  Remember that all the nerves to the lower part of the body pass through the cervical cord.

The balance will be affected by this because the signals of position and gravity from the body also have to pass through the cervical cord.  Pressure on the cord will also make the reflexes hyperactive.

The anisocoria could be congenital.  Often it is never discovered until someone does a neuro exam.

So, it sounds like they may have found the culprit - IF there has been pressure on the spinal cord.  Are they thinking about surgery?

Quix

I am not following what you mean by congenital. Could you explain that? I have been to the eye doctor but he was a quack and said it was a plant that is causing this that was not in bloom yet and is not blooming anymore (it has been almost a year i had this) and he said that is what is causing it. Needless to say that have not been paid fully.

Not sure what they are going to do yet as I cannot afford the visits to a nuerologist to get the help that i need. I am not sure about damaage anywhere else in the spine and I cannot work as standing kills me after too long. (bout 1 - 2 hours) this does not have to be constant standing either. i am looking into ways to see if i can get the help i need and I have been told by the doctor t file for disability to get the medical coverage i need.