Multiple Sclerosis Community
Possible MS

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Possible MS

My husband started having facial numbness about 2 weeks ago to the left side of his face (including the left side of his tongue). He does not have facial drooping, just numbness. He was diagnosed with graves disease in January. Anyways....we went to the neurologist, they did a MRI on Thursday and it showed a spot, on Friday they did a spinal tap.  WBC were normal, he had pressure of 26 which is elevated, and elevated blood sugar in the CSF. He is 31 years old. Our neurologist said if he had to guess, he would guess multiple sclerosis. For some reason I refuse to believe this. Oh and the proteins were normal in the spinal tap. Can someone just give me advice or something? We are scared to death!
Sounds like the doctor went off the one spot, which is absolutely ridiculous to say it might be MS because of that.

You can get spots from anything. Migraines can even cause spots to appear.

And doesn't there normally have to be at least 2 spots before considering MS or something, or so I've read?

Looks like you'll have to get more testing done. And facial numbness is found in alot of other diseases. Has he had any other kinds of symptoms over the past few years you know about? Unsteadiness, dizziness, etc?

I cannot stand doctors who don't know and then just start guessing or assuming.
First of all, I am sorry for what you and your husband are going through. My wife and I have been there and it's no fun......

It is possible to have MS and have your o-cb level in your spinal fluid be normal (at least that's what my nuerologist told me......) Has your husband had an MRI of his c-spine and his brain? Have you guys considered getting a second opinion?

The prospect of having MS can be pretty scary for sure. Mike is right in saying that facial numbness can be found in other things so don't jump to any conclusions until you know for sure. There are some great people here that can offer support and answers at times that you are scared to death.

The road is bumpy somtimes. Hang in there,

Tom
I am very sorry to hear of your fears, they are no doubt stressful and that may contribute to any symptoms.  

I have had Graves disease.  It turned into Hashimoto's.  Hopefully your husband is seeing a reputable endocrinologist.  If not, I strongly urge you to find one nearby.  Graves disease does need to be monitored, and the numbers for thyroid normal function have been updated. A lot of primary care physicians still go by the old numbers.  Let the endo know of his other symptoms and have him/her refer you if needed to a new neuro.  Also it is important to have the recent test results linked with the endo, as many specialists only look at their realm of expertise not knowing what else may be going on.

I am now undergoing tests for MS.  Since diagnosis with Graves, and subsequent Hashimoto's I too had my face go numb, that was several years ago.  One spot on the MRI is not reason for fear, but it is reason to keep a symptom chart, and be very persistant with pc/endo/neuro and let them know of any changes.  You may also wish to consult with a MS specific neuro.

Graves disease is an autoimmune disease, so is MS.  When you have an autoimmune disease you are a little, I stress LITTLE, more susceptible to to other autoimmune diseases.  I am finding out through this forum, constant learning about MS and pushing my neuro to listen to me that it is a very difficult disease to diagnose and can take quite some time if not years.  Be ever vigilant.
Hey Tomas! He did have a MRI and it showed one spot. I am just a nervous wreck! I am so glad I found this place though! We are still waiting on the rest of his spinal tap results...they should be here in about 2 weeks. He hasn't had any other symptoms besides the left side of his face being numb and his tongue. I mean he is still playing sports and is very active. I'm just lost:(
I've read that location is more important than #. If a neuro can diagnose m.s based on clinical findings, then I believe one lesion is enough to at least make them suspect something. Again, location, along with symptoms and labs, will create a clearer picture.
Your neuro has not dx'ed your husband yet has he? It sounds like he is in the process of trying to figure out what your husband might have going on, and mentioned m.s as a possibility. The McDonald Criteria do not state that a person cannot have m.s unless they have X amount of lesions. Take a look at it if you get a chance--it is very helpful.
It sounds like your husband has a neuro who is doing what he should to get to the bottom of things. I never hurts to get a second opinion.
My wife could sympathize with you... She has gone through a lot during this whole MS thing. I can only imagine what you guys feel..... Keep your chin up and keep us posted on what happens with your husband.

Tom
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum, I'll echo what some have said here.....That doctor absolutely should not have "guessed" MS from one spot, numbness, and incomplete results of the CSF (your waiting on the banding report).

I'm sorry you are in this perdicament. MS is a very difficult disease to dx a lot of times, and I urge you to see another neuro if you notice other causes of hubbys problems are not being explored.

Here to say - don't be scared. Though I can completely see why you are. Is his face still numb? So many other possible causes of what he is experiencing, and I hope you doc is super thorough with the investigation. If not, run to another doc :)

Thanks for joining us!
-Shell
p.s. I posted a mimic post that I feel you will be interested in reading.